1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stumbling around the internet...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Joey, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Joey

tiny tiny University in northern Maryland
    I came upon a forum that is full of professors, adjunct professors and university faculty and stuff. And looking through the topics I found one on "diversity" and this brought out a pretty... strange memory from 2 years ago (or so)
    Back in my freshman year of college, I was doing the whole "coming to grips with my sexuality" thing and I was incredibly depressed, couldn't eat, couldn't sleep on the verge of a mental breakdown thing. And my adviser (a very gung-ho accepting type fella, very religious) arranged a meeting with me because he had seen that I'd lost upward of 20 pounds, was always haggard and tired and sickly looking and my performance had plummeted. So, in the meeting he showed me into his office and shut the door behind me and asked what was going on. So, I told him what I was thinking about at the time and stuff and he calmly said "Joe, I think you should find a new adviser... I'll arrange to have you transferred immediately."
    Which sent me up the wall! I was actually furious at him. But whatever... I guess it was something he wasn't comfortable with.

Anyways, just a little story I thought I'd share with you.

2. No One

so wait he didnt want to be your adviser any more cause you are gay!!!!!!!!!!
    that would make me mad too

3. Lava421

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey, I may be assuming wrong, but it seems the guy was trying to be tolerant but couldn't completely get there. He could have lectured you about the sins of homosexuality, but, rather, he tried transferring you to somebody more competent than him. If he considers a better adviser as somebody who's tolerant and doesn't "cure" homosexuality, good for him.

4. Derek the Wolf

Some people will make the effort, but in their mind they simply can't get past their prejudices. They honestly want to do what's right but they're not sure how. I'd try to reconnect with this professor of yours, and just chat with him. See how's he's changed, you may be surprised. :slight_smile:

5. Joey

tiny tiny University in northern Maryland
    He was just an intro course instructor for me. He does economics and whatnot so I don't really have a reason to see him.... and I haven't seen him since the end of freshman year.

6. MusicIsLife

It sucks that he wasnt totally accepting, but hey it could have been way worse. When i first came out to my mom i was stressed out and paranoid about everything so i had a visit with my therapist, who is also quite religious, but surprisingly very accepting. I was lucky.