1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay marriage debate

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by vampireboy56, Oct 3, 2008.

1. vampireboy56

vampireboy56 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    In my Media Focus program we talked about "Spongebob Squarepants" and this boy said that his uncle was watching it and said "Spongebob is turning boys gay" I immediatley objected to that and we got on this whole debate about gay marriage and rights, I said "Why can't gay people get married" the boy said "Because they're faggots" So anyway on Friday me and him are debating...this is my speech so far

Gay and Lesbian people should be allowed to be married and should be treated equally, after all we all are just human. Native Americans, women, blacks, Hispanics, and gays are the greatest victims in history. They have been discriminated against for all of history.
    Gay and Lesbian people aren’t different than us, they are human they feel feelings like love, happiness, sad, pain they just like someone of their own gender.
    I’ve seen so many movies and TV shows where two girls have kissed and it was deemed ‘acceptable’ and ‘hot’ but when two guys on the other hand kiss, it’s disgusting and morally wrong. HELLO!!!! It’s the same exact thing.
    There are many slanders for gay people, like fag, faggot, homo, queer, lesbo, and dyke. These slanders are just like racial slurs, how would you feel if someone came up to you and said ‘Hey Mexican can you mow my lawn?’ or if you were African American someone said ‘Hey Negro do you want some watermelon and friend chicken’ or an Asian person ‘Hey Ching-Chong do you want to do my math homework?” those insults are just as bad as the gay slurs.
    Jesus Christ our Savior said “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” And yet homosexuals are killed, tortured, discriminated and denied housing, and jobs and now marriage rights.
    Where in the Bible does it condemn gay marriage? NO WHERE! The Bible was not God’s word because God loves everyone he created gay, straight lesbian whatever.
    Gay people have been killed for being who they are, like Matthew Sheppard who was beaten to death, Brandon Teena, who was shot and killed, Larry King who was shot and killed for being gay.
    People have been killed for being black, white, Jewish, Mormon, Muslim, Mexican, Asian, a woman, a man, gay, lesbian, transgendered, and bisexual.
    If two straight people can get married and the man might beat his wife or cheat on her or the woman might cheat on her husband why can’t two men or woman who love each other get married?
    The reason people are so afraid of gay people is because they’re jealous that gay people had the courage to be who we are, people who make homophobic slurs are propaly unsure of their own sexuality.
    There is nothing wrong with being gay like there is nothing wrong with being white, black, Jewish, Morman, asain, latino, a woman, a man.
    We were taught to accept people for who they are in our faith and by our parents and yet we continue to discriminate.
    This whole debate was brought on by the popular children’s television show Spongebob Squarepants who the main character has been known to have homosexual tendencies, like he wears pink underwear, a dress.
    What boy you know doesn’t wear pink, I see straight boys with pink shoes, pink shirts, pink shoelaces.

2. pwnorton

wow

i REALLY like that. except i think you need more of a conclusion. oh wait, you said that this is your speech "so far."

i would, however, change Larry King to Lawrence King, just in case people don't understand and think you're talking about the old guy on CNN.

but so far, this is a very good speech

good luck on friday!

3. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Can I make a suggestion? Try not to sound angry. When I was reading it, I felt like you are angry. Now, I know you have every right to be as I am but people are going to be more responsive if you don't speak with an angry tone.

Secondly, don't say the Bible is not the word of God. This is just going to rile alot of people. Instead you can say, "I know many think the Bible is the word of God however it was written by man and men make mistakes." You can talk about a few passages like in Levictus where it says wearing mixed clothes fabrics are an abomination yet we don't follow that in this century. It is wrong for people to pull things out of the Bible to oppress a minority.

Here are some good websites that might help you write your speech:

http://www.religioustolerance.org/hom_marr_menu.htm

www.freedomtomarry.org

http://changingminds.org/

4. vampireboy56

vampireboy56 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  5. No One

I deff. agree with everything you said but i also agree with pwnorton and beckyg you may want to re-word something just to be careful but other than that i think you are doing a very good job keep up the good work and i hope to hear the end soon, hope the debate goes well