1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Biden, Palen and that pesky marriage thing

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by beckyg, Oct 3, 2008.

1. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
  2. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Any answer filled with the word "choose" is a weak answer to me, concerning same-sex rights and benefits. Palin is a master at disappointing me.

3. Noah

I don't like the fact that they both are against gay marriage :frowning2:

4. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Gay marriage will be the last big hurdle for equality for glbt Americans. Mainstream politicians just aren't ready to commit to that yet because so many people are still against it. It would damage their chances of winning elections. Sad but true. I think marriage will be won through Supreme court decisions much like interracial marriages were. However, Biden will commit to every other glbt issue including civil unions.

Funny, I saw a political ad today from Gordon Smith who is our Republican Senator here in Oregon. He co-sponsored the Mathew Shepard act with Senator Kennedy and was boasting about that in his ad. Things are changing when a Republican is using his support for a gay issue in his campaign ads! There are alot of right wing Republicans who would never support adding sexual orientation and gender identiy to hate crimes laws including Sarah Palin. So who is he trying to win over with this ad? Obviously he feels he doesn't have enough support in the Republican party.

We ARE moving in the right direction. Its just going to take awhile to get to full marriage rights.

5. pwnorton

I think I understood the two of them a little differently.

To me, it seems as though Biden DOES support equal marriage, but he didn't say that exactly, because, as Becky said, it would damage his chances at winning. He said that he doesn't want to RE-DEFINE the TRADITIONAL definition of marriage, but that doesn't mean he doesn't support gay marriage. He's leaving the definition of marriage to the different faiths. He is totally in favor of extending all Constitutional rights to same-sex committed couples.

Palin, on the other hand, explicitly said that she does not support same-sex marriage of AT ALL. She does not want to let same-sex couples have the same rights as heterosexual couples (except like visitation rights, which she said she does support).

When she said "Your question to him was whether he supported gay marriage and my answer is the same as his and it is that I do not," she was twisting his words around.

But that's just my interpretation of the debates.

6. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel the same way about that portion of the debate, Becky. I didn't like the use of the word 'tolerant'. It is disappointing that none of our presidential candidates (I'm not sure if any 3rd parties are) are fully supportive of same-sex marriage. It will happen. There's no turning backwards with this issue, it's just a matter of time. I for one hope it's really soon. :slight_smile:

7. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was expecting Palin to dodge the gay marriage question. And her twisting Biden's words won't do her good either if the media decide to go along with it.

I highly doubt that Gay marriage will come for a LONG long time. But as long as GLBT rights are equal I don't care. America is the most gay country in the world (equal #1 with Australia - 17% of people in these countries are gay) and yet the current set of GLBT rights are horrible for western countries.
    Americaland should be leading in GLBT rights, so it's about time they caught up.

>_> Next up is for Australia to get some better GLBT rights like civil unions (we used to have Marriage until our idiotic old Prime Minister modified the marriage laws to say that it is "the union of a man and a woman" instead of "the union of two people"). I'm curious as to whether the Australian government will follow the US in this regard seeing as in past we've been dictated by what the US does.

8. LOVEjames

*giggles* It was sorta funny to me watching the Debate. I mean, in all honesty, to go on a stage and say that being gay is a choice? Sortakinda lost a lot of votes, even if you're a Republican. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I know two people who were leaning towards McPalin and went over to OBama/Biden because of that statement.

9. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Whoo hoo! :grin:

10. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was a little confused by that part - "Biden has already given his answer and I agree with him on that, so we have the same opinion of this issue and that is no, I do not support it."

Couple of words too many, there.

11. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^Yeah and when she began and she was like "Wellllll........ If it means redefining what we call Marriage". That made me laugh. She sounded as if it wasn't a question of real importance and she just wanted to get the hell out of there.

12. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Personally, I'd like to see where this "definition of marriage" is written. The social union of two people far precedes the Supreme Court or Christian church. I want to know just what "definition" she's pulling this from.