1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AAAAH! Im in Sydney! woot woot

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by neverover, Sep 21, 2008.

1. neverover

im on vacation here in sydney. im so happy i finally got here. my friends said that aussie is the most gay friendly country ever. and yeah, im here. i travel a lot in townhall. i really wanna check the gay scene here, but ... where? everywhere i see hot straight guys, i dont see two men kissing on public like i read in the fairytale book... but oh, well! as long as im gettin my ipod touch 2nd gen here. heheh

2. nickmc

WOOT! Sydney is great! I've just had a weekend there by myself (in Aussie for a friend's wedding) and totally fell in love with Sydney! Didn't get to check out the night-life or gay scene but apparently Oxford Street? Some Aussie members might be able to help you more, but Oxford Street is pretty gay-friendly at least :lol:

Have a great holiday

3. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    *whispers* Melbourne's better.
    As far as I know, Oxford Street's the place to go. Try checking out the Mardi Gras site, it has some good recommendations.

4. neverover

the oxford st? i heard lady gaga is performing next wednesday in oxford st. im deff gonna check it out!

5. JayC

JayC Guest

omg you are gonna get to see Lady Gaga I am so jealous. And u are in Australia you are living my dream. take me with you next time! i a great companion!!! :slight_smile:

6. JayC

JayC Guest

:goodevil:

7. EthanS

EthanS Guest

8. InaRut

*Whispers* Canada's better..

But congrats :slight_smile:

9. davo-man

*whispers* Adelaide's bette......haha nup couldnt finish that sentence with a straight face :grin:

Although Adelaide is awesome too :slight_smile:

Anyway, I hope you have fun in Sydney, and hope Lady Gaga is great :grin: Have an awesome trip!

10. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    *shouts* MELBOURNE'S BETTER! :grin:

Lol seriously though have fun. I've heard a lot of stories of gays going crazy (aka sex) on oxford street. Is this true?

11. Gumtree

Hey there and welcome to Sydney!

A few tips!

Newtown, Surry Hills and Darlinghurst are the most significantly gay area's!

My favourite club is the Columbian, it's not 100% gay so you find a few straight couples, straight girls and Bi guys there. It's about 140m east of Hyde Park on Oxford St (kind of central city).

Oxford street isn't a strictly gay area for those who are asking. There are a LOT of gay bars and clubs on the street (there are all over Sydney nowdays) but there are also some straight ones. Oxford is considered gay because it hosts the Mardi Gra parade.

Some area's I would suggest avoiding when looking for gay orientated events are Maroubra and Coogee beach (don't go out in the western suburbs much so I can't comment)

King Cross despite all the gossip and drama said about it is actually a pretty cool place (avoid Wednesday nights though as it attracts a rather homophobic crowd)

Bondi and Oxford St are awesome during the day for fun (and perving :grin:)

Good luck and hope you enjoy yourself!

#11 Gumtree, Sep 21, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  12. Tim

Tim

*whispers* America's better... oh wait...

Canz I come with? =p

13. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, America's not so great... But I was thinking that too!

14. dictionary

It is verry clear that melbourne is better....

15. TriBi

^ Except that Melbourne has been freezing cold and unpleasant - while Sydney has been having glorious sunshine and temperatures 10DegC above average (and probably 15Degs above Melbourne's average for this time of year).

Of course, if you like trams...and rain...and cold...:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Anyway - hope you enjoy!

16. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey, don't forget that Melbourne is the fashion, shopping, sporting, cultural, [insert the rest here] capital of Aus. ;P

17. Gumtree

Yes but Sydney is the gay capital.

But I do agree that Melbourne is overall a nicer city if the weather is nice on both ends.

The shopping (excluding mainstream stores) is waaaaaaay better, the fashion and people are so much better and the food just outright shits all over Sydney.

But the terrain and climate is crap :/

18. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love the fact that Melbourne's weather is all over the place. The skyline's feel completely changes depending on the weather.

19. dictionary

There are soooo manny reason why melbourne is better....

Found this on faceook..
    read this one http://www.smh.com.au/news/national...ty-ofthe-future/2008/09/13/1220857897713.html it outlines how we are better than sydney..

20. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^OK there's one mistake with that. Chadstone isn't the largest shopping center in the southern hemisphere, and Melbourne doesn't have the largest. It has the THREE LARGEST. Knox City Shopping Centre, Fountain Gate Shopping Centre and Chadstone.
    And then heaps of Melbournian shopping centres are all over the list.

Also continuing on with the architecture point, six of the ten tallest buildings in Australia are from Melbourne, AND three more buildings which are being built will be in the top ten over the next few years. BTW another mistake, Eureka isn't the tallest residential building in the world. Q1 is, but that's because they stuck a 60M toothpick on top of it. Eureka is the tallest to roof, number of floors and highest habitable floors.

Also Melbourne city isn't all grid-based. The CBD is a grid, and then the newer areas such as Southbank and the Docklands aren't on the grid, but they're still easy to navigate at least.

And talking about navigating around Melbourne, is IS easy! If you get lost, you just need to identify a landmark you know and you'll be easly able to tell where you are.