1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's over, after 17 years

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Paul_UK, Aug 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. silentsound

(*hug*)
    It sounds to me like you're making the right choice, even though it is hard. It is good that you are handling things calmly and controlled, and it is important that you continue to communicate. I hope you both find happiness in the future, best of luck ♥ (*hug*)

2. TriBi

Paul, I'm sorry - for both of you.

I hope you can continue to sort things out amicably and remain friends - and that the whole process isn't too stressful. (*hug*)

3. Fiorino

Paul, sorry to hear about that, but I agree that you're making the
    right decision. I hope that you two work it out amicably, and it seems
    like that's you two are doing. If you ever need any support, you can
    count on me and of course the rest of ec. I wish you two the best.
    (*hug*)(*hug*)

4. panda

Paul, That took a lot of courage. I sit here admiring you for admitting that a dead relationship is not worth continuing.
    That's taken a lot of courage and belief in yourself.
    Good for you.:thumbsup:

5. Sam

Sam

I replied to a thread earlier not sure when but I want you to know that no matter how hard it seems I think you made the right choice. We are all here for you if you need to talk. It's better to be apart and happy than together and miserable. Eventually things will get better and I'm sure the both of you will remain friends.

6. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I won't hug you yet once more, I think you're sore by now after being hugged by everyone else.

There isn't much I can say, except maybe that if you need to talk, I'm here anytime...

Fred

7. Aw that's rough Paul. We're all here for you if you need anything.

8. Vampyrecat

I think the fact that you had 17 years of partnership is a wonderful thing. And if it is time to move on then that's what has to happen, even if it is tough.
    I'm also glad you're going to help out markie. I'm sure he appreciates that.

(*hug*) (*hug*)

9. biisme

I'm sorry that things changed, but like everyone has said, at least you had a lot of great years together. I really hope that you guys manage to work it out and stay friends.

(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)

10. otc877

otc877 Guest

Though I've never spoken to you very personally, I somewhat knew this was coming from the tone in which you would mention Markie. I'm sure this is a difficult, or at least foreign experience for you, I wish you two the best of luck in whatever your relationship melds into.

From an outsider's view, it seems as though you've made a good decision for the both of you. I hope Markie isn't too upset.

My condolences//congratulations,
    Chaz

11. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Thanks everyone. Your comments mean a lot to me. (&&&)

I'll try to update this thread each day or whenever there is something to report.

Today Markie has been out quite a lot as expected. There seems to be a bit of an awkward silence, not totally silent but not as much of the odd trivial few words etc (such as "just going to mow the lawn" and comments about the weather). Hopefully this will pass soon. We're probably still getting used to the new limits and situation etc.

He's got Tuesday off work (Monday is a public holiday here) and is off to see his sister Monday and Tuesday. I think the break and time apart will do us both good.

I told my sister, Jill, on the phone yesterday evening. She has now joined EC as JillyBean so she could read my blog, and I hope she will get involved here. She was a bit shocked as she assumed we would be together forever. She has told her kids and our mum, and I spoke to mum this morning too. It's more difficult with mum to know how she feels. However mum, Jill and the kids want to keep in contact with Markie and he wants to keep in touch with them, so hopefully that will happen.

I think I'm still a bit shell-shocked by it all. I'm tired, have a headache and little enthusiasm to do anything.

12. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Someone needs the magically mood-lifting Uruguayan Alfajores, I think... *sends some* (And I'm totally capable of actually doing it)

*hugs*

13. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Paul. I am sorry that it came to that but I think you did the right thing. Going separate ways is never easy at first but with time, things will look up. Having a bit of time apart and time to yourselves might be good for the both of you. It is a lot to go through and hard at first, but you will get through it. (*hug*)

14. Latinokid

Latinokid Guest

Wow! Well I just know that things will work themselves out and for me things happen for a reason. Sp I guess it was time for you and Markie to move on. I hope you're doing okay as well as him ..I can only imagine how hard and sensitive these times may be. I would just try to make the best of it. Hugs =]

15. Latinokid

Latinokid Guest

A friend on facebook had this quote and it just struck me....and when I was reading your story Paul it just came up in my mind. So I thought I might share it with you.

All things mellow in the mind,
    A slight of hand,
    A trick of time
    And even our great love will fade
    Soon we'll be strangers in the grave
    That's why this moment is so dear,

I kiss your lips
    And we are here,
    So let's hold tight,
    and touch and feel
    For this quick instant,
    We are REAL.
    -anonymous poet

16. Knowing Me

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    (*hug*)
    I'm sorry.

17. InaRut

Paul. That really sucks man. But you gotta do what you gotta do. Break ups are never easy. But the aftermath will eventually fade. Just stick through with it, if you feel it's right.

18. Lava421

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Your break up sounds anti-stereotypically-gay to me. Where's the drama?

Heh, I mean, you two both sound mature. And I hope you're optimistic and note that, because things could be much worse. Good luck. :slight_smile:

19. ccdd

ccdd Guest

I'm really sorry (*hug*) (*hug*)

There'll probably be a period of readjustment, but then hopefully it should all get better (*hug*). I wish you both the best as you go your separate ways, and that you manage to remain friends (*hug*) (*hug*)

20. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Today he seems to be back to almost normal. The normal chat is there, just missing the "love" and "dear" words. I'm wondering whether he is in denial? It made for a more pleasant and normal day though, which is good.

He also mentioned that he may stay here as house-mates, but then a bit later he said "when I move out", so that's obviously not settled in his mind yet. It's only been two days though, and there is no rush.

He's going to see his sister tomorrow and coming back on Tuesday evening, so I think that will be a good break apart for both of us.

I had a quick look at the financial implications earlier, and wish I hadn't! If we sell this place now we will come out in debt so it will be better to keep it until prices improve. So the best option financially is for him to stay here. Second best is for him to rent somewhere but remain joint owner of this place until we can sell it at a profit. Anyway that's something to come back to once we he has a better idea of what he wants, with the aid of a solicitor or financial advisor.

I don't mind if he stays here, as long as he has fully accepted that we are no longer a couple, and doesn't mind if I bring someone back for the night or whatever. That's when things could get difficult, and will show whether he has really accepted.

Anyway it's still early days and I'm getting ahead of myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.