1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2012?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SqueakyBubbles9, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Fiddledeedee

I think that there is a very small possibility that the world will end in 2012; the same possibility that it will end in 2100, tomorrow, three weeks from Tuesday, or in 2013. It will not end like they say, though (time- and manner-wise). I prefer to dwell on things like the possibility that the world was created last Thursday. :wink:

2. Just Adam

I call bull.

I just say either we never found the later calendars or they were wiped out before they could start one.

Back then thinking we were centre of universe and Earth was flat its not hard to believe every year would be your last lol

3. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually the Mayans and the Ancient Egyptians didn't believe the world is flat. They actually knew of the planets in our solar system. They just didn't knew about the 2 outer most planets.

it was the Romans who believed the world was flat and their believes spread out across Europe!

4. candyapple

lets hope not thats means i wont make it to my 21st anyway its the same bs with Y2K ahh haha and nothing happened but my little bro is making me buy water bottles and stupid stuff that i would buy anyway so it doesnt hurt if it makes him feel better. i guess we will just have to wait and see lol

5. 4alex6

Ehh, I don't think anything bad is going to happen to Earth but I do think there might be some mass suicides because of the panic and fear surrounding 12/21/12. It will be very interesting to see what happens.

6. Just Adam

It was an example. That's why I said we as in my ancestral people used to think earth flat you could get in a boat and fall off edge of the world.

All I was saying was if people can believe that sort of thing then people as a whole can easily believe there is soon at every corner.

At the en of this age the world shall end and begin a new. A new age will rise. That sort of thing.

7. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just Adam... head over to the "World economy" threat... check what i have said about the one world order. That is more ore less what the Mayans also thought... or so i think.

8. LowestVocal017

*sighs*

And, I'm still waiting for the Robots of Year 2000 to come out and attack......

9. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is a good one :roflmao:

10. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Well I heard its going to end on 20th this month, AND October.. :rolleyes:

11. LowestVocal017

Aside from it being hilarious (which wasn't my original intention), I was also implying a deeper point: so far, I am convinced that superstitions in regards to the "End of the world/mankind" or the "destruction of the world/mankind" is a bit preposterous, for so far, none of them have yet come true; Y2K's attack has not yet come true (it's now more than 10 years later!), and I have a strong intuitive confidence that 2012's world destruction, whether it's a "firesnake" (comet) hitting the Earth as predicted by the Mayans or Grave natural disasters from the apocalypse as predicted by superstitious Christian prophecies, will not come true either.

(On a side note: even if it such terraultima were to become true, it would happen so fast, we wouldn't be existent after a blink of an eye to take so much of a note of the physical/emotional pain of dying. So, why even worry about it? See what I mean? :wink:)

12. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aside from it being hilarious (which wasn't my original intention), I was also implying a deeper point: so far, I am convinced that superstitions in regards to the "End of the world/mankind" or the "destruction of the world/mankind" is a bit preposterous, for so far, none of them have yet come true; Y2K's attack has not yet come true (it's now more than 10 years later!), and I have a strong intuitive confidence that 2012's world destruction, whether it's a "firesnake" (comet) hitting the Earth as predicted by the Mayans or Grave natural disasters from the apocalypse as predicted by superstitious Christian prophecies, will not come true either.

actually the Y2K was something else, the people blew it out of proportions.
    It is down to individual computer's BIOS a small little chip that held the computer's hardware preference including the date. Y2K referred to the date function. When the BIOS chips were first developed people thought the year 2000 is way of to far and we might not reach it, plus making the chip go beyond the date required more data and more space on the chip which technology of that time could not have provided. So the BIOS went only to 1999.

What made this the Y2K bug, was most software picked the date from the BIOS including accounting software and you know... wall street computers trading in stocks. If the date changed from 31 December 1999 it would have gone to 1 January 1968 (more or less depending on the manufacturer. That means all accounting ans stocks trading software would trade in history instead of present and had severe consequences in the economical world. This was fixed how ever with a little software hack which picked up the change of date but fixed it so it would go to a jan 2000.

The BIOS chips were fixed afterwards how ever.

13. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't recall the firesnake prediction nor that it was in 2012. Right now the ONLY real doomsday potential is 2036. If asteroid Apophis does pass through the 400 metre keyhole in 2029, it will collide with Earth on April 13, 2036. But this is a relatively small keyhole for such a large object to pass through. Right now the chances of the collision is 1 in 250,000.

14. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't put much stock in such kind of prophecies. Except perhaps this prediction: As soon as december 22nd 2012 comes along, new prophecies will be conveniently "dicovered" or "decoded" which "prove" the world will end in a date in the future that is close enough to be in our lifetimes, yet not close enough that you don't have time to give all of your money to the prophets of this coming doom :wink:

However, no accepted theory or evidence points towards the possibility of rogue planets appearing (not without decades of advance warning), energy waves from the galactic plane (which is a diffuse band anyway) or other such sudden disasters.

And while I do have great respect for the astrological accuracy of the Mayan calendar, I don't think it gave them any deeper insights in the details of life on earth. Let's not forget they also believed you had to ritually bleed by pulling thorny twigs through your tongue every day, or the sun would stop rising. Or that all current research pints towards their situation collapsing because of rampant environmental abuse (though those findings do serve as a good cautionary tale).

I'm not saying that messages of "we have to rethink the way we're living or the world is in trouble" aren't valid. But they're better put in practice every day, instead of glued to sily deadlines like 2012.

15. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First, did you know at that exact time all the planets in our solar system will be aligned? apparently researches believes this will draw tremendous solar power from the sun, that will actually allow the flames (do not want to use the scientific name now (to lazy to google)) to go far beyond earth. What is happening though is the magnetic poles is shifting, happens every few thousand years or so according to research. That will put the planet in danger, the magnetic energy protects us from major radiation from the sun amongst a host of other things. The shifting poles is believed to make this "protection envelope" weak for a certain amount of time... the effects how ever varies from one scientist to the next.

Secondly yes I agree, we should have done this from the begining, but greed stopped this, greed was the cause of the pollution problems we have today. How many people in the history since the invention of a motor vehicle developed an engine that ran on water or something similar? Quite a few, but companies like Shell and BP buys all the plans, projects and hardware, including intellectual rights.. those are all sitting in their warehouses, they are making far to much money to let something like this come on the market, it will be the biggest competitor, in matter of a few years all the oil companies would be more or less useless! Good buy profits....(BLOODY STUPID GREEDY ASSHOLES)

16. Bi As A Kite

Just realized I double-posted...sorry everyone, was on mobile at the time, awkward controls. Could someone drop me a pm about how to delete them? Many thanks.

17. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The technical name of a planetary alignent is actually a Syzygy. A word everyone should use more often in conversation :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

However, there is no such conjunction scheduled for December 2012. Or for the entirety of 2012 for that matter. Interestingly enough, all planets were on one side of the sun in 1982. Absolutely nothing happened (except for interesting opportunities to shoot pictures of the night sky).
    Even if there were, there's barely any effect on the sun. Seen from a very large distance, planets do make a star "wobble" a bit, but nothing like drawing forth solar eruptions.

Polar shifts do happen, and we are slightly overdue for the next one, but those effects are really measured in geological timeframes. That said, if one happens, we are a bit more open to the sun's influence. Yet, again, this has happened several times before, well after life developed on the planet, and never did it cause the effects pseudoscience claims it does.

Or... they could use the plans to become the one monopolistic car manufacturer overnight and wipe away the competition. Hell, if such technologies would have been developed during the cold war (as I've seen allegations they were), any country to weaponise them would conquer the world with an army fueled by limitless energy!
    The fact that this doesn't happen, is already a good indication that it isn't that easy.
    Let alone that it would fly in the face of pretty much every known principle of science as we know it.

Greed and short-sightedness are dangerous human flaws. But stories about miracle solutions like water energy are IMO distracting from the complex systems we'd need to put in place to get a real change.

18. TheLilyTribe

I'm still wondering what happened to rapture day. If I'm in heaven it looks an awful lot like home...

19. Just Passing

I pretty much believe all end of the world theories to be a load of bullshit. You want to scare me with the end of the world? Nuclear war, asteroids confirmed to be potentially hitting the Earth's surface, etc will do it.

The 2012 theory is literally based on mis-reading the Mayan's calendar, nothing more.

20. Dominoflare

Dominoflare Guest

Hasn't the world already "ended" 3 times this year?
    No offence to anyone, but the whole 2012 thing is complete and utter bull in my opinion