1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

They don't understand, or won't! :D

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by darkestknight, Aug 6, 2008.

1. darkestknight

I have heard many misconceptions and anything else from those dreaded people who thinks they *know* about the LGBT world, especially the straights, who want to prove people wrong! It's irritating!! :roflmao:

The common one is, LGB is because of "upbringing". Oh goodness, who ever come up with this, is so lame!!

First, let me explain, I'm bi and I like guys, and my "upbringing" is just no different from any family's who have straight children. Why, I do man's stuff even I'm in the gay side.

Another one: "shift sides". My coursemates *think* that I could have shift to the straight side.

Yes, it will. But in my case, it will not and I don't see the idea of changing it. I like the way I am now. And bisexuals, I don't think they shift quite often.

Sheesh... :bang:

2. DylanBoy

i think there are a few things to say to that...
    first, to the upbringing - plenty of gay people have super straight brothers
    to 'choosing the other side' - ask your mate if he could choose to be gay. if he says 'no then he understands. if he says 'yes' make out with him :slight_smile:

3. -Michael-

Upbringing doesnt mean you have to compare yourself to your brother ans say he's straight.

With that logic you would be EXACTLY the same.

Which obviously yous arent.

It can have something to do with upbringing. Truth is no-one knows.

Freuds theory of losing a parent between 2-4 (i think its 2-4) the mother (for a boy) or the father (for a girl) because as children, we idolise our future partners on our parents, who we deem perfect at that age.

Therefore me losing me mother (according to this theory anyway) made me shift my thoughts onto my dad being the perfect partner.

I know it sounds gross but there is logic behind it.

My point being.
    Just because you're gay doesn't mean you understand why you are.
    I'm gay.
    I don't know why.
    I have my opinion, as do you.
    But that doesn't mean everyone elses is wrong.

No-one knows why we're gay/bi.

4. LornTehViking

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I agree 100%.

5. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Agreed.

But people still like to come up with theories. Perhaps to explain and justify what they don't understand? Perhaps so they can find a way to avoid or "cure" it?

6. darkestknight

Yeah, in the end, no one actually knows the cause. The cause? What's even the cause? There's no cause after all! haha! :grin:

7. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I understand - it annoys me to no end when straight people know just what it's like to be gay or bisexual, which is why I try not to assume anything about being straight myself. Having a straight person try to tell me they know more about being gay than I do...frustrating, really.

8. silentsound

I guess there is the "environmental factors" argument, but I for one don't believe in it. My gay friend has two brothers who are very very straight and wouldn't be caught dead doing any of the things he does. I moved around a lot, but I always had strong relationships with men and women of varying ages and reasonably good relationships with my parents and a great one with my older brother. Did that make me gay? Of course not, that would be ridiculous (and there might just be a lot more gay people in the world if that was the case)

9. darkestknight

Let's see:

Comparing to the stereotypes...

1.) I do man's stuff.
    2.) I sometimes do womanly stuff, but it's not really that womanly.
    3.) I like guys and girls. (Guys for now, I'm hunting after. Hehe!)
    4.) I'm brought up by normal parents with a straight brother. Family relates nothing to any gaydoms there.
    5.) I'm still myself! :grin:

And in the end, i dunno what's the cause or reason of me being a bi. It's like finding a scientific cause or reason of people who like coca-cola or not.

10. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm the type of person who likes to find scientific explanations for everything, so I've read up on some theories about sexuality and some of them make sense to me. I guess it doesn't really matter why I like girls, though. I just do, it's the way I am, and it's not going to change any time soon. Definitely agree about the upbringing thing - my sister is as straight as an arrow. Someone tried to 'explain' it by saying that I went to an all-girls school from age 12 to 16, while my sister was only ever in co-ed schools, but I just laughed at them. I'd started thinking I could be with a woman way before I started at the girls' school.

11. Steve

Born in australia, but now living some where else
    its because people are scared from stuff that they dont know, so if we are gay and they dont know why , we could also be super human cyborgs or whatever , so people tend to make up reason why we are gay