1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

60 Minutes.. Don't Ask Don't Tell

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by EM68, Jul 13, 2008.

1. EM68

I am watching 60 Minutes (CBS) right now and they are talking about don't ask don't tell policy in the military. Thought you guys may be interested in seeing it.

2. EM68

3. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

I know that I'll probably catch some flack for this, but I kind of like Don't Ask, Don't Tell.

I mean, the United States isn't Canada or Europe. If gay people were allowed to openly serve in the military, there would be mass protest from the soldiers. My cousin is in the Marine Corps and he told me what they would do to a gay person if one was allowed in his unit....

4. Nanzuniko

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Family only
    More things to fight about D=

5. agraves

I served in the US Air Force and I personally don't see why gays have to stay closeted. I agree with the man in the interview that said the younger generation is more accepting of gays. The people in my flight showed no bad feelings towards the people they suspected of or were known to be gay. They were accepted as just another person. I think allowing them to be open is going to be a lot less traumatic than the government thinks.

6. the ry guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm currently still enlisted in the U.S. Army, and in my experience it's usually has to do with what unit your in. When I was with the 4ID (infantry division), I heard quite alot of anti-gay speech primarily because it went against someone's religion. but that was 3yrs ago I reclass'd and switch'd units and the unit i'm with now is pretty cool about it. most of them just don't care but there are a few people around though that don't like gays in the military which is why i'm still in the closet. I personally don't care about getting a dishonorably discharged from the army, its the having to pay back my $10K enlistment bonus, having to payback my mgibill, and all the money i've been using to pay for college and what not that bothers me and keeps me in the closet. I'll have been in 5yrs this september and i think that if you'd rather have a convicted murderer watching your back as opposed to just someone who is gay you got problems. convicts can serve but gays can't!? :***: that is some seriously fucked up close minded bullshit in my opinion :***:frowning2:sorry about the language it just really bugs the hell outa me)

#6 the ry guy, Jul 13, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  7. SkyTears

I just finished high school and turned 18 so I'm getting all the military people calling me trying to get me to join. There are times when I just want to scream "I gay!" and hang up on them because they are annoying. Like they will call acting like they are one of your friends and you just forgot who the person is then when they get you attention they are like, "I'm so and so from the such and such." It doesn't sound bad but you really just need to hear what they say when they call and it will change your mind.

ps: I do like that I have the military I do and all so nothing against them. It just very annoying at times.

8. Hepcat

That, to me, is the most awful hypocracy of all and what confuses me so much. The boston legal episode about the Don't Ask, Don't Tell policy nailed it pretty well. There's NO reason whatsoever for the policy apart from fueling prejudice. And compare it to the British Army who, if I recall correctly, actually participated in a Gay Pride parade and set up a recruitment station.

I think it's just tragic and HAS to be changed by the next president. I hope. :icon_sad:

9. the ry guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people