1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Black" - Offensive or not?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Miaplacidus, Jun 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicvcer

Nicvcer Guest

It is walking a thin line, I'll agree. And I'll also agree that I have no idea what it would be like as a black man/woman in society today. I can imagine, but thats just my imagination, and I know it is very far from the truth.
    And you are incorrect in feeling that only black people should share their feelings on the subject. For one, by telling my opinion, you learn more about who I am as a human being. Secondly, black people could see a subject from a different perspective, from the perspective of a white man.

Seeing things from different perspectives is essential to learning more about one another. If you have wronged a friend of yours, but were not aware that you wronged them, and they told you about it, to truly try to understand their perspective would be attempt to put yourselves in "their shoes". Once you imagine from their perspective, character growth is then possible.
    For example a friend of mine made plans with me on a particular friday. He didn't call me or return my phone calls, because his phone was charging in his room while he was working on things downstairs. He says he forgot, which I believe. He didn't think it was a big deal, but after talking to me, our relationship grew.
    I described how, if he had called me and cancelled the plans, I would have been totally okay with it. But since he didn't I was stuck with a Friday where I felt somewhat rejected and didn't make other plans. Alone, essentially. After putting him in my shoes through conversation he was able to understand the situation more clearly, and saw where he had made a mistake, and thus grew. You truly do learn from your mistakes.

2. Nicvcer

Nicvcer Guest

I totally agree with this. When I refer to skin color or race, I also use gentleman or lady. It shows that you see the potentiality of that person to be one of "positive". And if you think about it, the majority of people are positive, or want to be "good" in this world, so you should treat them that way.

3. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's very common for people to be offended on behalf of other people who aren't even offended. Same as Hearing impared vs. deaf, vision impared vs. blind, etc.

As someone of European decent, I don't refer to myself as "European-Canadian", or "Caucasian" but rather "white". However Black/African people have a whole lot of history of slavery and oppression / racism, with certain identifying terms being used in a derogatory manner. I mean it shouldn't really matter what term is used, but there's still a lot of racism / bad stigmas with names.

Here's some Wikipedia articles for some food for thought:
    Wikipedia: Black people
    Wikipedia: African American

I had a black roommate who was born in Africa, and was quite dark. In talking about people from Africa, he would frequently refer to them as African, and if he was actually talking about race / colour, which was rarely, he would refer to people as "black". He also referred to Chinese people in his class as "Chinamen".

Once I was talking about a place that I lived at that had a tanning salon to drum up business in the winter, he responded with "I'm already tanned to the max." Henceforth he referred to being black as "That whole not tanning thing". Which really just made things more awkward. If I was out to him, I'd refer to being gay as "That whole not liking girls thing".

4. BabyBoy

Uh, yeah, I'm black, I'm not from no Africa, I was born in Buffalo, and raised in Pennsylvania, I don't know nothin about Africa, so all that talk about being "politically correct" is just annoying. I'm more used to and more comfortable with saying "black" or "white" instead of "African American" or "Caucasian".

But yeah, personally, the term black doesn't offend me. That's like us all getting offended by somebody saying "That guy gay" instead of "Homosexual guy"

5. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you. Problem solved - I was referring to you in the now-closed shirtless thread.

6. Chamber of Life

I know problem solved but I want to get my 2 cent in, which is the same as Babyboys. LOL!
    Well I like black better than African American, like Babyboy said. I've never been to Africa wasnt born their. I think everyone should be called Americans, if you were born here or live here. I call people White, black ect. But some times I do catch my self saying African American. Idk I dont care.:icon_bigg

7. RobbIsFlyyy

I, personally, don't think it offensive.
    (However, I'm white.)

But, nonetheless, they use the "n-word" towards themselves in some of the rap songs they sing.
    So, it's ok for them to say it about themselves, but if an asian, or white person says it, the world stops.

I don't get it.
    People can say there isn't racism in the world today, but thats like saying theres no people.
    Flat out lie.
    :]

8. Chamber of Life

Well personally I dont like the "N-word" and I dont say it. I dont want anyone around me to say it b/c its a mean word towards the black culture. I dont know why rappers or other black people call each other that, i think its wrong. And your right, if another race calls them the 'N-word' they want to fight them. But if a black, white, asian or any race calls me the "N-word" They will see the wrath of me and thats a damn promise.

9. BabyBoy

*as we continue to say the subjects closed*

10. BabyBoy

And thank you :icon_bigg

11. Alexander

I have no problem with it. Obviously African-American is the politically incorrect saying since 99% of the black people I have met aren't african. They have never been to africa. Just because I'm Polish by blood doesn't mean you call me a Polish-American. And what about white people who are from africa and moved to the US? Technically, they're african american too.

Bottom line is, I want people to know me as white and gay, not European-Caucasian and homosexual. I'm sure the same standard applies to most other people even as the variables change.

12. sexyalex

ooh boy...should i stay out this one?

nahhh...i wanna get in trouble with the mods again anyways :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

to answer ur question Miaplacidus, for most people of such ethinecy...aboregional, african etc. It might not be taken soo seriously in the corporate world which most of us live in today. Just as how a dark skin person might call a lighter skin person "white" its pretty much the same thing. However when it's used in a tauntful manner or context such as "I can't stand white poeple" or "Your skin is soo black, eww" (which beleive me i have seen black people tell black people before :dry:slight_smile: then it will come off offensive.

Nevertheless whatever u said was nothing deceitful and it was out of pure ignorance why the person beside u had a problem with it. I personaly don't care anyways..i get called a oreo all the time; it gets old after a time u know :dry:

PS- saying "black" is waaay more pleasnt than calling someone "Nigger" now that u NEVER do if u want to live.

13. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

:lol: Nothing wrong with your post there, Alex! It's good to get a wide range of views.

Actually we have had a couple of post reports about this thread but so far the mods who have read through it say that it seems to be going OK. It is a subject that could cause problems but generally people are being calm and respectful. :thumbsup:

I'm gonna read it all later as I am also confused about which terms are and are not offensive.

14. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Good points Alex. :slight_smile:

15. Grof142007

meh i want my part

Meh African American is just way to much to say. so im just fine with black. Same thing for the other way :grin:

16. Bryan90

So let's clear this up once and for all lest I get tongue tight trying to trawl the politically correct term.

So it's fine to call those of African descent Black.
    And it's fine to call Caucasians White?
    and South Asians brown?
    What about Asians? and those of South American descent?

17. calamus

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    There are a number of blacks whom I greatly admire -- Juan Williams, Walter Williams, Thomas Sowell, Clarence Thomas, among others -- who regularly use the term black. If it is good enough for them then it is good enough for me.

18. KaraBulut

Most questionnaires in the US that ask about race do say, "White", "Black" but then have other categories like "Native American/Eskimo", "Asian", "Hispanic", etc. Both "white" and "black" are used commonly in the US and are not considered offensive. Even posters of personal ads in the US say "GWM" or "SBF" to describe themselves.

Words like "african-american", "colored", "caucasian" and "oriental" aren't used much. You'll hear older people use these terms.

Another curious thing in Mexican culture is that they have several words that they use to describe each other's skin tone. The context seems to be important because I have heard these terms used as a general description in the way we would say "light brown" or "dark brown" but they can also be used in a different context as an insult, too.

19. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm not sure about how other people might take it, but I've never been bothered by being called a "white guy". It's what I am, why should I get upset over someone identifying me? If it were meant as in insult then obviously things would be different, but in your case...not rude at all.

20. musicgirl112233

Why can't we just be people?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.