1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

interesting article on use of the word 'gay' in schools

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by interstella, Mar 18, 2008.

1. summersforecast

I started a thread like this only I wish I hadn't. You see the people here at emptyclosets showed me that if I let little things like that bug me. I'd go crazy, and I was just bottleing up anger ready to explode. You absolutly can't take offence at these stupid remarks. after all people are ignorant.

2. James2612

WOW "batty Boy" I didnt realise that term was used in the US as well.... lol

I spent a month in the US last year and when i was going out for a smoke, i would say "I'm going to smoke a fag" - which in the US means some thing much different!! lol - - It took people agood 2 weeks before they pointed that out to me!!! lol

3. rosiejuly3

i hear that at least once every period... my social studies teacher is awesome though becuase he made this big speech after someone called homework gay. he was like I dont see 2 pieces of homework going to the movies holding hands. then one of the kids said something like oh thats because they dont have hands and my teacher was like yeah and they dont have the other parts to make them gay. haha i love him..

4. Derek the Wolf

I knew 1 guy who called everything gay. Like, in one class he would use the word "gay" over a hundred times. I wanted to smack the crap out of him.
    It's a good thing I have restraint...

5. It honestly doesn't bother me when people use "gay" in the place of stupid/uncool/etc. Words are always evolving, for example, when the word gay stopped meaning happy/joyous to the masses and started meaning homosexual. I'll bet there were some "gay" people who didn't like the new meaning because they liked to describe themselves as gay until it changed meanings.

6. Markio

I think it's just annoying that people can't think of a better word to describe whatever they're talking about. It's like saying you don't like someone because they're "dumb". What does that even mean?!

7. oneguy15

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yer, really annoying that.
    Both the pricks at school and my little sisters use gay in a derogatory way, although my sisters have used it very infrequently since I changed my orientation on myspace to "Gay" haha

It's irritating, sure, but there's not much I can do to stop it from happening in my school. If my friends are saying it, and if it really gets to me, i'll just make a disapproving face. They usaully get the hint.

8. U N Owen

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    'Gay' and 'faggot' are the most popular words in my high school. Hopefully at the university level people will act more mature.

9. midwestblues

The use of "gay" as a pejorative seems to be slowly dying out. I think most people realize they just don't sound smart using it.

10. roborama

its not as bad as others, other words are most commonly said out of hate, "thats gay" is said out of ignorance, and the only way to change ignorance is to educate:slight_smile: our school's gsa is planning to go into classrooms soon to educate about specific homophobic words. it should be good haha. but the article far from suprised me. i came out to a friend and said "so-and-so im gay" and he responded theres nothing wrong with you, did you have a bad day, whats wrong? yeah this is the world we live in

11. Lotty

My friends use 'gay' all the time in 'that's so gay'. But they don't always mean it in a bad way.I try to not to use it, but if you hear it every three seconds, you start using it too without noticing. It doesn't really bother me. Though sometimes I get irritated and then I say 'something wrong with gay?' and then they say sorry and stop for a while.

#31 Lotty, Jan 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  12. Emulator

Yes, I absolutely agree. It's heard so often nowadays and half the time without reason or simply "having fun". It was painted on the back of a classroom in a local school as well, a few times, saying "_____ is gay" as a payback sort of thing. Really, I think it's overused and for no cause.

13. theskywreck

The only time it's acceptable to say "that's so gay" is when you are literally describing something homosexual, in my opinion.

14. Carpe Noctem

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    where I live it's used as "bloody" mixed with every word, e.g. instead of bloody-cops! one would say [in direct translation] gay cops! so I'm kind of used to all the gay insults everyday...

15. LILuke

I agree, though it probably angers me a lot more than it should when people use the word like that. :frowning2:

16. SurprisingDanny

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's gone out of style now, I find. Maybe it's still prevalent among the 10-14 group? I'm not sure but I honestly haven't heard that word used frequently in that way for a relatively long time now.

17. unknown17050

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    I'm more shocked at the use of the word Slag, because the one thing that goes through my mind when I hear that is, "WHAT THE F:***:K IS A SLAG!?"