1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can anyone help and advice me please....

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by stevieboy1, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Jim1454

Hi Steve. Sounds like you're coping fairly well. Good for you!!!

I understand where you're coming from in terms of telling your kids...

My daughters are 4 and 7. I've been told that kids are most receptive to learning about this kind of thing when they are between 7 and 12. They are old enough to understand what you're telling them, yet young enough to get their 'values' (i.e. whether this is a 'good' thing or a 'bad' thing) from their parents. When they are in their teens they tend to get their values from their peers...

The other thing I've been told is we can't expect our kids to keep secrets for us. Not only is that too much responsibility to give them, it sends the message that being gay is something you need to hide, which it isn't (or shouldn't be).

On the other hand, telling a child that is very young that you're gay means that you might as well tell the whole world. They are likely to tell the next person they see! Plus, the harsh reality is that they are going to be exposed to ridicule and teasing from their friends at school - which won't always be easy to deal with.

So my wife and I are of the same opinion... our girls are too young to tell about me being gay. We have separated, and they are adjusting OK to that - because that isn't that uncommon a situation today. But we'll wait for another couple of years before we tell them.

(That of course depends on my personal situation. While I'm sensitive to my wife's desires and the needs of my kids, I also don't necessarily want to 'hide' my bf from my kids if we continue to get closer and spend even more time together. Time will tell.)

Good luck. We're all in this together.

2. stevieboy1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi Bromptonrocks I know exactly how you feel and I feel for you mate! It is a very hard thing to go though I will gladly chat to you dont know how I could help? But Its good to talk though these things. I will send you a P.M.

Kind regards
    Steve.

3. stevieboy1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello again everyone Just an update of my situation so far.

As you all know I have recently come out to my wife and a couple of others that I am gay it has been a very hard time for me and my wife to deal with. I will always be her bestest friend no matter what as she will always be special to me along with my kiddies.

I feel a bit lost at the mo as in I dont know were or what to do now if you know what I mean? I still feel lost in the closet even though im not I know things will work out as time go's on. I want to tell more people my situation but its finding the right time. I dont want to tell my mothers side of the family right now as I know they would disown me. I can say I know they would as one of my cosins is gay and they have basicly stoped contact with him very sad, anyways....

Hopfully I will manage to catch Jim in the chat room at some point and Bromptonrocks as i keep missing them.:eusa_doh:

Kind regards
    Steve.

4. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Steve, how about calling that cousin? He/she could be a great friend and alli through all this!

I'm going through some transitions in my life right now too and it is very scary and overwhelming. People keep telling me though that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Just hold on to that. Jim will tell you that his separation and divorce was very difficult and he probably had the same feelings you are having now. Just hang in there. Things are going to get better.