1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC or Mac: and why?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by dreamfinder, Feb 3, 2008.

?

Do you have a Mac or PC?

1. Mac/Apple

23 vote(s)
    32.9%
  2. PC/Windows

47 vote(s)
    67.1%
  1. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    OS X is based on BSD (Mach Kernel to be specific http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mach_kernel) which although a UNIX like OS like Linux, it varies dramatically in how it was developed, development philosophy, the licensing on the source, etc.

2. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    XNU is a hybrid kernel (correct design in my opinion) while Linux is monolithic (archaic in my opinion)

3. panda

I feel like such an idiot compared to all you techno wizards.My laptop came with Vista and I'm learning to live with it.My previous laptop had XP which I liked better.One day I may learn more basic stuff and really know what I like and why.

4. Orion

I'm on the PC side now, but I must admit, if it weren't for price and games, I might use Mac. Also, if you haven't already, take a look at this, and if you have just watch it again, it's quite funny :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jkrn6ecxthM

5. Skeleton

I've never seen so many Mac users in one place as on this site.

Could this be why?? :icon_wink :icon_wink

(don't click if incredibly easily offended.)

#25 Skeleton, Feb 4, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  6. dreamfinder

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    that was great, kinda wrong but good still.

7. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

In that case it is either an old PC running Windows 98 or ME, or it hasn't been set up properly (bad or incorrect drivers), or it has something dodgy installed on it, or there is a slight hardware fault (such as duff RAM).

All the Windows XP PCs at work are never switched off (the monitors and hard drives go into standby with the power management after 30 minutes but that's it) and they all just keep on running with no problems at all. They reboot themselves once a month when they install the latest security updates.

Our home Windows XP desktop PCs here are also never turned off. Markie's weather station PC does not get updates automatically (we have had a couple of problems with updates stopping the RS232 ports from working) so it often runs for months on end with no problems or reboots.

Our Vista laptops are shut down when not in use, but neither of us have never had Vista crash or BSOD since we installed them.

8. kuzmaster

Although i use PC's at home, i really love Macs. I just love the simplistic approach to everything on the mac.

But, when i do finally get my Mac, i would say i would boot camp into Windows XP (def not Vista, it sucks) to play games or do other things i cant do in Mac OS X

I know its been said before, but Apple does have a server version of OSX. They have the xserve rack servers and the Mac Pro...

Leopard, Apache, MySQL, PHP? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. kuzmaster

Its based on FreeBSD i believe

10. Fiorino

You know what they say: "Once you go Mac, you never go back."
    :icon_wink

11. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I have a Mac PowerBook G4 Titanium which I use for testing websites on Mac browsers such as Safari. Nothing about it or OS-X 10.4 has tempted me way towards Macs.

12. Chaz

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=macs_cant

To be honest, I really just don't like Mac. Thats not saying I like PC, I hate it too. They both have quite a few flaws. PC of course has millions of viruses and is about as reliable as trying to run a city with a hampster on a wheel. 90% of the applications are not Mac-Compatible (games and other programs) Which totally turns me off because I am a gaming nerd. I dont think I could get used to the layout of a Mac at all..​

13. tehnathan

Definitely Mac.

I'm using a PC now and I would still prefer a Mac, even though upgrading my PC's hardware costs at least 1/4 the price of an entirely new Mac.

For most of the things you can do on a PC, there is at least one Mac application which does the same thing.

My boyfriend has a MacBook, and I taught him how to use it.

14. Latinokid

Latinokid Guest

I have a PC running on Windows XP and its great I don't really worry about virus's. I have used a mac ...I actually use them quite often but I don't like them their so dam hard to navigte game sucks on them and they...aren't as pretty as Windows XP on a Pc lol. But i Think tht i would be hppy with any computer tht has Mirosoft Word or anything like that

15. divinity1618

divinity1618 Guest

16. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thankfully any PC using a Microsoft operating system made in the past 6 years won't experience an "illegal operation" (common in Win9x) message box. A program may occasionally crash but it will not give an "illegal operation" message. It also will be much less likely to take down the system.

Comparing Win9x to MacOS X is not at all a fair comparison. Compare OS X to XP, but if you're going to drag Win9x problems into it, compare against MacOS 9 or lower. Which were terribly designed, unreliable operating systems. MacOS 9 wouldn't give you a useful error, usually just come to an abrupt stop with no warnings. If you're lucky you'd get that stupid error message with the little bomb icon and no useful information what the error is and the only option is "Restart".

I've also seen many programs hang on OS X. It's not a PC only problem.

I've also found MacOS to be much LESS customizable.

17. Ty

Ty Guest

If I havent said before, I love my mac ^_^

18. Kimi

PC because I have many software that I like which only can run on Windows.

Although I'm actually thinking about buying one:slight_smile:

19. Wired106

I have a pc but my brother has the airbook, my mom has the macbook pro, and my sisters have the regular macbook, and they have the mac desktop and I like the apple stuff way more. I used to like pc more but apple has a way cleaner/simpler look to it and also all of the stuff apple is making right now is soo amazing. I have the itouch and my brother has the iphone and it just seems that apple is making cooler stuff every year.

20. pianoguy

pc hands down
    for all those who say macs are easier to use
    its not like its rocket science to use a pc....
    and the wealth of software available for PC in comparison to Mac is huge
    and with vista, certain things are a heck of a lot easier than they used to be on previous versions
    mac is overpriced and overhyped