1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

France,Cuba,UK, ALL ARE BETTER THAN THE US.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Latinokid, Jan 29, 2008.

1. davo-man

I like living in Australia, and personally wouldn't want to live in America...just out of interest, is Canada a lot different from America, because that's how it's been portrayed to me, but I might be wrong

Also, I've also wondered why the USA President is reffered to as "The Leader of the Free World". I mean, places like Australia, UK, Canada etc are just as free as America and he/she doesn't rule over us....Hmmm it's always confused me

2. sdc91

Cause we invade all the other countries. ><

3. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

You call yourself an American too....whatever

It seems like since y'all learn so much about America in your schools that they'd teach you why he's called the Leader of the Free World. During World War II and the Cold War America was what allowed the world to remain a free place. I'm not saying that Australia and Canada didn't help, but if it hadn't been for America the world would be a lot different. Also, the Cold War was generally between the Soviet Union and America, with the Soviet Union representing global communism and America representing the free world. That's why he's the "Leader of the Free World."

To keep all this on topic, George Bush has been a terrible leader. The "Leader of the Free World" should be just that, and leave countries like Iraq that aren't free to themselves.

4. Grof142007

like zomg i totally freak out i mean i saw it in class today wierd where u see it?

5. davo-man

Um...no I don't, I call myself an Australian

And the reason i'm confused about the title of "Leader of the Free World" is that the word leader has connotations that he leads all the free countries, which includes Australia, and last time I checked, Kevin Rudd was the leader of Australia...America isn't the only free country in the world

Also, we don't learn that much about American history in Australia...in fact I have no idea what your civil war was about, nor who the USA president was before Clinton...Until a few years ago, I thought Abraham Lincoln was the first USA president...and I'm not saying I'm ignorant, just that our schools don't teach that stuff

Anyway, I know and me don't agree on issues regarding Australia/America, so I'm gunna stop it there cos I know we're prob not going to agree

6. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

I wasn't trying to start a debate, but I know that you've called yourself American, or half-American. And the "Leader of the Free World" title is just symbolic, he doesn't have any literal power over Australia or any other country.

7. davo-man

Okay, sorry I'm a bit tired so I misread the tone of your post, my mistake

And with the half-American thing, I think you're thinking of UnderARock, who has duel citizen-ship (Australian and American). I was there when you two were discussing it in the chat room, so I think he's who you're thinking of

Anyway, i see your point with the leader of the free world thing, i think i was taking it too literally

8. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

That was my bad, wrong Australian! Lol, sorry.

9. lucifer32

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hellooo?

We don't get anything for free in Britain!

Are bloody taxes are probably the highest in the world for the least back in return!!

Gordon Brown is a useless spendthrift!

Hes even getting rid of brittania off of our 50p pieces.

10. smartguy

woah woah woah lol

cuba? im cuban (i live in the U.S) my grandma and mom were born there and came here in the 60's. it is NOT a better place to live than the united states. just because you don't hear of bad stuff happening there doesn't mean it doesn't happen

11. justjoshoh

Much like a free lunch, there is no such thing as free medicine. There is a price that is paid, as lucifer32 indicated, the tax rate in the United Kingdom is significantly higher than that of the average American. One of the fairly common complaints about the health care in the United Kingdom is about the time on wait-lists for procedures, judging from Prime Minister's Questions. From an outsider's perspective, I'd say it seems to be decreasing over the last several years, but it was a big issue not too long ago.

Though our health system in the United States is not perfect, it is not terrible either. With the creation of the Health Savings Accounts, several years ago, workers that select appropriate plans can save money for health uses from year to year. These accounts do retain their balance each year, so it is beneficial to deposit money into them. Since the amount rolls over, a person who opts for the plan could have thousands of dollars saved for future health care use. Furthermore, the money is taken "pre-tax", so it is not subjected to the income tax.

There is room for change in the system. I've seen some of the costs for prescriptions, both what the consumer pays and what the distributor charges. Like any product, there is markup. That is understandable. The big question is, "should the maximum markup allowed be capped?" If there is a cap, how will the manufacturers react? They must remain profitable, to do that will they be forced to cut research and development.

12. lostinthought9

WOW, u and i have have two different opinions, sure the u.s. isnt perfect but i cant imagine living anywhere else, espicially not in cuba-no offense---im not saying i wouldnt want to visit Uk and australia, cuz i certaintly do, just not live there :slight_smile: and btw whats so wrong with the movie Sicko--i havent seen it...

13. William1

Well, I've only lived in like two countries. The UK where I was born and grew up, and Australia for like the last year and a bit.

Both countries have the NHS (only its called Medicare in Australia) and coz Ive had lots of accidents (broken bones and stuff) I have had experience of both systems. The health care is pretty good under both systems and all my hospitalisation never cost my mum a penny.

I did some Googling and the WHO ranks Britain as 12th in the world for health care, and the US as 37th. And like France is 1st.

http://www.photius.com/rankings/healthranks.html

The average rates of personal Income tax for the USA is 37.7%, and the average rates of personal Income tax for the UK is 29.8%. Add VAT and they come out much the same. Add the cost of private health insurance to the US figure, and we Brits are way ahead.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/tax_com_of_tax_per_inc_tax-taxation-components-personal-income-tax

Sorry, but that's a load of cobblers. We learnt about WW2, and we also learnt about how the Americans sat on their hands while my country was bombed to pieces. America only entered the war coz Japan bombed Pearl Harbour and Hitler declared war on it. And the US made a ****load of money out of Lend Lease and the Marshall Plan.

If it hadn't been for Brits winning the Battle of Britain (with the help of Australians, Canadians, New Zealanders, South Africans, etc.) there would have been no stepping off point for the counter invasion of Europe, and the US would have got nowhere in Europe. As it is, the Russians did the most, and paid the highest price, in defeating the Nazis.

During the Cold War, all America did was defend its interests in Europe, and support right wing dictatorships like Marcos and Pinochet and Suharto, everywhere else.

It looks like you learnt nothing about European history in your schools, and a whole lot of propaganda about your own. :dry:

14. Jim1454

Canada rules! Ya!

Our universal system isn't perfect either. I'd likely be someone that would have health insurance if I lived in the US - as a working professional. But it is nice to know that even if I wasn't employed, I'd have access to basic health services.

(Don't forget gay marriage too!)

15. Leigh

Leigh Guest

yeah but americans are so much more friendly.
    i was there over thanksgiving and i was like omg i could live here forever!!

n not everything about the nhs is good..huge waiting times, etc...

16. CrimsonThunder

I was wondering what NHS was and then William mentioned Medicare. Its a good thing to have because it means you get medical help for near free.

17. Psychedelic Bookmarks

wow.... thanks for saying all that william, so i don't have to ^_^

18. William1

I agree about Americans being friendly, I was there with my uncle for Christmas 2006, and I thought it was great. I'm not bashing Americans I think they are great people, but so are the Aussies (and they are less 'foreign' :lol:slight_smile:. And I been to most of western Europe and to Canada, and they were all just as friendly.

But I like the Americans - I just don't agree that they like saved the world. America is like everywhere else, it looks after itself first, you only have to read history.

Crap! :lol: I never once had to wait to be fixed up by the NHS, not in the UK and not in Australia. :eusa_naug

19. sexyalex

well duhh...:dry:

just think of it....america's education system is lacking in public schools....trust me..i should know. compairing to the UK where they have a waaaya stronger education system and it's soo bad that while i am learning advanced calculus in 9th grade at high school ...that's what they do in university in the US.

cuba...ohh dear.,
    well cuba is autocratic and they tend to abide by communisim. in other words everyone lives the same lifestyle, gets the same treatment, has the same size house, same amount of cars, same amount of food and their education is at top. in fact, cuba and india right now are producing some of the best doctors in the world. soo obviously when i was living in LA and the biggest priota of school was who looks the best...well in the UK and in Cuba everyone looks the same. no one can measure ur wealth and more time is spent on what is important like the REAL reason kids go to school than who has a good or bad hair day or..who has on the most expensive designer outfit(shallow bastards :dry:slight_smile:

france is an all rounded, loving, horroful place. i mean, come on...i haven't heard of france having any huge political dispute because of deplomatic indifferences.

it's this simple....america has too many political enimies. the country has too many governing acts, too many leapholes, too many irrelivant federal rules, too many inconsiderate selfish rulers and thank god for parliment! i couldn't imagine living in a completely free rein country...look at how the FBI totally violates people's privacy..
    ....................errr.....I WATCHED 6 SEASONES OF THE PRACTISE! >.<

20. Temujin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've considered moving to Canada on more than one occasion. It's cold, it snows, free healthcare, gay friendly, and it isn't a Corporate Theocracy (at least I don't think it is). Need I say more?