1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Truth About Lying (coming out to my parents!)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Astaroth, Jan 26, 2008.

1. sdc91

Wow, congratulations! That took so much guts and nerves, and you pulled through it. And you were well prepared with pamphlets . . . who would've thought that your dad already knew about PFLAG?

2. sngl

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry for my late reply but I really wanted to congratulate you too!!!
    It's great that you had the courage to finally tell them and I'm so glad that it went well and that you feel much better now (*hug*) :icon_bigg

3. Astaroth

Awww, thanks folks! You all are wonderful!! :icon_bigg

Something funny just happened, and it made my day.

So, my mom just called me at work. I actually haven't spoken to my parents since I came out because they were out of town over the weekend. So, I pick up the phone and it's her. Inside my head I'm thinking "Uh oh. More questions?" Here's the short conversation we had:

Mom: Hey, it's mom.
    Me: Hi.
    Mom: You remember that conversation we had the other night?
    Me: (hesitant) Yeah...
    Mom: I was just wondering if Mario Kart is on the Super Nintendo or the Nintendo 64.
    Me: (relieved) Both, but the one you want is the 64 version.
    Mom: Okay, I'm going back to bid on it. Talk to you later.

I just thought it was funny. I so totally thought she was talking about Friday's coming out, but had forgotten that we'd talked about bidding on a Nintendo 64 and Mario Kart because they used to love playing that game. Well, it seems like things are going to go just fine. I didn't sense anything different in her voice! I feel like dancing... (!)

4. Temujin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Indeed, I never congratulated you either. So, CONGRATULATIONS! My only advice is to not let it drop. Keep them involved and do not let them get reticent about your sexuality. Ask them periodically if they have any questions or concerns about you being gay. Understanding requires communication.

I've been reading this book over the last few days. Almost every paragraph is a "wow, that's exactly it!" moment. I'm planning to ship it to my parents as soon as i'm finished.

I'm very happy for you. :icon_bigg

5. cm25

cm25 Guest

Hey I'm so proud of you. I'm in about the same boat as you were a long time ago. I'm 14 and I found I'm gay 2 years ago. I'm rily rily rily scared to come out to anyone and I have absolutely no idea when to. I'm so confused. I hope when I do come out my parents act like how yours did. What I need right now is a boyfriend that will hold me,love me,help me, and be with me always as I would for him. I'm in a big jam right now. But congrats on you coming out, it sounds like it was really hard. I wish it didn't have to be like this. :frowning2: -Cody

6. Prairie Boi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It is funny how it's such a big build up and after it's over it's like...oh, okay. It's over. Not anti-climactic, but strange. Anyway, sounds like things are heading in the right direction for you. Hope everything continues to go great for you.

7. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really wish I had that freedom....You really are lucky dude. I can't have a partner that I can tell my rents about...my mom thinks I'm straight, and I have to lie to go out with a guy i like or boyfriend. It just sucks....Sorry about spieling in your thread. I'm really happy for you though :slight_smile:

8. MeskElil

Congrats!

9. ScottieBB

Great Job! Thanks for sharing =]

Do you feel weird around them now that they know? Or do you feel like you can finally be yourself? Either way, Congrats!

10. tm74

tm74 Guest

Noah, thanks for posting that - your situation sounds very similar to mine (religious parents, who I'm not out to) - was a good read, and sometimes I wonder whether I'll ever have the courage in who I am to face up to my parents and tell them.

11. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What an incredible, inspiring, heartfelt, and powerful post! You did a magnificent job of capturing the situation, of facing an enormously difficult situation, and of inspiring others to follow your lead. Congratulations!

12. Lucy

That's amazing!! I'm so happy that it worked out for you, even in a religious family :slight_smile:
    I really admire your courage and poise in this situation...

...and I have been waiting to see that Sasuke thing in someone's signature. You recieve my applause :slight_smile:

13. Zak

Zak

Congrats. This topic's A little old but congrats!!

14. Astaroth

Lol, I swear that every time I pop my head in to visit, this topic is somehow revived from the crypt of dead posts. Well, I'm glad to know that I can help and inspire others even two years after the actual coming out! (!)

15. Noah

From one Noah to another,
    congratulations!!!

16. Glunn11

Glad that coming out to your parents went well for you! :slight_smile: They sound incredibly understanding, even after the lollerskate moments. Bahah.