My view of Christianity

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Negasta, Jan 2, 2008.

1. trumpetkid23

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I totally see where you guys are coming from. I'm not trying to invalidate your points. I'm just trying to help REVERSE a trend that I'm seeing, and that's the trend of what Christians are doing as a larger community. I think to lump all of Christianity together as a "traditional, fundamentalist" sort of group is just as ignorant.

In my case, I've been ENCOURAGED to question my faith by other other people within my religion. For that reason it's very personal to me.

Trust me, I live in one of the most conservative areas in the country. Fundamentalism is RAMPANT. People here practically think Jerry Falwell was a god. As a Christian, I don't deny that I am associated with people like that, but my hopes is that we can CHANGE that. I feel VERY negative direct effects of religion every day, even from close friends. But I'm also not going to turn a blind eye or simply tell them they're wrong. By truly trying understand their beliefs and not directly confronting it, I'm able to show people that there's more to my faith (and their faith) than a bunch of words in a book. You have to HELP people whom you'd rather not associate with understand that there's more to life. And I do believe that's a growing trend. You're seeing a rise in religious institutions such as the Unitarian Universalists and the United Church of Christ, both of whom encourage questioning and have a mission to show their fellow Christians the faults and harms of fundamentalism. But to simply turn away from that or fight it directly is only going to prolong the battle. You've got to create understanding and eliminate ignorance.

I guess where I'm coming from is the idea that we have to be the bigger person, if we want things to change. And, to my knowledge, nobody has ever tried to combat the ideas of fundamentalism with that sort of approach. It's always fighting....and I refuse to fight. I want people to understand each other a little better and see that we actually have a lot in common. Call me naive, but I just want to help people get along a little better.

#61 trumpetkid23, Jan 3, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  2. ppreston9

ppreston9 Guest

yaaaaaa fighting fire with fire.

3. JSG

JSG Guest

These are just lyrics not necessarily my own views;

Blame It On God
    Artist : Deicide

God is the reason we live in dismay
    It is his will that this world's suffering
    If we do not believe what you foretell
    We can expect afterlife will be hell

You are the one who killed his own son
    We are the ones you're blaming it on
    Lust was created beginning with hymn
    When we indulge we are guilty of sin
    Torture our lives with confusion and lies
    Mass contradiction, religious facades

BLAME IT ON GOD
    BLAME IT ON GOD
    BLAME IT ON GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LIAR

Lord of salvation keep looking away
    It is your will that this world goes astray
    Take us each day from this place you unworthed
    Unfulfilled promise of heaven on earth

You are the one who killed your own son
    We are the ones your hatred is on
    Children are dying and this you're content
    Where is your profit in what you have left
    No intervention from angels above
    God is the reason that Satan lives on

4. BILL9854

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well I think everyone can agree it's fine to express your opinion on this, whether you dislike christianity or follow it, but I think the reason this has caused such a heated debate is the way this opinion is put forward, because frankly it's put forward in an offensive manner.

People here are arguing that if they want they can express their opinion that they dislike religion, which is perfectly fine I'm sure no one would argue that, but the point is your NOT just 'expressing your opinion', you're mocking other people's beliefs. Or at least the original post is.

You wouldn't like it if people made fun of something you really believed in or cared about, it's fine to not believe in it and say so, just don't do it in offensive ways.

5. JSG

JSG Guest

True it is mocking your religion, but that how many anti-religion Atheists view Christianity.

6. BILL9854

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yep, and I'm saying that's wrong :slight_smile:

7. sdc91

I think this will sum everything up (watch it, it's good):
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcARWCMpBb4[/YOUTUBE]

8. waitingsucks

I agree, it's not your beliefs that causes the trouble it's that the original post was mocking our religion instead of just saying that you didn't believe in Christianity you also mocked it. I am fine with Atheism but mocking is intolerable. I'm not even a devout Christian and I still take offense to it for that fact.

9. JSG

JSG Guest

I think it's hard to undertand each others point of view when both side feel so strongly about their beliefs and are 100% certain that they are right.