1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This is an awkward subject, maybe men wanna steer clear *hint*

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Ashabi, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Ashabi

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    This is a somewhat awkward way to ask for help or opinions, but I can't find ANYTHING helpful on the internet, and I don't know if I should see a doctor, so...

Ok so this is what, November? So five or six months ago, my period stopped.
    I don't know why.

And that's about the time when my boyfriend at the time and I started to hit rough ground. Actually, it's about a month before we hit rough ground. But all that stopped when we broke up a month ago, but doesn't really explain my lack of period.

So should I see a doctor for a chemical imbalance or something like my mum thinks I should?
    Does anyone know why it might've stopped?
    Remembering that I'm only 15 so it might just be hormonal, but half a year is quite a long time, and I was getting it more or less monthly, give or take a week or two.

Anyone had this happen to them?
    It's not like I can be preggers or anything...

Yours Awkwardly
    Ash:icon_redf

2. ALieToDieFor

Texas City,TX but Huntington beach,california atm
    Maybe I could ask my sister?
    We are very close and talk about almost everything.
    Its not the fact im bi! But because my brothers are idiots and o get away with things
    We kind of have to be close.
    So yeah ill get back to you on that.

3. Samii

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Maybe is stress or low weight problem?

4. Ashabi

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thankyou for your replies ALieToDieFor and Samii

Samii, I considered them. Stress, I suppose is an option. As for low weight, I am in the lower end of my BMI but nonetheless within the "normal" levels last time I checked.

Even so, I don't feel overly stressed. In fact, in day to day life, I don't feel overly harried a lot of the time. So, I don't know.

5. ALieToDieFor

Texas City,TX but Huntington beach,california atm
    Okay so we ruled out the possiblity of stress and weight issues.
    Are you getting enough sleep?
    I know its a wierd question but not getting enough sleep can effect you more than you think.
    I dont see the problem in not having your period but if you want to make sure its nothing serious, I suggest you drink lots of fluids eat every 3-4 hours, something healthy and see what happens.
    You might want to see a doctor and ask about it if you start doing the above things and nothing has changed.

6. Revealed

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Although it might seem like a bit of a blessing I'd get it checked out by a doctor. I'm not aware of any reasons other than stress or weight loss that could cause your period to stop for such a long time.

The only time my period fluctuated was when I first started having them. But it was only out by a few weeks, not months.

I'm amazed that you couldn't find anything on the internet about it though. As you suggested it could be something as simple as hormone changes, but go to a doctor anyway to make sure everything's ok.

7. Ashabi

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    That was my thought too.

And the main reason I couldn't find anything on the internet was because every site I went to said pregnancy was basically the only reason for it to stop for so long.

Very reassuring.
    Well if I haven't got it by the end of the month, I'll go to a quack and get it checked out.

8. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Ashabi .......... Yes, please go to the doctor. This is something you should definitely get checked out. If you want children someday, you definitely want to know what's going on with your body and take care of it while you are at this age.

9. ebra

I had some very difficult problems with my period, i still do infact. I went over a year and some with out a period, I took all the chemical tests and stuff, and everything was normal, i was still sending out the signals to have a period, but just wasnt having one. the doctor put my on a form of birthcontrol and i have been fine...well not fine, lol but getting one ever since. just go in and get it checked. i was scared too, cause i mean really there is no reason for that to happen, and i was scared, for the reasons that becky mentioned too, future kids and stuff, but all is good, there is a good chance its just a hormone miscommunication. good luck!

10. JayHew

In Loving Memory Regular Member

It does require having things checked out. It is possible that you have developed a cyst that is producing hormones at such a level as to prevent a period from happening. At the time of ovulation, the egg is released near the fallopian tubes and the egg usually is captured and brought into the end of the tube (most often if it happens fertilization takes place there and the egg will then move down the tube and implant itself in the wall of the uterus) but in order for the environment to be conducive to the implanting of the egg, hormonal levels have to be elevated (progesterone) and this is produced by the corpus ludium, which is left over when the egg breaks out of the ovary. Over a certain period of time the corpus will stop producing and be absorbed by the ovary, but sometimes it will form a cyst that continues to produce hormone levels and be high enough to stop the normal cycle. Six months is a bit long of a time but not unheard of.

Or it could be a cycling of your own hormonal levels, and stress can have an effect. Next would be how athletic are you. Some female athletes, especially Olympic grade, work out so much and hard that it causes a shift in hormonal levels and they stop having periods. So there could be a number of reasons, but to know for sure, you need to have levels checked out.

In treatment, it may require going on BC pills for a time or other hormonal meds for a while then stopping abruptly.

Best wishes, but definitely go see a gynecologist.

11. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

In case you didn't realise Ashabi, JayHew is a doctor so his advise and information is correct and worth following. :thumbsup:

12. Ashabi

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It's typical that this happens straight after I post, but I'm getting what COULD be the beginings of a period. Never thought I'd say this, but I hope it is...

13. Louise

If it is, and I hope it is, then it was probably due to stress. Even if we don't think we are feeling stressed on a conscious level sometimes out bodies let us know that something is not right.

If it's not go and see your doctor, like Becky said you don't want to risk not being able to have children later on.

14. ebra

lol periods suck...but its oh so great when they come!!