1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aspirations for the future

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by JR, Sep 17, 2007.

1. JR

JR

Little by little life is getting easier and fairer for gays. I'm a lot older than most of you here (Gasp: in my 40s!) so I can recall a time not so long ago that was not nearly as accepting as it is now.

But for whatever things were or are, life has been good to me. I live a beautiful home with an amazing boyfriend. We have good-paying jobs. We take great vacations several times a year. Neither of us really has any desire to have children so we don't feel personally oppressed by the laws preventing gays from adopting in Florida. We'd like to be married, and we know it is just a matter of time before that can happen. But we live a great life. Our home is a restored (I know, stereotypical :icon_wink ) old treasure in a lovely neighborhood in Miami. We even have a white picket fence and a cute kitty.

I don't say any of this to brag. I say it because I want to make sure that you guys can understand that you can have pretty much whatever life you want. Which leads me to the point. What do you want out of life? What are your aspirations? Do you think that there are any obstacles that will be a challenge to overcome? Tell us about your dreams.

2. Ilayis

Ilayis Guest

I say good for the both of you that you were able to accomplish so much and lead great lifes.I want drive around the country and possibly visit some other countries(Germany,Ireland mostly).I'm gonna have a financial obstacle to overcome!

3. suburbs_of_sodom

Northern Virginia...neither here nor there
    Oh wow, what are my aspirations? Well, those would be quite a few.

I know I want to go to college right after high school (ED to Vassar...the deadline's approaching but I try not to think about it) and probably major in international studies. I also hope to meet someone there too (not initially though, I want to have some fun first) and get married soon after college. I would then get a job relating to my major until I had enough saved up to go to grad school for architecture. After school I would love to get a job in Europe...Scandinavia perhaps...maybe Greece even, and become well respected in the design world. Then my husband and I would have a kid or two, once we were economically stable. We'd probably both work, but we'd figure something out so we could both raise our child(ren) with minimal assistance. After the kids were gone, I would like to retire to Ravello, Italy, open a little bakery, and in my spare time paint the orange groves that overlook the Amalfi Sea...

Obstacles? Well those would be quite a few, namely: getting married (both meeting someone and obtaining legal status), leaving the states, gaining citizenship to a foreign country, continuing work while raising children, and gaining citizenship to yet another foreign country (I'm not entirely certain about inter-EU nation immigration laws, so it might be easier).

I am 100% positive that my life will not go as according to the above, but as of now, these are my dreams.

4. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

I want to be a real estate agent. Gay men are good at that.

5. winter89

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    i really want to be able to find a job in the theater world after i graduate. Luckily I'm a tech/design major so those jobs are slightly easier to find rather than the acting jobs, but it's still a hard life.

6. MalibuGuy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    OMG ME TOO!!:icon_bigg

7. Bryan

I want to get an MBA do some sort of financial work, and have a nice and happy family. It may be tough raising a family with a husband (or life partner depending on where I am), and I couldn't live in some places (like FL), but I wont let any of that get in my way.

8. JR

JR

Wow. Some of these are great. We've got some exciting global plans, great career plans, some family plans. makes me happy to see it!

I wish all of you success with your dreams. And I want to see even more.

Anyone have fantasies of multiple homes? A penthouse? A country farm or estate?

And what are we looking for in our spousal equivalents?

9. Mattie

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I want to be an animator. Heh, it's been a dream of mine since I was four years old. *grins*
    After getting an associates degree here in Texas, I'll hopefully transfer to Ringling as a computer animation major, and - considering Ringling's awesome job placement - will probably start my career soon after graduation.

As for a house, while this doesn't appeal to a lot of people, I want a downtown, industrial loft relatively close to the studio I'll be working at. I saw an industrial loft on TV when I was a teenager, and made up my mind then and there I want one . . . preferably with an awesome panoramic view of the city.

Partner-wise, I don't know what I want. I haven't given it much thought, really, since my mind's been on other things during the nearly two years since I "came out" to myself. So . . . nope . . . I have no idea what I want in a "spousal equivalent," as you say.

10. Torey

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I pretty much just want to be happy. I don't mean content...just happy. I'm an artist and I would really like the chance to do some more art dolls or maybe get a job in a wax museum. I guess more than anything, I just want to be secure.

11. Jim1454

Hi JR. Welcome to EC, and thanks for posting what you did. I agree with you that it's important (for the younger people here) to know that life is full of possibilities, and that great things can be accomplished, even if life at the moment doesn't seem so great. The world really opens up for you as you get older, if you're open to it! (wow - that's pretty profound, and it just kind of rolled out!)

I've had the 'executive home' on a large lot in the country, along with 'the wife, 2 kids, golden retriever, and volvo wagon' but I had all of that (obviously) living a life that didn't fit with who I really am. So with my separation I've had to give some of that up, at least for now, and lead a simpler life. However, I'm happier than I've ever been. I've already got a career on the go that is fairly rewarding and has progressed well so far. Plus I've bought myself my little roadster, which had always been a dream of mine!

In terms of aspirations - I'd just like to live a truly 'authentic' life. I'd like to have a significant other / partner that I can really be a part of the other aspects of my life. So ultimately 'coming out' to my parents and extended family, my kids, my coworkers - so that this partner (who ever he might be...) will be a completely integrated part of my life.

12. JR

JR

Thanks for the welcome, Jim!

How far along in the process are you as far as being able to integrate your 2 worlds?

I am very interested because a similar situation is happening with some dear friends of mine. I really would like the wife, children and soon-to-be ex-husband to be able to live life happily and civilly. The kids range in age from 10 - 16, so what they can understand is quite varied. This is a particularly troubling time for the parents who are in the middle of figuring out what to do.

13. Beachdreamer

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm amazed that I'm going to say this but I would love to get married!

I've been there and done that twice in the traditional way but it didn't work out and now that I've found my soul mate I understand why.

We've not been together very long, but oh boy I love her so much, I would love to marry her and show the world how amazing she is ..... and sorry I'll stop now.

My other dreams are to gain some more qualifications in health & safety so I can move along my career path a little further and of course earn a little more money, but that'll come in good time.

14. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Excellent thread - welcome JR! :slight_smile:

15. 24601

Well, my aspirations of the future have been shifted around a bit recently. For a long while I wanted to become a Professor of English, but my dad (who's paying my college) doesn't approve of that. Although I could probably still follow that path, I'd rather compromise and find something that both of us can be satisfied with (his approval doesn't mean that much to me, really, but I think it will be better, especially if I'm just as happy and earning possibly more money). So...

Now, I want to go into some field of Neuroscience, probably something like Neuropsychology/Psychobiology. I've always been enthralled by those sciences. I still think I'd like to get my Ph.D. It's something I've always wanted to do.

As for the rest of life, like everyone, I'd love to find myself a lovely boyfriend to settle down with. My dream home is a modern apartment or small house, near the ocean in some large city (or near one). I also love fountains and the sound of running water. I also love rain. Some place that encompasses all of that I would absolutely love.

In the end, I think the purpose of life is happiness. I think that, should I achieve the above, I could be happy. I could also be happy becoming a Broadway pit musician or a teacher, but they all have ups and downs. Making yourself and those you love happy should be the true goal for everyone in life. That's how I plan on living.

Obstacles? Nothing I can't overcome. Everyone faces obstacles. What makes a person successful is dealing with these obstacles and overcoming them, instead of cowering before them, or fearing them in anticipation. I'm sure that there will be obstacles down the road, as there have been obstacles in the past. Right now, though, I'll live in the moment and deal with problems facing me now. Goals are important - worrying (like I'd undoubtedly do, if I thought about future problems) can be detrimental to success.

I hope everyone achieves their dreams, and makes the most of every day alive. :thumbsup: