1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Australia here I come

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jamie, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Evilmonkey

yay Australia!!! yay adelaide!!!!

2. CrimsonThunder

*starts to chant*

COME TO ADELAIDE!

3. davo-man

I may be wrong but ive got a feeling people in England drive on the left side, like Australia, unlike America, but i might be wrong....Im pretty sure thats wat it was like when i was over there

4. Kimi

Uh-hah. People in England drive on the left side, like Australia and here in Japan!!!!

Yey, I finally posted in Australia thread(!)

5. aussie paul

I've lived in Melbourne but that was 21 yrs ago. I have lived most of my life in Sydney and still work there. Now I live on the NSW Central Coast, just an hour or so north of Sydney. We have beaches and natural bush / forest here. So I would recommend a weekend trip to the Central Caost if you are in Sydney for a while. Also a trip west of Sydney up to the Blue Mountains. (Not hugh mountains!) the scenery there is breathtaking. ook for The Three Sisters, ( a rock formation) and a town called Katoomba, for ourist info. Also if you like national capitals, Canberra is worth the trip, although I wouldn't want to live there myself. Canberra is about mid way between Sydney and Melbourne. But for the surf beach, forget melbourne and go to sydney. Maroubra is good, as is Coogee, and famous Bondi. Spring time is from September, when it's warm enough to go into the sea. Summer is December to Feb when it's quite hot in Sydney. Central OZ is another story. They have dry and rainy seasons, mainly dry these days. The red centre is magnificant, try a Town called Alice Springs and famous Uluru, (Ayers Rock). Ok, enough of that. Have fun planning. Remember Australia is vast in size and quite multi cultural in nature. Ok, bye, Paul

6. downboyup

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    love surfers paradise - gold coast, - all that is wonderful about tourism, glitz, and glamour and theme parks.

love tasmania - my homeland - beautiful scenery and great meandering roads with many discoveries.

love sydney - just full of busy ness and life

7. greg

My place is gay
    greg

8. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    thanks for all the tips guys, much appreciated!!! I shall definitely be making a note of them... gonna do the touristy thing and get a travel guide too - lol.

CAN'T WAIT!!! Sun, Sea, Sand, People who actually drive on the correct side of the road and of course living in hotel rooms for 6 months means I never have to make my bed :slight_smile:.

9. William1

Well I'm only a pretend Ausssie coz I'm from the UK and I'm only here for a couple of years. But don't come to Aussie in Dec, Jan, or Feb. It's too bloody hot! The bestest time is April/May. You can still surf coz the water's warm, but you are not hot and sticky all the time.

The Aussies are great, but don't expect them to love you coz your a Brit. They will call you names, but they don't mean any harm.

If you go to the Blue Mountains, go to a village called Blackheath and at the end of the high street is a lookout called Govett's Leap. There are fantastic views into a valley thousands of feet below.

[​IMG]

10. CrimsonThunder

Yeah lol. At school we had a british guy and we always payed him out about his accent, but he was a good friend.

11. CelebrityHead

Uhmm a good place to surf in Melbourne would be Bells Beach near Torquay. Hope you enjoy your stay over here!

12. CrimsonThunder

*wants too meet CH* We could MOSH =O

13. greg

Go to Wilsons Prom in Victoria its just fab.

14. downboyup

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    is it like visiting the colonies? us poor convict folk - when you come from UK.

Adelaide - South Australia was freely settled, no bread thieves here ! you should come see this part of the world.

low crime rate......lol

15. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    Well I kind of imagined that my accent may be something my colleagues jest about (they're only jealous), as I said though - the majority of my time will either be spent in Melbourne or Sydney and maybe one or two other cities where the company I work for has offices. So as far as places to go and things to see go, if it's not in those cities it'll be during days off, etc that I'll venture out.

Am keen to make the most of it though and it's unlikely that I'll have to pay for the petrol I use either... which makes travelling not an issue :slight_smile:

16. CrimsonThunder

Yeah its only a 20 minute walk from Melbourne to Adelaide, Australia is pretty small. :slight_smile:

17. nick79

yay melbourne!

18. davo-man

hahahaha

yeah when i wanna go for a quick jog i go from perth to the gold coast...and for a light swim i go from the mainland to Tasmania

19. jayden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    im a aussie to and i live at bondi. you will like it out here!!!

20. William1

Nah, look I get just as much stick for my accent in the UK when I go 'oop north' (they don't like people who speak 'posh'), and educated Aussies don't speak all that different from us southern English (they make some funny vowel sounds, though). Like if someone says "I came here to die." it doesn't mean he has like a terminal disease - it just means he arrived that day. :icon_bigg

Watch out for country Aussies though, some of them have really bad accents. I nearly got thumped coz I couldn't understand what one guy was saying, and he thought I was taking the Mick.