1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News DeSantis Blames 'Queer Theory' for AP African American Studies Course Rejection

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by mnguy, Jan 24, 2023.

1. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    "“This course, when I heard it, didn’t meet the standards. I figured, ‘Yeah, they may be doing CRT,’” DeSantis told reporters in Jacksonville. “It’s way more than that. This course on Black history, what [is] one of the lessons about? Queer theory. Now, who would say that’s an important part of Black history, Queer theory? That is somebody pushing an agenda on our kids.”"

https://www.advocate.com/news/ron-desantis-queer-theory-ap

2. Incoming

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This all raises interesting questions.

Will Florida ban any European-history course from mentioning that the Nazis also rounded up gays for the concentration camps ?

Will classes on government and the US legal system have to avoid discussing why the Supreme Court voted to protect same-sex marriage rights in 2015?

Will sex-education be forbidden from discussing anal sex, or any kind of sexuality that's "non procreative" (which could include oral sex and the use of condoms and birth control ) ?

Such are the absurdities we'll see as Florida becomes an evangelical theocracy.

#2 Incoming, Jan 25, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
  3. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What is Queer Theory ?

4. Ushiromiya Red

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    *laughs* WOW...He's really laying it on thick isn't he?
    [​IMG] I also like in the clip he's speaking, there is a sign on the podium that reads "Florida, The Education State." I'm sorry but how the hell can you be an "education state" when you're actively trying to ban everything that is...oh I don't know...EDUCATIONAL. Wow...:rolling_eyes: doesn't sound very educational to me. These right winged bigots seemed to think that we're some kind of monsters when in reality...these bigots are the real monsters for censoring critical topics like history just because it may not paint the Americans in a good light or whatever bullshit they think is going on. Being LGBTQ+ is NOT inherently sexual, these Bigots are the ones making it about sex!! Yet they throw the blame At US. Funny how that works. *sarcasm* Don't fall for their lies and projections. I was raised in a toxic household, I've been gaslit, and I've dealt with projection and guilt trips. That's all this is...they're blowing smokescreen and mirrors to tear our eyes and attention away from real issues. And they're trying to be as cruel as possible while spreading their alt-facts and trying to pass them as truth. They won't win in the end. LGBTQ+ RIGHTS ARE HUMAN RIGHTS! And our kids have a right to an UNCENSORED education!

5. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The state needs to get just a shade more blue to tip over. It's a very weird mix of blue and red. There are quite a few people who would never be part of that evangelical theocracy mindset who should be voting blue, but aren't. I won't get into the specifics, but some may know who and what I'm hinting at. When I watch election results come in from Florida, I'm usually on edge.

6. Incoming

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm guessing you're talking about folks who think that voting GOP is a vote against communism and dictatorship ? I only wish they looked harder at who's been apologizing for Putin and Russia...

I hope you're right... I do wonder if FL will become as lost to the Democrats as CA is to the Republicans. But the future seems quite unpredictable... FL is also becoming increasingly unaffordable, which makes me wonder if higher-income, better-educated professionals will become a larger part of the demographic.

7. Ushiromiya Red

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Holy crap, this is such an excellent point. The GOP are the ones simping for Putin/Russia...it's because they want the USA to be authoritarian under a theocratic rule. The cruelty is the point with a lot of there bassackwards laws and philosophies.

8. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    They love that about putin, make all of us LGBTQ people illegal again. It's really bad when a group that big in the US is pro putin. Groups in the US give money to spread anti-LGBTQ laws in Russia, Eastern Europe, Africa and wherever they think they can rile up support for their hateful beliefs and laws.

Picking on us should be very unpopular in the US by now after all the decades of fighting for rights and everyone knows someone like us they supposedly love. It should be a losing idea for anyone taken seriously, yet here we are still with popular politicians spreading lies about us and it's just fine with all the people who vote for them. It's disgusting.

9. Ushiromiya Red

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    [​IMG]
    Honestly I couldn't have said it better myself. It is indeed disgusting what they want to do...they want to push the LGBTQ+ community back in the closest, take away our basic freedoms, and make it so we basically don't exist....it's very disturbing and disgusting and I will never understand why people vote for these scumbags.

10. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If he becomes president, I’m moving to Europe.

11. Ushiromiya Red

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, I'm right there with you.

12. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I dont understand why everyone is so obsessed with going backwards all sudden.

13. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Background article on Queer Theory.

The theory challenges heterosexuality and the ideas that underpin it and seeks to study sexual practices and gender in a much broader sense. It challenges the idea that only heterosexuality is normal.

14. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thats the dumbest thing I ever heard !

15. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nobody tell this man about disco.

16. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's not everyone, it's one group of people. The same assholes who have been picking on minorities forever. They keep working the side of hate, anger, resentment, etc against us and our basic want to live freely and love. We and all good people will resist their stupidity and hate.