1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Creatives: Whatcha Working on?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by JayeJJimenez, Aug 25, 2022.

1. JayeJJimenez

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    To my fellow Creative members: Anything cool or challenging you're working on that you want to share or talk about?
    It can be anything....

2. DragonChaser

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been working on a second book for a while, called "Nine Suns."

It's set some 300k years in the future, where an interplanetary war destroys the solar system, and the only survivor - in an experimental ship capable of warp - learns about colony ships from millennia before that chose 9 nearby star systems to make a new life on, each with their own design for their desired future. Some chose technology, some chose simplicity, some chose advancement at all cost, some chose far darker things.

The main character, Nuru, is a supersoldier; the humans who chose to remain in the solar system are very advanced for a non-interstellar spacefaring species. Effectively, her nervous system is the only part of her that is "hers." The rest of her, cell by cell, is replaced with an advanced synthetic replica that is more effective at sustaining her than her own body even at peak fitness.

As such, at the beginning of the story, she is more than 300 years old, and is considered relatively young for her position within the military; she was equipped with the warp prototype to eliminate an automated weapon's facility somewhere beyond the Sun's Oort cloud that was supplying the opposition. It is also for this reason she survived when a device was detonated that forced the Sun to hypernova and obliterate the whole of the star system.

Each of the nine stars gets 3 chapters, and she takes on a new "crew" member at each one, though these vary quite heavily in their relevance, usefulness, and tangibility; for instance, one is a hologram AI facsimile built out of a video record, while another is literal vat-grown pieces of a brain inserted into a human-shaped robot.

I've had the idea for a while, but I'm stuck on a few details. Still need to get the first draft hammered out, too, but I think the concept is really solid, and I need to put one more under my belt before my first book turns 10, anyway.

3. bsg75apollo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am working on some sketches for a painting I want to do. Even though it is abstract, it is on a large canvas and I want to get some of the proportions and placements worked out before I start.

4. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm working on a piece of statement art (I say as I have so many pieces that I haven't finished). I also want to finish a couple of painting projects soon. I may post a different piece of statement art if I take a decent picture of it.

5. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Writing: I'm "working" on an adult fantasy novel about a disgraced prince and a royal swordsmith. I'm working on it in the loosest terms because I haven't actually touched it since early July. My hope is to get back into the swing of things in a couple of weeks. In the meantime, writing and posting fanfiction owns my entire soul.

Crochet/knitting: I'm crocheting a baby blanket for a coworker (almost done, which is good because the baby is due in a little over a month) and knitting a scarf.

6. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm redrawing an old childhood drawing of mine. Whilst I know that on a technical level the original drawing is absolutely terrible, I've been keeping it in my art folder because I like the concept. I think my younger self was onto something with this character concept. Frankly, I'm really bad at drawing humans. I'm much better at drawing smaller animals such as squirrels and birds. Humans are complicated. Despite this, I'm ready to give it another go. I'm treating this as a learning experience, rather than expecting an amazing result right away. There is a certain thrill to seeing it gradually improve.

7. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    A non-fiction book - that's all you need to know!

It's taken me years and, for the moment, it's a source of huge embarrassment. One day, it'll be complete though..

Beth

8. JayeJJimenez

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've got a bunch of ideas in various stages of development. Granted these are all fanfics with the possibility of turning into proper works:
    1) A sequel to The Lord of the Rings* by J.R.R. Tolkien. Taking place during the end of The Return of the King. It would help explain the fate of the Blue Wizards and the ushering of the return of Melkor/Morgoth, the Bigger Bad of Middle-Earth.
    2) The Shade. A superheroine set during the Great Depression. Vaudevillian Performer Charlotte O'Day suffers a personal tragedy and becomes the Vigilante heroine, The Shade, keeping the streets of New York City safe. Mayor Fiorello LaGuardia could show up.
    3) DC Earth-330: My own complete retcon of DC Comics Continuity.
    4) Starred.
    Romance novel that deals with the meeting between burned-out and post-meltdown A-List actress Tabitha Smith and down-to-earth loveable quirky aloof loner Nathan "Nate" Evans.
    Other ideas come and go too... UGH.

9. JayeJJimenez

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    One idea I've had flittering about is a modernized LGBTQ+ take on The Phantom of the Opera where the Phantom character is a lesbian, but still has the whole scarring-mask-wearing-and-flair-for-the-dramatic bit from the story and is a music genius. The Christine Daae character is bisexual as she does start to fall for both the Phantom and the Raoul character and has a budding musical talent. Raoul would be nominally straight character and he would be a bit of the jealous type. However there would be a twist to the story we've all heard about. Sure it would have the same-ish beats but with a big difference in the ending and personalities.

10. Loves books

I mostly take brightly coloured string or paper and make rainbow friendship bracelets with little charms or deck the place with bright paper flowers. I keep adjusting and adding to the ongoing daydream I’ve been creating since I was young. That’s over 20 years old now. That world is my best creation and school taught me how to spend hours there every day.

11. caden0803

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I colored today.

12. Ebony

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I am trying to think of a idea for a surrealism painting.

13. FoxFeathers

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm working on this weird royal melodrama within my fantasy world. It sort of goes along with my main storyline and gives a bit of political context, as well as giving me an excuse to write an over-the-top amount of dramatic whatever. I have a plethora of characters to kill of at my whim, and I don't have to make them good people if I don't want to. It serves as a sandbox for me to let off my trashy-reality-TV energy (my curse for watching too much Riverdale), as well as experimenting with darker, more drastic plot elements that may be a bit too unsavory for and/or don't quite fit my main story.

I have a passion for the characters in this particular story, despite their terrible personalities and questionable morals.

I also have a seemingly infinite family tree saved to familyecho.com for that story- a never-ending supply of characters at my disposal. My overall plot is very loose, and I bounce around POVs and have about a twenty year time period to work with, so there's always another thing to work on, so if I lose my motivation on one subplot, I can just move on to a different one. In the end, I intend for it to be a pretty long compilation of these royal shenanigans, not necessarily with one overarching plotline but rather a bunch of small ones woven into a chaotic tapestry.

14. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Too many things at the moment, but can't seem to get any of them wrapped up lol
    Two full length novels
    Handful of shorter stories
    Two RC trucks
    One RC truck trailer
    Fullsize pickup truck

All in varying degrees of completions, and stuck on most of them.

15. BubbleButt

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Currently writing a short story/narrative surrounding an ancient Iron Age structure. Being an Archaeologist I interprete the sites I dig at. So, with my background knowledge I am attempting to write a story of how this particular structure my have been used...

16. Gigi K

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm working on a horror short story that someone has offered me 300USD for, and I'm getting on with it really well, I think it might be done by next week! Not to mention, I'm making costumes for two theatre plays : 'Agnes of God' and 'Mamma Mia' from scratch, so that's fun, I'm really enjoying it! I also am creating some commissioned art for some friends, they are paying me as well. I am saving up to buy a new phone, and also dye my full hair/head red in time for this Christmas; wish me luck! I'm really gonna need it xD!

17. brigitta

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Working on a instrumental music piece, hopefully will finish this time around.

Also, a non-fiction book is in progress… But the progress is painfully slow.

18. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Going to try an oil painting this Christmas .. it’s been 2 years since I last tried

19. BiGemini87

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Currently nothing, with the holidays so close. But when they're over, I'll be returning to editing one of my novels-to-be, while also outlining another (magical girl inspired).

20. Ushiromiya Red

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am currently working on a crossover fanfiction of Umineko and Yu-Gi-Oh Arc-V. It revolves around Yuzu and her relationship with the Seven Stakes of Purgatory. Right now she's been cast aside by her kidnapper (who claimed to love her), Asmodues.. and I'm trying to figure out how to follow it up. probably some magical fighting or something since magic is possible in the meta world where they're at.

I also want to do some more drawings, one related to my current ongoing fic and one based on my recent Pokemon team in Pokemon Violet.