1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's Pride - so why do I feel so angry, resentful and dysphoric?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by chicodeoro, Jul 2, 2022.

1. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    There, I've said it.

I couldn't get to sleep last night, consumed as I was, by those feelings.

Angry - well, certainly in the UK there has been a BLIZZARD of pride hype in the last month. Every last brand, corporation and public body has been jumping on the bandwagon amid an ocean of a rainbow flags. It's virtue signalling turned up to 11 and quite frankly, it's a bit much.

Because where were they all during the 80s and 90s, during the long years when Section 28 was on the statute book? Where was the support when we needed them?

Because there is one letter in the community who really do need public support RIGHT NOW and simply sporting rainbow flags doesn't really cut it. I'm talking about the trans community and trans women in particular. In the UK at least it's been open season on us in the media for quite some time now. We have an institutionally transphobic government with a sports minister who wants to stop us playing competitive sport, a Prime Minister (who let us not forget has used phrases like 'bum boys' in his journalism in the past) who whilst banning conversion therapy for the LGB community wants to preserve it especially for trans folk. Our rights to use the toilet and bathrooms aligned to our gender are now in danger, amid a moral panic that we 'pose a danger' to cis women. Our very existence is an 'issue' to be debated on TV and in print.

And I'm f****** sick of it. If the corporate world want to support us they could come out and unequivocally oppose governmental transphobia. But they won't.

So I won't be celebrating Pride today. Because I'm in the closet still to my stepson, because of that very institutional and societal transphobia. It's too dangerous. I'm still in legal dispute with his father and being trans could and probably would be used against me in a court of law. So I can't come out yet. I will have to spend the day in male clothes, pretending to be someone I'm not any more.

Ok rant over. Thanks for listening. Enjoy today, but spare a thought for those of us who, because of the way society is still set up, have to remain closeted for our own protection.

Beth x

#1 chicodeoro, Jul 2, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2022
  2. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I get this, on a personal level in fact. You know my story and why coming out isn't safe for me, so I'll spare you a repeat. I just wanted to say that I'm so sorry that this is affecting your custody of your stepson. I know that has to be heart-wrenching and terrifying. Even though he's your stepson that 'step' doesn't make any difference in how much you love him (and I wish that took more priority in court than being blood related because of that right there). The fact that you're willing to suppress who you truly are in order to not put any of that in jeopardy says a lot. I wish I knew more than I do about the law so I could offer useful advice, but all I can do is be here to offer my support.

It would be nice if big corporations did in fact support us totally, then governmental transphobia would cease to exist (likely rather quickly). Instead we have things like rainbow capitalism and fear mongering, the only real reason they show support now is because it makes them more money than being hateful does these days.

#2 TinyWerewolf, Jul 3, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2022