1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to start game development for fun as a web developer

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Vega222, Jun 17, 2022.

1. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hopefully there are some game developers here?

I am an existing web developer for 1-2 years now and I want to do some game development as a hobby in my free time. My pc is old and weak for unreal engine or things like that, I guess.

So, I wanted to start game development and I don't have much idea what tools/languages are good for me and also are workable on my pc! I want to work with C# or C++ (that is a must). And I don't care about graphics much. I only love the coding part for now. That's what excites me. Can I work with Unity?

My pc's specs: AMD 5750, AMD Phenom II X4 and 8GB of ram.

2. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know for a fact that Unity works with C#. One of the reasons why I started learning that language (I'm not very far in it yet) was to try and do game development, and I had just gotten off a project where I made a sprite sheet that got put into Unity. I wanted to do more after that.

As for C++, that seems to be a bit of an older method of making games now. Not to say it's impossible (My favorite game, Cave Story was made in that language entirely from scratch). But it is possible. Not sure which programs will use it, though.

3. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I actually installed Unity eventually and will stick to it and see how satisfying it is or perhaps not. I have no idea yet.

Are you going to keep learning C# and Unity? From what you wrote, I suppose you have been taking a break or something. Maybe you are discouraged?

I used to think C++ is old and is gonna lose the market to its rivals too. But when I checked the statistics and heard from people, I don't think that's right. C++ seems to be overwhelmingly popular in game development as I understand.

4. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ah! I'm not discouraged at all. Coding isn't my focus necessarily. I'm an animator. So most of the things I do involve drawing. It's less of a "I don't want/can't do this" and more of a "I keep getting pulled away from this" thing. I do absolutely want to continue learning C#. But a lot of it has to do with my mindset of "I want to know more of this process so I'm more informed about my animating and drawing for these projects".

5. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I see. Good luck!
    I think we are kinda on the opposite side. I want to explore programming in video games and see how it's like to code in a game. Graphics, animations, etc are not my main purpose/interest here. But that's for now, maybe I get to love them in the future.