1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hiding Your Authentic Self and Fear

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by bsg75apollo, Jan 12, 2022.

1. bsg75apollo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hopefully, I won't ramble too much.

Many years ago, in college, I almost came out to my girlfriend. At the last second I chickened out. I was afraid of rejection, discrimination, disappointing people, AIDS, homophobia, being alone, and as an only child thought I owed my parents grandkids. Throw in being confused and unsure and a good dose of Catholic guilt I was sunk before I started.

Several years later, I married and had two kids. We eventually divorced due to unrelated issues. I thought about coming out again but I convinced myself that my ex would use it against me, I would make the kids' life more difficult, and that no one would be interested in a divorced father of two in their mid-30's with dad bod. It was fear once again.

I remarried again. I'm not sure of the true motivation, probably going with the flow and conforming to societal norms. Fortunately, it has gone well.

I recently started therapy to deal with depression and a serious medical issue. I have come to realize that I need to deal with some stuff I don't want to. I'm exhausted from hiding part of myself, but I have no interest in running off to chase things that probably won't happen when I don't want to lose a life that I'm happy with..

Thoughts? Insights?

quietman702 likes this.
  2. Mj5963

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello and hopefully my own journey can assist in some way because I totally understand the sentiment . Is the grass greener on the “other side.” Point of reference I am now 62 , in excellent shape as was college athlete and most always tell me I look like I am in late 40’s so I feel blessed . Married for 34 years three adult kids now one grandchild . I started exploring with guys about 16 years ago , my wife discovered it and confronted me in 2016 to which I admitted it all and essentially came out to her then . We went thru plenty of therapy And agreed our marriage ended as we knew it but we really get along great and are great friends so we decided to stay together . That was five years ago and I still remain in a place where I have many thoughts of leaving to live that “authentic” life per say but candidly what they hell
    Does that mean . All I can say is everyone has their own unique situation , the thing that has been a savior is being open and honest . I still see guys some as have a few friends with benefits . I do think what would happen if we divorce and I just don’t see me starting a new life at 62 to be what society calls authentic. So all I say is be whoever you feel happy to be ! Hope this gives some hell in your journey

3. bsg75apollo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It does sound a little pop pysch, but for me living authentically is simply being myself without pretense.

quietman702 likes this.
  4. Rupert30

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don’t have any actual advice. But I envy you for knowing you are gay and accepting it - I feel if I could know this and accept it I would be able to act from there accordingly. For what it’s worth I’m certain you can live an authentic life and find someone no matter your age/self image situation

5. Contented

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Age has no bearing on living authentically . For me means being exactly who you are without reservations, shame or second guessing. It’s not necessary to change your life, fly an LGBTQ flag, find a boyfriend but rather know your own self well enough to acknowledge your feeling and emotions and honestly embrace your true sexuality first to yourself.

6. old tacoma

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    @Contented has it right. You decide who/what “authentic” means for you. Others can tell you their experience, but ultimately you determine your own authenticity. A quote from Dr Seuss: “Be who you are and say what you feel. Because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.”

SevnButton, Contented, Alex2 and 2 others like this.
  7. Peterpangirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's spot on. Nobody could say it more succinctly, Old Tacoma.

8. cornersky

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi @bsg75apollo. You can see I'm new to this group so I won't be offering any advice, just some sharing. For nearly all the same reasons I have also been in the closet as a bi man my entire life. This group is the first I have ever come out to. Like you, I have grown children and a marriage that ended due to unrelated reasons. Now that I'm ready to share my heart again with another person the one thing I am fully committed to is being fully open. I have promised my next partner will know I am bi and be comfortable with it. I can not and will not live in secret ever again with my life partner. Sadly, I have never experienced a same-sex sexual encounter and worry I may regret not doing so. Still, I am again considerting perusing only women. At 60 my life is deeply rooted. I have loving family, wonderful friends, and a close community who all want happiness for me. Undoubtedly, they would accept me for who I am but I am not sure I am up to entering a whole new world this late in life. I have learned a lot from this group. First, there aren't requirements for being "bi" or anything else. I get to choose who I love, how I love, and who knows. I had assumed you had to be fully out to be fully authentic and self-accepting. It was life changing to hear I had the right to privacy. Thanks to EC, I'm rapidly embracing my sexuality and casting off decades of shame. The discovery that I can be both authentic AND private has taken a huge load off of my mind. And finally, as a bi person, I don't have to choose one sex or another. The person who makes me happy is the only thing that counts. It's very likely I will share this with my grown daughters. I want them to know who their father is. I want to be a good example about self acceptance. For all I know, one of them could be struggling with identity too. They must always feel safe knowing my love is boundless. Its too early in my journey to know if I will ever have a relationship with a guy. Part of me still hopes so. But sharing life with a women who loves me for everything I am would be equally fulfilling. I wish you peace and joy in your journey. You are not alone and thanks to you sharing your story, I feel less alone too.

Qrex9871, old tacoma and bsg75apollo like this.
  9. quietman702

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm proud of you for reaching out on EC and I know it courage to do so. Please know that you're not alone as I can relate to a lot of what you posted.

cornersky likes this.