1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opened up to a psychologist about my HOCD (Female)

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Obliteratrix47, Oct 11, 2021.

1. Obliteratrix47

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yesterday I went to my school's psychologist. I asked her if she knew about OCD. I even told her that I have intrusive thoughts and I told her that I believed I was a lesbian and other OCD themes. She told me that I don't have OCD and that it's normal for people to have intrusive thoughts. We arranged a meeting on Friday. I'll try my best to explain that I also have false attractions. I want to tell you guys that my false attractions are getting lower and lower, so that's a good news.

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a little surprised that she just dismissed your concern by telling you that you don't have OCD if she did not spend time questioning your symptoms and understanding what you are experiencing. And while it's true that people have intrusive thoughts now and again, no, it is not true that everyone has intrusive thoughts constantly.

I'm glad to hear that your false attractions are decreasing. I hope that the psychologist will spend the time to really hear you out and understand fully what's going on for you so that you get the help you need (whether it's OCD or something else or simply teen angst.)

Obliteratrix47 likes this.
  3. Obliteratrix47

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    She just didn't ask about my symptoms. I just told her that I have intrusive thoughts of doing things that are taboo and she said that it doesn't look like that I have OCD. But I hope she'll understand my situation once I give her a lot of explanation. I really appreciate for taking the time to help me out, Chip.

#3 Obliteratrix47, Oct 12, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
  4. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    KidDJ.....OCD isn't about having intrusive thoughts about doing things that are, as you say "Taboo". It's about having those thoughts over and over. It's about those thoughts never stopping, getting to the point where they are controlling your life...interfering with your normal life to the point that you are no longer able to do the things that are part of your regular routine. When any type of thoughts or actions begin to take control of your life to the point that you can no longer live a normal existence...then you are dealing with OCD. If what you are dealing with matches that description, then you need to make it very clear to your pyschologist. If she still doesn't think that you are having issues with OCD, I'd start looking for a different therapist/psychologist/etc. OCD can be seriously debilitating. It can bring your normal life to a halt. It needs medication and work with therapist to be able to control its effects. I have OCD that manifests by counting. Before I connected with a therapist, there were times that I was barely able to function due to the OCD constantly interfering with my everyday life. A combination of medication and therapy have allowed me function in an almost completely normal way. I still have times when it's difficult, but I know now what is happening and what I can do to bring it under control. If your psychologist doesn't take you seriously, please find another professional to talk to!
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

5. Obliteratrix47

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you. :slight_smile:

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Quebec gave a great description of OCD. Like all mental health conditions, there are degrees of severity, and a bunch of inclusion/exclusion criteria that are used to make a diagnosis. So nobody can say that anyone else does or does not have OCD without going through the inclusion/exclusion criteria and asking questions about them. She may be making an off-the-cuff statement, but honestly, that's not really ethical, nor is it empathic to dismiss someone's concerns. Hopefully you'll get a more complete evaluation when you see her.

7. Obliteratrix47

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hope so too. Thank you again.