1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't know how to feel

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by tidalpool127, Sep 8, 2021.

1. tidalpool127

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello EC,

So I've been in a therapy a few weeks now and it's going well in terms of dealing with negative thought cycles,techniques for staying calm during intense emotions, etc. However, my therapist recommended that I would have to reach a level of acceptance in myself in order for my main issue of chronic insecurity to go away.

So in order to prepare for therapy, I've been opening up about cross-dressing on here. I don't really have anyone besides my therapist to talk to about it, I know it is very weird so sorry I'm just not sure where else to turn to. I like to wear lingerie mainly underwear meant for women. I also fantasize about wearing female swimwear but have never tried that. I have been this way since I was a young boy and I do not understand why. My therapist says that I most likely cannot make these thoughts and feelings go away. I fear that if I cannot stop that it may negatively affect my marriage. My husband knows but is not thrilled. I am not sure how to accept this about myself. It feels somewhat unfair that I am gay, have Asperger's, and these desires as well.

I'm not sure what I'm looking for with this post, maybe just to vent. I just feel a bit alone, from my own research it appears that most men who deal with this are straight. Also, and please I don't mean any disrespect, I am a bit worried about what this all means. I told my therapist about my mom telling me not to become a woman when I came out as gay and she asked if there was any possibility that I am transgender. I don't feel trapped in the wrong body but I do obviously like to express some femininity and I like getting my nails done(clear coat) and floral prints and other traditionally feminine things. I like my hair but sometimes wish it was straighter so it would fall down my shoulders when long instead of doing the semi-afro thing it does. I have long been a bit jealous of women and girls being able to naturally express their femininity without pushback. All this combined with my cross-dressing and I am scared that this could mean I am transgender. I know there is nothing wrong with being transgender; however having been "othered' for aspects of myself(like flapping my hands due to Asperger's) since before I could properly talk I honestly do not think I have the fortitude to be even more different than I already am. Sorry for ranting and sorry if this is disrespectful.

2. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Your therapist is probably right. Anything like this that has been with you all of your life will likely stay with you the rest of your life. You cannot change who you are.

From what you say later it seems that you, your mom and your husband think that if someone cross dresses that they must transition. This is not true, it is entirely possible for you to be feminine and like feminine things and still be a cis male gay man.

My mothers favorite saying was "Life's not fair".

Your research might be true but probably only due to the fact that the majority of men are straight and therefore of the number of men who desire to cross dress then the majority of those will be straight. I have known a lot of gay men who have no gender identity issues who cross dress. Most drag queens that I have met were gay men who never had a desire to transition.

There are people who group cross dressers under the transgender umbrella. This does not mean that they have to medically transition or live as female in any way. You can cross dress and be a cis male.

I also have been diagnosed with Asperger's and I live as a transitioned person, I know what it is like to be "othered". The thing is that we are who we are and cannot change that. Also, you do not have to be public about wearing women's underwear. No one outside of you and your husband ever actually needs to know and thus most people would never even look at you oddly over it.

tidalpool127 likes this.
  3. staticinmyattic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I’ve learned that there is no such thing as a consistent “transgender experience”. Sure, there are common themes, but everyone follows their own path. This inconsistency of experience can be a contributing factor in denial. If no trans person’s experience matches mine perfectly, i can’t be trans, right? I used the fact that I don’t typically cross dress as “proof” that I’m not trans. I ignored the fact that I’ve never once had a living circumstance where I could safely explore, and have tried dressing on all of the few and rare opportunities I’ve had.

My point is that never having had feminine clothing on for more than 10 minutes at a time isn’t proof that I am or am not trans. Same goes for you. I think of clothes and gender expression almost like a flashlight. The clothes themselves aren’t what matters, but what they illuminate inside of yourself.

LiftDead and tidalpool127 like this.
  4. tidalpool127

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello @QuietPeace and @staticinmyattic. Thank you both for responding and for being kind about it. I am feeling a bit lost is all. I don't know why I'm like this and right now I feel more desire to dress than I have in over a decade. I tucked these things away when I started dating my husband over a decade ago. I just don't want to be rejected because of who I am. I didn't ask to have these issues.

Being a drag queen is about creativity and courage and that's something to be proud of. Being transgender is about being your true self and courage and that is something to be proud of. I don't think it's the same with me. QuietPeace is right, I'll never be out about this. I have seen a few other gay man ask about wearing panties on other sites and the responses from most other gay men were not kind. So I don't really fit in my own community.

I have thought about being female before but more as a curiosity than a need. The only time I got a bit serious about it was when I was 12 and the praying for 6 months for me to like girls more than boys was not working; so for the next 6 months I prayed to wake up a girl so my attractions would be normal. Of course that did not work either. So I'm not really a part of the trans community either. I just want to fit somewhere, I do not want to be out here alone.

5. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wow, this really touched me. I think that this is the thing that most humans really feel, not wanting to be alone. I myself often feel the same way, I have transitioned but do not identify as trans because I do not seem to fit into the way people expect of people who transition. I hope that you can somehow someday find a way to accept who you are and what your needs are and be accepted by the people in your life.

tidalpool127 likes this.
  6. staticinmyattic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I spent almost 40 years closeted to myself. I raised the white flag this summer, and decided that my war against myself was over. The mental habits that I have built and nurtured to keep myself in denial (psychological self-abuse, conscious muting of personality and affect, etc) are beginning to crumble away. I’m making the invisible transition from decades as trans-in-denial to trans.

Other than feeling better about myself and replacing the abusive male voice in my head with a nurturing female one, you know what changed? Nothing. Granted, these are early days, and I have no idea what’s next. I have made no decisions about transitioning, and have absolutely no obligations to do anything I’m not ready for. The only thing that changed is that my brain seems less inscrutable and I can name my feelings more easily.

tidalpool127 likes this.
  7. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don’t feel like anything is changed either within me after aknowledging myself. I’m still the same person I was before, but things just make more sense.

That’s all up to you to decide. We all want to belong somewhere, that also is part of being human. The need to belong. I wish I could be more helpful, but don’t really know how to help. Being in therapy is very good and I hope you figure things out.

tidalpool127 likes this.
  8. tidalpool127

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you for your replies. I'm okay, I just wish I understood more about why I'm like this. I do wish I had the courage to express my femininity(not just the panties) more openly but I have a lot of shame from my family trying to police me when I was little. I sometimes do wish certain things about me were more feminine-looking but I don't know if I am trans. I would make for a horrible looking woman without extensive surgeries. I just want to be myself without it ruining my relationships.

9. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It makes me sad that you are in a place where you feel threatened to express who you really are, I hope that eventually you are in a place and with people around you who make you feel safe to express your true self.

10. staticinmyattic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I suggest starting small. I repressed my femininity so deeply that even vaguely non-masculine activities would feel like a threat to my safety (grooming body hair, wearing colorful clothes, walking comfortably, etc). So I started with small stuff, and every time it was like a sunrise in my brain. It sounds like you’re already more comfortable with expressing yourself than I am, and I’m a little jealous. Starting small won’t look the same for you as it does for me, but it’s not a race. Set a pace and explore! It’s scary, but I do t think there’s much regret to be had in learning about ourselves.

Edit: You know who else make horrible looking women without extensive surgeries? A lot of cis women. I’m going to guess however that you wouldn’t see an “unattractive” (for lack of a better word) woman and say “Get thee to a surgeon!” Perhaps there’s some wisdom to be found in knowing if you want to present as a woman, or if you want to present as a HOT woman.

#10 staticinmyattic, Sep 9, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
    tidalpool127 likes this.
  11. tidalpool127

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm physically safe, my husband would never hurt me in that way. I am afraid he would want to leave me if I ever told him things about wanting to be more feminine. He has said things about being gay and thus not wanting to have a femme partner in any way in the past. I'm not even that femme-presenting save for my twisted preoccupation with lingerie. I was more masculine, or rather projected more masculinity, when I met him but I hadn't been openly gay for that long and so was too insecure to be myself fully. I, I just want these feelings to stop. I want to be a normal gay man.

12. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am sorry. I have been there.

But, what is a "normal" gay man??? Plus, due to many of my identities and differences. I think that being "normal" is very overrated and I myself would never want to be a "normal" anything.

staticinmyattic likes this.
  13. staticinmyattic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    There are those who would say you are a normal gay man. There are those who would say there’s no such thing. There are those would (and do) say I’M a normal gay man despite never having felt a same sex attraction or thinking of myself as such. Don’t stress yourself about “normal”. I get that “normal” is safe. My outward life is normcore AF. But is normal what you want, or what you need to maintain security? If the answer is that it’s not what you want, but what you need, well, you’re in good company. It’s ok. It doesn’t mean you have some unavoidable destiny and no say. This is your show.

#13 staticinmyattic, Sep 9, 2021
    tidalpool127 likes this.
  14. tidalpool127

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend with the "normal" word. I'm just upset. I don't know what I need. I don't think I'm really a woman but I know that I don't have the right characteristics to be a "traditional" man either. Also, my husband would continue to love me as a person and would be supportive of me emotionally/mentally I don't want to imply he would not be. But he does find overly femme presentation to be unattractive and I don't think he can help that. So I think at the very least our marriage would drastically change if not end and I know I do not want that. It's so stupid to think my life would fall apart just because I have some silly hangup about underwear.

15. caden0803

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don’t think you feel ashamed for liking something that doesn’t involve hurting other people in this case. If they have a problem with it, that’s their business not yours. So I say if you find enjoyment in that you should be allowed to express it.

#15 caden0803, Sep 9, 2021
    tidalpool127 likes this.
  16. tidalpool127

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you. I know logically I should not be ashamed but it is hard to grapple with. I think I have a lot of shame around being perceived as feminine.

So I have trans people that I love in my life and I personally think the LGB should do more to support our T sisters/brothers/persons. This is especially true because, at least in the US, conservative politicians are hammering trans people now that the battle of same-sex marriage has been clearly lost by them. However, for me personally I really hope I am not truly a woman. My husband would be understanding and want to remain friends but our marriage would almost certainly end and this would be devastating to me. Plus although the rest of my family accepts me being gay, trans would be a significantly harder pill for them to swallow. I think I am a man...just a gay man with some feminine qualities and proclivities. The love of my life is trying, but wishes I did not have these proclivities. Not because he is a bad man or wishes for me to hurt, quite the opposite. But he is gay. Feminine things do not get him hot and bothered. So I get it. I did tell him when we first started dating, but I did downplay how bad it was. I thought I could just step away from all this. I've gone years ignoring these thoughts. But they are stronger than ever now and I quite honestly do not know what the hell I am going to do.

17. caden0803

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people

#17 caden0803, Sep 9, 2021
  18. tidalpool127

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol, as long as the shade is witty I might could stand that. Plus if I can get past the shame, no tea no shade I guess.

caden0803 likes this.
  19. caden0803

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well no matter what happens always stay true to who you are even when it seems the odds are stacked against you.

tidalpool127 likes this.
  20. tidalpool127

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you everyone. I feel better today. I get very emotional sometimes and get caught up in that. My last message about not wanting to be trans...I'm real sorry, I shouldn't have said something disrespectful like that. I was letting myself get too upset. I have some gender expression that is a bit strange for a cis male but I'm pretty sure that is what I am. I thought about it, and I think most of the hurt comes from others questioning my manhood just because I have certain traits. So again, thank you everyone for responding. I really appreciate that I can talk about things that are very hard for me to talk about IRL and get such fantastic support from wonderful people.

caden0803 likes this.