1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help getting ticks out of a binder

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by ErickWolf, May 25, 2021.

1. ErickWolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Someone please help me. Apparently the binder I had on got ticks in it, as did some of my other clothes (yes I wore effective bug repellent, tried to be careful, etc. Had to take some unplanned detours through some tall grass tho which of course I usually try to avoid).

I've never had this problem and honestly if I have to I may just fucking throw this binder out and order a new one because I'm beyond disgusted and idk if I can ever put that thing on again.

So, hot water and hot dryer are not really options...since that damages/ruins binders and there's a reason they tell you specifically not to do that shit. Perhaps hot dryer for as short as possible, since that's supposed to kill ticks and supposedly isn't as bad for the binder if it's a short enough amount of time and not super high heat. But what the fuck. How. Has anyone else had this problem before?

I've done stuff outdoors for years including hiking in woods and fields and walking dogs at a shelter in that kind of area. Always worn this bug repellent. Always worn binders. Always taken good precautions. This is a fucking new one.

This is a gc2b binder if that helps. Idk what kind of bugs these are, I assume ticks, bc they're actually somehow IN the binder. Between the layers. I noticed a lump and was like...oh no. Then shining a flashlight thru it, I can kinda see something.

2. sojabohnenfeld

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm unfamiliar with binders so I can't exactly help but I am familiar with ticks. You assume these are ticks? I'm sorry you haven't been able to get them out... ticks are so hard to kill, too.

I kill ticks with hand sanitizer. But I'm not sure how the material would react to this...........

3. MikeL1962

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Throw the binder in the freezer for a couple of days...put it in a paper or plastic bag.

4. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah the freezer would kill the bugs, I'm not sure how you would remove them after the fact.

MikeL1962 and ErickWolf like this.
  5. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Get a good seam ripper, and unstitch just enough of the bottom hem of the binder to get your hand in it. That shouldn't damage the binder, you can get the bugs out, and then tack it closed again.

Shorthaul and MikeL1962 like this.
  6. ErickWolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So...an update

Thanks everyone for the advice, but...apparently it wasn't ticks or even bugs!

It was just a few clumps of dirt and deodorant and it would have probably come out in the wash. Oops.

I cut some tiny holes in the fabric to get the then-unknown things out, saw what they were, and then sewed the holes up. Welp. No major damage done, and thank goodness it wasn't bugs! I just kinda laughed at the mistake and fixed it up bc what can ya do

#6 ErickWolf, Jun 2, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
  7. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well that is a better outcome than it could have been.

ErickWolf likes this.