1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Underrepresentation (Poll)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by LilLady9, Mar 2, 2021.

?

Who Do You Think Is the Most Underrepresented in the LGBTQ+ Community?

1. Bisexual

2. Pansexual

3. Lesbian

4. Gay

5. Asexual

6. Transgender

7. Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. LilLady9

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not surprised that bisexual is in second place. It's pretty far behind though.

2. kawhyyy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think bisexuality is definitely under-represented, but I voted asexuality because the LGBTQ community is so sex positive generally that if I were asexual I would probably feel quite uncomfortable at times for not sharing that attitude. I've also seen aces accused of just being damaged or sexually traumatised and I don't think it would be easy to come out if I had to anticipate that kind of judgement from my own community. Overall I think people could be a lot more accepting and supportive of ace persons and show more respect for their asserted indentities.

I think more of the problem with bi representation is not necessary a lack thereof, but a general misrepresentation of bi people. There is a lot of biphobia in my experience, and a lot of it comes down to a fear that a bisexual person might "choose" het relationships over gay relationships. The thing is, if anything is likely to lead a bi person doing so, it's definitely biphobia in queer communities they are trying to be a part of. I know it took me a lot longer to realise I'm gay than it might have otherwise simply because many lesbians rejected me on the basis of my bisexual label. It's not easy to figure out your sexual identity when the group you feel an affinity for keep telling you that you aren't valid.

So for those reasons I think it's probably an even split. There's a lot of similarity between the way aces and bis are regarded in queer communities, but aces are only recently getting the recognition they deserve so I think there's a longer road towards acceptance for them.

3. bighamster

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It’s only been a few months since I accepted and came out as bisexual and my knowledge about others who identify as bisexual was extremely limited. I soon discovered that bisexuals made up a rather large percentage of the LGBTQI+ community. Naturally I started paying much closer attention to news, information and in particular the negative ways bisexuals are often portrayed in entertainment & media. It makes me wonder whether or not this image issue is so much a matter of being misrepresented or maybe just not well understood. It took me 39 years just to understand my own bisexuality.

4. jaxyu

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think this is really well said, I agree.

5. ErickWolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think bisexuality is definitely underrepresented, as is asexuality - especially media that actually goes into depth about it. I'd also say that trans people are fairly underrepresented in media. As a trans guy, imo some of it comes across as an afterthought or as bad rep, too, in some of the instances where it's even there at all. Finding truly good trans media is a gem.

It was also really refreshing to find a good book with a bi protagonist, especially because the author did such a good job of explaining it in a way that readers who might not "get it" could likely understand. I'd have loved to have heard or read something like that when I was younger! I had to deal with annoying biphobia pretty much from the minute I said anything about it (someone quite literally said "just choose!" in this rude, irritated tone), and seeing how rampant of an issue it is even in the LGBT+ community, imo we really need more good rep.

Honestly I feel like there is also a lack of good lesbian rep, too. Even when there is rep, a lot of it seems like an afterthought. There's also not always realistic or diverse rep tbh.

#25 ErickWolf, May 23, 2021
    Last edited: May 23, 2021
  6. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This reminds me of a joke...

"I love LGBTs!! Lesbians, gays...bacon, tomato..."

Representation is more than just including the topic in media and discussion. There's been a lot more trans visibility in recent years, but still very little in the way of representation and inclusion. Bi/Pan people also tend to get swept under the rug, and are typically written or assumed via media to be straight or gay, depending on their current partners.