1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion: Have Your Say on New EC Features!

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by Hawk, Mar 26, 2021.

1. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello, Hawk and Spartan 117 here!

It's no secret that the forum and the website itself could use a big update. We're pleased to say that staff team has been working hard behind the scenes to overhaul Empty Closets and bring it into 2021! As this is something we are actively working on, we were wondering if anyone has suggestions for the website and it's features.

We'd particularly like your thoughts on the following:

• What features would you like for a new emptyclosets.com website?
    • Would you be interested in listening to an EC Podcast?
    • How do you feel about Social Media? Which do you use and what do you think would potential be a good fit for EC?

We have also been keeping track of previous suggestions that have been brought up in the past for the forum. A few things that have been brought up are:
    • Wall messaging toolbar (similar to what we have on the forums)
    • Private blog option
    • Birthday notifications
    • Live chat
    If there's anything else members would like to see added to the forums or the website - we can look into adding in the future, please suggest whatever comes to mind!

#1 Hawk, Mar 26, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2021
  2. BlueMonday

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Section where (aspiring) writers can socialize and, if they want, share their stories, poetry, etc.

3. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I will think about it and get back to you on new features

Podcast - No, I have hearing issues and cannot pick up info from audio, transcripts of podcasts do not really help either since conversations tend to be long and rambling so I give up on them. If it were like a TED talk and more organized then yes but only if there was a transcript to read like the TED talks

Social media - despise all of it and I use none. If you try social media I recommend that you have plenty of full time constant live monitoring to continuously eject trolls. Social media breeds hate way too fast.

Private blog and live chat sound good. Birthday notifications I think should be an opt in model and not automatic (both for the person being notified and the person who's birthday is being noted)

4. DecentOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Would there be an app? EC isn't working well on my tablet through the website - since November I get booted off after signing in and reading one or two posts. Maybe an app would keep connection.

I want to know if my account has been signed into by a different device, but I don't want the email to be addressed to "DecentOne". I'd prefer "Dear User" or something generic. To my knowledge no one has access to my private email, and I'm out to my family so it won't out me, but they don't know my user name and I'd like to keep it that way. Due to EC & tablet issues I'm getting these messages two or more times a day, as I sit in front of my tablet and have to keep signing in. Can the outgoing message from EC leave off the username?

I do not join social media. I can not imagine any that would fit EC. If you move anything to Facebook, for example, I will never see it. I will avoid starting to rant now.

I might listen to a podcast, but only if they have a faster speed setting. I read much quicker than people talk and don't have lots of time to listen. Transcripts are ok.

My dentist's office sends me a birthday card. I don't need a birthday feature on EC.

I like wall messaging, though I use it sparingly. I'm sorry more members don't become full members so I could private message, but that is their choice.

Private blog might be nice. I'm using my posts as a chance to look back and reflect on my progress, but I might use a private blog for more of that, a diary of sorts.

I'm not likely to use a chat feature.

5. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sorry to hear about the connectivitiy issues!

An app is something that has gotten brought up and considered often enough. While it *could* be a possibility, I believe we haven't done anything with it because it could "out" a ton of people (somebody seeing the app on your phone, parents getting a notification if their child downloaded the app etc). More hassle than just clearing your history or incognito. With the last major updated we tried to make the site more mobile friendly instead :slight_smile:.

6. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    No to social media from me. I've seen too many fantastic independent websites and messageboards go downhill, wither and eventually die because all their members gravitate onto F******* or I********.

I despise them all and the power that they wield over all of us.

And I wish to protect my privacy.

7. Lemony

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Birthday notifications yes please. Live chat yes please. Maybe like email notifications like you havent been on EC a while have a look.

8. Really

I’d just like my old blog entries back from the previous platform.

Any other feature added, I happy to pick and choose the ones I’m interested in. I don’t know if I’d listen to a podcast as I’m sooo behind on the ones I’m already subscribed to. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I listen to a lot of podcasts, most of them on high speed, and I think that the faster speed setting is available depending on the program you're using to listen rather than any decision made by the producers of the podcast. There's a few podcast platforms out there so it's something to consider, but generally you can download the episodes and listen to them however you prefer. :slight_smile:

ETA: I just thought of one myself. Could we get the capability to choose multiple pronouns rather than having to select one from a drop-down?

#9 Aspen, Apr 3, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
  10. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Agreed and also write in gender and orientation as the current ones are far too limited.

As far as the social media was having an EC specific Mastodon server being considered? I think that with the code being open source that it could be made more specific to the needs of the people here. I also think that with Mastodon other servers can be blocked, by blocking alt-right, religious-fanatic type servers it would be safer (of course no social media is safe)

11. Comrade

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Maybe you guys could make the website look more modern and edgy to attract more visitors. Also, allow people to give other people awards on their posts, and each award would give people one point. You could also full members to be able to be moderators if they apply to be one.

12. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    But not so flashy that it becomes impossible for me to use. I avoid being online much of the time because most websites are impossible for me to use. I like clean and simple because of my visual issues.

Sorry but I respectfully disagree with this. I have been on forums that have different types of awards and it led to problems.

There is already a process for that
    https://forum.emptyclosets.com/index.php?threads/staff-applications-are-now-open.484260/

13. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nobody so far has talked about a YouTube channel? Assuming we could sort out any security concerns would this be something you’d watch?

14. Lemony

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What kind of content are we talking about?

15. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would only view video if it were done the way that TED talks are done on their site. With clear and well organized content that has actual transcripts created by a person rather than autogenerated and full of continual errors. This would mean hosting the videos on ECs own servers which I do not think EC has the resources to do.

Anything hosted on google or other major corporate site are by definition insecure.

16. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is probably a too trivial problem. The right sidebar on the home page shows the latest posts. But I can't read the entire title. Ex. I see the title of this thread as: Discussion: Have Your Say on Ne...

Maybe adding a tooltip that shows the full title is a good idea? I mean by hovering over the titles, you'd see the title in full. Other threads' links have this feature on the home page. Sidebar doesn't have.

#16 Vega222, Apr 5, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  17. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Imo it's perfect the way it is.

What attracts me to this website is that it's far from facebook. (I hate it)

Also, I love the simple design here, on the contrary to more "attractive" websites (difficult to spot content imo).

18. DecentOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I with @QuietPeace on this one. I will go to well produced, tightly done videos or interviews on occasion, such as TED or TEDx talks. But if they are videos of people it becomes harder to represent diversity - animation or other methods of approaching topics visually are better for that.

Would you expect people to leave comments on videos? That means I have to sign in to that platform, and I’m less aware of having multiple sign-in identities on YouTube, so do I end up being revealed in real life?

The biggest benefit of Empty Closets for me is the active questioning-sharing-answering posts. Being able to search old posts too. I don’t associate EC with many pinned posts that could be changed into a video and have lasting value. Maybe something on writing a coming out letter? Maybe “what are the best ways to respond when your friend comes out?” Or “advice for parents”? Or another “history of LGBTQ advances” or famous people? Maybe a couple “coming out” samplers (again, not with real people, just animation)? There is so much of that stuff on YouTube anyway, posting links to ones that are good might be better.

I would think YouTube videos would look out of date more quickly. Clothing and hair styles for younger age groups change more often. Wouldn’t that be time consuming to update?

19. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Absolutely! It irks me when people feel they have to go about chasing the latest 'thing', which at the moment is podcasts and Youtube videos. For me, what is beautiful about EC is that it is about written expression - it's not part of a larger tech behemoth, it is just about the voices of ordinary LGTBQ+ people from around the world trying to help each other. It's brilliant, it's simple. Why change it?

Beth

20. Comrade

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yeah, I think you are right. If EC becomes something totally new, no one would like it at all.