1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News My Heart Bleeds for My Country

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by johndeere3020, Jan 6, 2021.

1. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Is this how it ends?

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, that is what I am thinking too. What is going to happen in the next few days? It is all crazy and really sad to see.

3. Poofter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am embarrassed, angry, and sad. This is what it’s come to. We have officially made a fool of the US. (By we I mean the events in this country since November) everyone is laughing at what was once a great nation. I have Canadian friends who are like WTAF is going on down there? It’s disheartening. And makes me wonder what I bothered serving in the military for.

4. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I prefer not to look at it as an end. It could be a way to reframe and move forward. It's sad that it would take something like what happened yesterday. It's another "never forget" moment in history to remind ourselves that we can't let our guard down.

The people who stormed into the capitol are extremists. They make for a bad picture of what they stand for. Look how many people just jumped ship from the administration and had harsh words on their way out.

People whose heads are screwed on straight wouldn't resort to terrorism and wouldn't allow a mentally ill president to sell them on any ideologies or anything. I don't understand these people to begin with. I feel that all of this needs to be analyzed carefully so we can understand why it happened. How do these people feel connected to a billionaire? The populism act is just for show. Always has been.

I woke up in a decent mood yesterday and went to bed in a terrible mood.

5. Loves books

I’m not American but even the Irish news covered what happened. I’ve no clue how they got a reporter there but they covered the story. In my personal opinion the whole country went downhill when Trump ran for president. He had the slogan make America great again and then proceeded to make it worse. He’s lost control and people can’t accept that. They probably believed he would actually win again.. If he had never won in the first place there wouldn’t be these problems now.

6. Phoenix92

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In regards to the insurrection on January 6, 2021:
    18 U.S. Code § 2383 - Rebellion or insurrection
    Whoever incites, sets on foot, assists, or engages in any rebellion or insurrection against the authority of the United States or the laws thereof, or gives aid or comfort thereto, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

18 U.S. Code § 2384 - Seditious conspiracy
    If two or more persons in any State or Territory, or in any place subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, conspire to overthrow, put down, or to destroy by force the Government of the United States, or to levy war against them, or to oppose by force the authority thereof, or by force to prevent, hinder, or delay the execution of any law of the United States, or by force to seize, take, or possess any property of the United States contrary to the authority thereof, they shall each be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than twenty years, or both.

Forgive me if I’m wrong, but don’t the actions undertaken by both Donald John Trump and the Rioters fit both of these laws?

7. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Let's not beat about the bush: what happened on Wednesday was fascism - far right violence whipped up by a would-be dictator.

The good news is that despite everything Trump has thrown at it - despite the law suits, the lies, the gas-lighting and all the enablers in the Republican party - it hasn't worked. American democracy has strong two century-old roots, sturdy and deeply embedded enough to withstand everything this vile man has tried. It's usually where there is not enough of a democratic tradition that fascist/ populist dictators are able to take over, see Russia since 2000 and, of course, the Weimar Republic.

The question is what happens next. I'm already tired of all this rhetoric of 'bringing the country together' yadda yadda. No - Trump is a danger to American democracy and there is already enough on his track record to land him behind bars. If the Biden administration has any sense it will make this one of its urgent priorities.

8. Poofter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A president will never put another president in prison. That’s why trump didn’t put Hillary there. Why Nixon didn’t go. Ect. All that will happen is he will be out. And president elect Biden will be in. That’s it.

9. DecentOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Interesting to see the harsh treatment of anyone nearby during the Trump Inauguration Day protests four years ago, compared to the police pushing people away but not identifying and charging everyone nearby this time around. Here is a 2017 article, showing how many felony charges were leveled against peaceful protestors during the start of the “law and order” presidency.
    https://archive.thinkprogress.org/f...han-200-inauguration-protesters-92e3154a8fd1/

10. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It seems the "law and order" thing went out the window when they did not get what they think they deserve. It is crazy to see how differently this was treated that the peaceful protest. I'm curious to see if any charges get brought as people are identified. There was a page by the FBI for identifying the people involved. I'm interested to see if any action is taken from those tips though.

11. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The election was close. But Biden won. Many presidential elections have been close, and not exactly landslides.

I am stunned that about 75 million Americans voted for this guy. I am not saying that because he's a Republican because there are some good Republican leaders. I am saying it because it's Donald Trump. He is a lawless renegade. Lawless renegades stormed the capitol. Maybe that's because lawless renegades in America know they'll never have one of their own kind in the White House again.

12. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm reeling more and more about this. That's because more news is coming in and keeps coming in. Add to that photos.

I know Pence is probably not well thought of on EC. I'm not crazy about him. He has decided to attend the inauguration and he did not support overturning the election even though Trump went berserk on him. I don't know what kind of job he did as governor in his home state. He probably wants this to be over so he can get back to his home state and away from this mess or start planning his own future political trail.

When we look back at the 2016 election, Pence distanced himself from Trump when Trump's comment about grabbing (a woman's private area) surfaced. He was shocked.

I am not defending Pence. I feel he has just shown that he knows how to handle himself better in DC than Trump does.

13. Phoenix92

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This election really wasn’t that close. The 2016 election was closer, electoral votes wise.
    In 2016, Trump got 304 to Hillary’s 232. In 2020, Trump only got 230 in comparison to Biden’s 306.
    If we’re talking pure vote wise:
    Biden earned 81,281,502 votes compared to Trumps 74,222,593. That’s a vote difference of over 7 million, not that close.
    Percentage wise, Biden won 52.22% of the vote.
    There have been 5 other elections that have been closer. Just out of the 58 total elections we’ve had, that’s 8.6%. Not when you consider that when John Quincy Adams won he only got 32.18% of the Electoral vote(granted that election was a four way election, but still).
    And don’t forget, Trump lost the popular vote in 2016, despite carrying the Electoral Vote. That’s happened 5 times. 5 out of a then total of 57, then 8.7% of the elections.

When you get down to it, this election really wasn’t that close, not wh

14. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You make some good points.

I should have said it was close where it was critical. Swing states. New blue states.

In Massachusetts or California, many more people could have voted Biden and it wouldn't have changed the electoral votes. In Wisconsin, Georgia, Arizona, and a few others places, it was fairly close. Those states made the difference. It was close because some of these states have been getting bluer only recently.

I think Trump's numbers might have been higher in Florida this time than they were last time. Because he made it his residence? When they started counting, it looked more even. As the night went on it really swung Trump. The same happened in Texas when it started reporting.

What happened Wednesday made the U.S. look bad all over the world. I read about the police officer in the capitol who died trying to fight off the rioters. Some key people at the top have blood on their hands. I'm not the only one who thinks so.

15. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was just reading a report that the Trumpanzees at the riot left urine and feces strewn throughout the building, which is perfect symbolism for what the man they worship has spent the last four years doing.

16. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Indeed. I am so glad I voted for Biden and I’m super fucking glad he won. I think we should still go through with the impeachment so Trump can never run again.

17. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you are a liberal minded person, stay true to your core values and cooperate well with your allies to bring about positive change in the coming years. There may never be a greater opportunity as your conservative rivals divide and become more factional. Many Republicans are now attempting to distance themselves from Trump as his ship goes down, but one thing is certain, he will take many supporters with him and severely weaken the conservative base. The GOP allowed an egotistical narcissist to stand as their candidate and they will ultimately pay the price as he carves up their base. Don't be surprised if you see the launch of the Trump Party very soon.

If liberal America remains united there is much to gain in the aftermath of Trump's chaotic presidency.

18. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The Trump Party hopefully will go down like the Boston Tea Party. He's going to be 75 this year. How much mileage does he have left? I forgot. He's gone those detestable kids who can't stay out of the limelight.

I am SMH about a few things and have been for several years. Why him? There were lots of Republicans to choose from who might have made the last 4 years more "normal." I can't find a good word for it. Was it that they were too boring? Did he just have way more money to throw at his campaign? The Trump crazed people wouldn't be rioting and acting like this if one of the other GOP guys had been president. Trump used to be a Democrat, I believe. These other boring GOP guys have been life long Republicans.

Another thing is the religious right. It makes no sense that they back him the way they do. No sense. He's a pervert. He think he said he would date his own daughter. Plain weird comment to make. They wouldn't fuss over another lifelong Republican who probably goes to church regularly. Why not?

None of it - how cultish it has turned - makes much sense. I think these people have IQs higher than 70. Anyone who can think can see he's a lunatic. It has been frightening.

19. Poofter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Funny Howard Stern also referred to it as a cult, also said initially it was a joke but then it gained traction. Scary what a little fame and a big mouth will get you.

20. Phoenix92

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Seeing as this thread is about the insurrection in DC on the 6th of January, 2021; I have something of an open letter to the Conservatives of the USA:

For weeks you’ve rallied under the falsehoods of a stolen rigged election. Ever since the election was called for Joseph Robinette Biden Junior, you’ve rallied to try and overturn the Democratic Process. You make the claim that the 7,059,741 more votes that Mr. Biden received are somehow fraudulent. You do realise that number is larger than 128 nations on the planet? Before you tell me that can’t be possible, not only was 2020 an election year, but it was also the year of a Census. The last one was in 2010, so of course the numbers aren’t going to be the same, you can’t use old data to try and justify your false claims.
    The election was run fairly and the votes were counted fairly. If a vote wasn’t counted, it was because there was something wrong with the ballot, either because it wasn’t certified correctly, mailed correctly, or packaged correctly if it was a mail in ballot; or if it was an early vote or same day vote and was rejected it would’ve been for something as simple as extra marks on the ballot. Yes, a ballot can be, and will be thrown out if it doesn’t meet certain parameters. Votes on both sides, Republican or Democrat, get thrown out all the time. It’s just a fact of voting.
    For weeks you’ve listened to what Donald John Trump has been saying, despite Mass Media, again both Conservative and Liberal News Sources, have been saying about the fair and legal election of Joseph Robinette Biden Junior. For months you’ve rallied under a false flag doctrine of a stolen election. It’s been made worse and worse by Donald John Trumps refusal to concede the election. He has never been in any situation where he’s not been able to buy his way to victory. His refusal to concede has been a boiling point and has been the driving force behind your movements.
    These movements that steadily grew in number and force, ultimately resulting in the insurrection of January 6, 2021, just 15 days before the inauguration of Joseph Robinette Biden Junior. Five people died as a result of the storming of the Capitol Building. Four members of the Insurrection, one police officer. Five people whose lives were cut short because you couldn’t accept the results of the fair election of November 3, 2020. Their blood is on your hands, plain and simple. Because of your actions, they are dead. My sympathies to the parents and siblings of the deceased. This is coming purely from a place of someone who has lost a sibling, and has seen what the loss of a child can do to a family, nothing else.
    But I digress, let’s take a look at something that happened during the
    2021 storming of the United States Capitol:
    The battle flag of the Confederate States of America, a failed nation, a nation of Secessionists, flew within the Capitol Building of the United States. Something that didn’t even happen during the American Civil War of 1861-65.
    A gallows was erected on the lawn of the Capitol Building. I don’t think that even happened during the Civil Rights Movement of the 1960s.
    Desecration of the Capitol Building, smearing of blood(and possibly other bodily fluids) in Statuary Hall.
    Donald Trump incited this insurrection, and then didn’t even call, Micheal Richard Pence, his second in command, to make sure he(Pence) was safe. The Presidential Chain of Command could’ve lost two of the three top people in it, all because of the actions at the top. This has never happened in the history of the USA.

Now, imagine for a moment that things were reversed. Imagine that you had somehow won the election and the Democrats did this. You’d be screaming at them to “Grow up”, to “Just accept the results.” You’d be saying things like “If you don’t like it, you can leave,” or “He’s your president whether you like it or not.” But you did say these things, back in 2016. You said those things after Donald John Trump won the electoral votes, 303 to 223, despite losing the Popular Vote. You said those things, because the majority of the nation did not vote for Trump, yet he still won the election. And yes I was upset, but the fact of the matter is this, for the past 4 years he was the President of the United States of America. But the people spoke, and 81 Million people said “we want him out”. 7 million more than who said “we want him for four more years.” It’s over. The election was certified by Congress in the early hours of January 7, 2021. In favour of Joe Biden. The election was certified by Congress, who were probably more unified in their duties then since the events of September 11th, 2001. That makes two dates, in my lifetime, where politics have been mostly put aside because the American People needed to see a strong and unified Congress. I was still really young that first date, so I didn’t quite understand the gravity of the situation, not so this time. This time I understood that message, “We, the People, need to come together.” Come together we must, before things devolve any further.
    I implore you, don’t let it devolve to war, no one will win in that. Regardless of who claims victory, there will be no “winner” in a war that would no doubt split states, split cities and towns, split families. No one will win if it devolves into war.

I thank you for your time.