1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to cope with instability in your country

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Vega222, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi,

I am sick and tired of instability. These days it is worse than ever. Every night and day I expect to hear big sudden news. Prices are getting higher day by day. I feel we're literally hostages to some cavemen and there is no safety and security. It is too much for me. I can't make a plan even for the next month. Because nothing is stable here.

Just wanted to know what are your thoughts? Is there anyone who have had such experiences? It's not about personal life's problems but general problems in the country. It's like being in a war here.

Because I'm not able to do my daily works. I mean it's so overwhelming and disturbs my mind.

#1 Vega222, Oct 17, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  2. Ride2Relax

Things are not as bad around here.. but I lost my job thanks to COVID, and there is nothing available.. and probably won't be for quite some time. And the government is just making an even worst mess than what it already is.

Can't offer any advice, but you're not the only one with nothing to do and no good outlook...

3. Sparky2002

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Things are pretty crazy here. I'm not sure if other countries even think America is so great, I know Trump says so, but you can't trust anything he says. It doesn't really feel like a war, but there are so many cases and my high school is full of plexiglass and both my parents don't have jobs now. The thing is, they are both writers, which is considered self-employed, so they didn't get a stimulus check and I'm starting to seriously worry about college. As for the government, every day there are new crazy things that Donald Trump did that just make everything so much worse and he still doesn't make masks inside mandatory, despite 70,000 cases per day. He says a vaccine will be availible within "weeks" which is completely untrue and I agree, no good outlook. Good luck getting through COVID.

4. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    At least you have the opportunity to kick Trump out next week!

Over here we were given a ridiculous referendum in 2016 which nobody really wanted but which has led to a deep social, cultural and generational division in our country, the worst foreign policy decision in the whole of British history and in all probability the end of the UK itself (and oh yes the end of peace in Northern Ireland as an added bonus!)

And yet we are not allowed to change our minds because it is 'the will of the people' (copyright various right wing tabloids/Conservative politicians).

Britain as a country is utterly f*****. And will be for decades to come because of Brexit.

Beth

5. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The same is true of the USA now due to the hypocritical confirmation of a Supreme Court Justice.

Also, the OP is not in the USA and does not have options.

#5 QuietPeace, Oct 28, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  6. musicals

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My father and brother always told me that the key to maintaining your sanity during troubled times is to Stop looking at the news because the 24 hour news cycle is desighned to create stress/panic and divide public opinion. Especially the partisan news, which often has a political bias and seeks to push propaganda and "us vs them" narratives, which can make things seem more worse than they actually are. This is doubly true for wartime and political instability , when everyone would want to make sure that their 'side' is on the 'correct side'.

Though my father and brother were giving advise about stuff that happened in the 1990s, i'd say that it still holds true today. Maybe doubly true today because of social media apps nowadays, where the '24-hours news cycle' is beamed into the palm of your hand, at all times of the day, and propagandists run free to create divided 'fake news'/alternative facts' ideas and narratives (see: Q anon, trolling, twitter bots, etc).

I can't give a lot of other advise because i was a baby/child/not yet born when i lived through the my country's conflict. But the best thing you can do, i think, is leaving the country (if you can). Even if only temporarily. Get out of the mentally unhealthily environment is good for sanity in the long term.

Although im not sure how well leaving would work for most people, because after leaving, my father and brother became unhinged, hyper-nationalistic, xenophopic, super-patriots, religious fanatics, and have made their national heritage their entire personality. I, on the other hand, consider myself to be (relatively) normal. So, your mileage may vary. Also i know that leaving their country is not an option for everyone (not having enough money, etc). And in some cases, leaving may make your situation more worse (for example, you may stress yourself out worrying about freinds and family left behind, etc). But, if it stresses you so much to live there, then get out of the country might be your best bet.

Lucy Marie and Vega222 like this.
  7. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Our money would be given to terrorist groups all around the region and the world or would be spend for killing us. So, I thank Trump for the sanctions. As South Africans had supported sanctions against the Apartheid regime, I think most Iranian people support the sanctions too. South Africans used to say "freedom is more important than food" or something like that.

Just wanted to say, Many people even support military invasion.
    I don't know who should I blame, But the world think our government is a normal government and they differentiate these mullahs from ISIS.
    Anyway, My country isn't that important in the world. So, Don't expect anyone to know that things.
    Thanks for the response.

#7 Vega222, Oct 28, 2020
    musicals likes this.
  8. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks. Actually, That's the point. News and tweets are my problem. I can't stay away from them these days.
    I think this is different than other normal countries. It's not like these party against that party. If we had even a normal dictatorship, It was fine. But it is we the people against ISIS. Still, I would do as you said if I could. I always try to stay completely out of these news and tweet thing. These few weeks I was unable to do that. But I agree that I must do that. What is good in reading the stuff? I don't even write anything. Reading news/tweets hurt me too much. It's worse than hard-drug.

I'd be happy to live in any mediocre place out of the country. But it hasn't been doable for many years and still it's not. Older generations at least could emigrate to the west easily. They had that option. Good god! We the younger generations even can't flee from our own land.

#8 Vega222, Oct 28, 2020
  9. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My VPNs are barely working these days. I feel I am strangled without the Internet.

10. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I can tell you that I think America is the heaven of the earth. It is the greatest nation in history by far.
    Well I'd choose the British Empire, But I am biased. :slight_smile:)

I know many Americas oppose that and think they have a terrible country. But I just said my opinion.

11. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Do not believe what you see on TV, many people are sleeping on the streets there. I have been homeless there and I felt the need to escape. If I get sent back I plan on dying as fast as possible.

gravechild likes this.
  12. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am sorry for your trouble.
    It is what I think. I didn't say it's the truth.
    But just look at the world. I don't see Americans flee too my country or the region. I see millions of people want badly to flee to America.

Also I know there are people living on the streets or bad things happen there. I didn't say it's all good.
    What you said about TV is funny, Because they always try to show America as a bad/poor country here on TV. They say death to America and send their children to America. They tweet against America via iPhone.

#12 Vega222, Oct 28, 2020
  13. musicals

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Start by stopping looking at the national news or the government news, only look at the local news from your city or town. I find that there's less politics in local news. And do the same for twitter, stop looking at the national tweets or the political tweets in general, or at the very least, stay away from the 'trending' page.

Yes, i kind of know what it's like. My country went through some similar thing. Neighboring country forms aggressive terrorist group, merges it with government, then begins hegemony, war, and violents. Outsiders want to destroy the nation and put many money into annexation and invasion. No party bullshit , just multiple 'us vs them', 'goverment vs civilians', etc

My brother told me once that sometimes when it feels hopeless it's better to just disconnect from the situation altogether, spend time with freinds and family, go outside, read a book or play a video-game, anything that keeps your mind off the 'looming doom'. Sometimes, its the only thing you can do, unfortunately, "lay back and watch the world burn" :frowning2:

Possibly off topic, but in my opinion whether you like America or not depends on where you are from and what America has done to your country. In my country, America is seen as some type of "god country", 'heroes', and 'legendary' country. Most people are hardcore America fanatics and see America as best nation in all world. Because without America intervention during the wars, the people and the nation would have been completely toasted.

But, I have a friend from Tunisia who loathes America and thinks that America is an troublemaking terrorist country of destruction, because of the American imperialists invading and destablizing the middle east/north africa, the support for Isreal, attempts to mess up the goverment, and so on.

And then there's the people who are from the 'first-world' who see America as a low-tier country due to the issues that are uniquely American such as lack of healthcares, police brutality, etc. That stuff doesn't happen in other first world nations such as Canada, UK, etc.

It's all a matter of personal opinion and i guess i don't see the point in fighting over whether America is objectively 'good' or 'bad' because we all come from different countries who have had different experiences with them, just my two cents.

#13 musicals, Oct 28, 2020
  14. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am FROM the USA.

15. musicals

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry, i misread it.

Also, I was speaking more in general. The part where i mentioned "And then there's the people who are from the 'first-world' who see America as a low-tier country due to the issues that are uniquely American such as lack of healthcares, police brutality, etc." applies to Americans who hate their own country too.

#15 musicals, Oct 28, 2020
  16. SilentM

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In my country we are heading towards hardcore with massive protests and increasing violence.

17. LetsGoNow

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well this is going to sound harsh, but I only say this because I had a very harsh life and its getting worse. I'm only surviving now due to support from my parents, financially speaking. Otherwise, I would have been homeless.

Anyway, think of yourself as a prey animal such as a baby antelope. There is danger all around, everyday. No two days are the same. One day you will be chased by a lion and escape. The other day, there are no lions! You accept that, embrace that and try to survive, even if the odds are against you!

That is what I do. I imagine myself as an animal and try to understand the amount of crap they have to deal with on a daily basis. If they can just can on with life, so can I!

Okay lame advice, but this works for me. I just cope by adopting the survival of the fittest attitude. Use all your resources, BRAIN POWER, cunning, strength, wit to achieve X Y Z! It's YOU VS THE WORLD BABY!

That is how I cope. I sometimes feel like an evil genius when applying for a job, I'm like if I use this word instead of THAT WORD, I WILL GET AN INTERVIEW, MWAHAHAHAHAHAH. :imp: :smiling_imp::joy::laughing:

Yeah I've gone mad.

18. Ride2Relax

I know we're going off topic here - but anyway. Yeah, I agree the USA is FAR from perfect... but still better that a lot of other countries. Btw, I need to fill my green card lottery application... Now if you can get me a good job in Canada, or Europe, I wouldn't mind either :wink:

And back on topic: I actually blocked pretty much all news outlets from FB from way before COVID. It's always bad news anyway... and if something really important happens I'll find out sooner or later.

19. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I went further, I have deleted all social media. I occasionally read news deliberately but if something starts to upset me (like all news about USA, war, violence etc) I stop at the headline.

20. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am from Europe living in the US and I am struggling A LOT with this. I find living here unbearable at times, specifically since Covid and has a queer POC my quality of life has drastically taken a hit by moving to the US (though being queer where I am at was GREAT until Covid hit!). I find the reality of life in the US under the current regime so hard to cope with, racial tensions are everywhere and getting worse by the minute, the Covid situation is an absolute shit-show the lack of social program and universal healthcare means this country is filled with people who need help and are instead left to die (literally for some) and fend for themselves, people see guns as the cure to mental illnesses rather than therapy. The reality of life in the US can be so depressing when you come from Europe that I am currently struggling to cope with it right now as after 9 months in quarantine, my mental health is also starting to crumble. So no advice. Here I am taking it a day at a time but I almost feel anyone who lives in the US ends up with PTSD (I definitely feel like I have some sort of PTSD from living here and I only wished I was kidding).

The US has its good sides but Covid has really shown and exposed the darkest sides of this country and how divided the country actually is on everything and it’s incredibly draining to both witness and live through.

Sparky2002 and gravechild like this.