1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How religion affects your daily life?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Vega222, Oct 7, 2020.

1. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As a practicing Hindu guy, raised in an orthodox household, I have mixed opinions on what religion is and how far it defines us. While I was raised in a large joint family (with lots of cousins, aunts, uncles and grand-uncles and grand-aunts with my grandfather as the patriarch) we were allowed to have our little reign of freedom within the orthodoxy. As long as we participated in the large rituals with the family, bent our heads before god (the statues and idols) and respected the traditions, the older people in the family didn't particularly mind or care that we, the younger children didn't know to read the holy scriptures or say the holy verses (In Sanskrit).

My family moved to the US for 5 years, where we lot touch with most of the orthodoxy, though my parents made sure we knew a few holy verses, prayed for a minimum of 5 minutes everyday in the morning and celebrated all the major Hindu festivals.

I lost touch with religion out of anger, against god for not helping me and helping my parents see reason when I was 17, after going through a lot. I stopped praying, grudgingly partook in festival rituals and hardly visited temples for years. Until I got back into praying, when it helped heal and helped me accept what I am, who I am.

So I gave up on religion, but found it again. I still practice rituals, but on my own terms and my parents know and agree with it. They don't question what I pray for, what I ask god for and why. So, spiritually, I'm in a happy place.

2. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I see. So, You've lived in a mostly secular place and have had a different experience.
    I started to leave religion and god when I was 17 and when I just got access to the Internet. Since then I can't pray. It was difficult for a few years because it was shocking for me. I wasn't prepared for that at all.

But after a few years I felt totally comfortable with it. I lived as an atheist for several years. Now again, I found some attractions in religion recently, especially Christianity. I like it as a culture. I love Church architecture and their music, etc. And I like Zoroastrianism as our national religion as opposed to Islam. I guess you've heard about Zoroastrianism. But my feelings are some kind of respect and I don't have faith of course. I am technically Atheist but don't like to use that label.

So, Again, since I was 17 I have never been able to pray and still I'm not. Not that I want to do it. I don't feel bad without religion. But even if I wanted to pray, I don't think I could.

#42 Vega222, Oct 16, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  3. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    @Vega222 Yes. I've had the pleasure (and dare I say, Luxury) of living in a city and region of India, which is very secular. I studied in a school, where all religions were accepted, which meant I was exposed to Islam, Buddhism, Christianity, Sikhism and Zoroastrianism in High School. Yes, I've heard of Zoroastrianism, though I'm afraid I didn't know a lot about it. In India, we call the sect of people who follow that religion 'Parsis'. I read a lot about the religion later on in life.

I totally understand and respect those people who don't let religion consume their life. I respect and don't have a problem with people who do, as I agree that everyone have the right to live life the way they want. So I understand what you mean by 'technically being an atheist'. I feel more and more people should have the luxury of picking and choosing what they like from different religions and following that if they want to. :slight_smile:

4. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is very hard for many people because of one major thing - we usually know what our religion is - not necessarily by our choosing - BEFORE we become sexually aware young adults.

That can cause a lot of conflict with a lot of what religion has taught us. Those identities are usually at odds with each other.

5. Vesta

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Religion doesn't really affect me in any way. The only time it does, is when I have a client at the gym who may have religious nutritional requirements such as only eating halal or must dress in a certain way. Those sorts of things can easily be worked around, however.

6. Lucy Marie

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My initial thought is religion vs faith. Religion can be manipulated by men for their own purposes, but faith is between a person and God (or any of His other names).
    I try to live my life as Jesus told us to. Follow the Greatest Commandment.
    It infuriates me when a person decides how God feels. Let’s use the issue here on this website. So so so many believers say being gay is sin. Where did He say that? His Commandment was to LOVE not to judge.
    Gaga’s best is all about Capital HIM. No mistakes. If someone has used God to make you feel less—please, please know it reflects on them not on God or you. I believe in Him, I try to live as He commanded, and I believe only He can judge.
    Just, understand not all the faithful hate. We love as He loved.(we try)
    ((momhugs))

7. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Nice.

8. SilentM

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, a few days ago abortion was banned in my country and infuriated people are flooding the streets and vandalizing churches.

I think that religion is a lot like drugs or booze, it can be fun, it can be help but if you overdo it is a horror and this is what is happening here.

9. LetsGoNow

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard the upper/middle/urban folks are less supportive of the religion whilst the working class and those living in rural areas are more supportive?

10. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The problem remains! It's far beyond what I called unbearable before and it makes me literally crazy.
    Yet, I can't speak to him. Even though my mother encouraged me to do so. See? My religious mother is on my side!
    Still I can't do it because I am too angry at him and can't speak with him in a positive friendly way. Delaying this makes me more crazy and my anger more out of control! A catch-22 situation.

I even considered attacking his beliefs. Such a thing is usually not an option. But I am losing my control.

11. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think you are referring to organized religion of any denomination. Then, yes, in the U.S., what you say is more true than not. There are exceptions to this because there are very devout people in big cities and atheists in rural areas too.