1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are your beliefs worth anything if your not willing to die for them?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by dano218, Oct 1, 2020.

1. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This question comes to mind given the current political situation we are in and though it’s a hard question to think about.

Given all of my personal life experiences I believe I would of course it’s hard to imagine getting to that point where you face danger if you stand up to your beliefs in the US specifically. I am aware in many parts of the world this still a reality as well.

2. jessie19

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    As in my signature, i know for me my file works like this, "Who I am is where i stand, and where i stand is where i fall"

3. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it’s an interesting question, and it’s pretty broad. I think my answer to the question is: yes, they are still worth something.

Take, for example, an LGBT person in a country where being LGBT is illegal and their life would be in danger if people knew about their sexuality or gender identity. They might believe in equality for LGBT people, but I really don’t think we can judge them for not putting their life in danger for that cause. That doesn’t mean their beliefs aren’t real or valid.

However, if you are in a country and notice injustice or the stripping away of freedoms then a lot of people feel like they have a moral obligation to speak up. I definitely understand and sympathise with that. But life is precious, and I don’t think I’d ever tell anyone that they should give their own life for a cause.

4. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm frankly more interested in what people are willing to live for than what they are willing to die for.

5. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It’s a complicated question for sure. I think it depends on each individual experiences and I guess I come from the standpoint of I got this far in life and not being able to fathom having to go back to a place where I have to not be who i am would make me stand up for what I believe in regardless of the potential consequences.

6. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Of course I would be more interested in that but what If conservatives takes us back to a place where we have no rights and being who we are and the life we are living is at risk. I have a lot of hope but it’s comes from the point I never take what I have for granted.

7. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If that's what we're discussing then I suppose I agree. I've been out for almost thirty years, my entire adult life. I don't think you can put that cat back in the bag. I don't have anyone else to be.

8. BlueMonday

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't believe in anything, tbh.

9. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There was a time when I might have agreed with this standpoint. Then someone tried to beat me to death because he discovered my birth assignment and then other hate crimes ensued. This led to me severely curtailing who I shared what with.

10. LetsGoNow

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't think my beliefs are that deep. I will probably pretend to believe something else so I don't get murdered.

11. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I guarantee you will be able to do more for your beliefs alive than dead.

12. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is no belief worth dying for, because if you die for one then you prevent yourself from believing in all future ones. You're essentially destroying all future good you could do in support of one belief that's apparently hopeless anyway since it caused you to die.

13. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree. I am somewhat impressed by people who died for a cause and have an admiration for them. In the course of history, some people have been put in really difficult life and death situations where life would have meant they sold out and would have run into a lot more negative things in their lives. I am going to say that this is the exception rather than the rule. As for myself, I have never identified a belief or a cause that I would be willing to die for. I might definitely fight for something but try to do in a way that makes a mark but also keeps me out of harm's way.

14. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The ones I really don't understand are the random suicide protests. Like when monks light themselves on fire or people go on hunger strikes. Like...am I...supposed to care? I don't see how someone lighting themselves on fire or not eating is supposed to somehow change opinions or help their case. It just makes them look insane.

15. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I believe strongly in equality for all races, genders, orientations, etc. But I'm not going to die for them. I honestly don't see the point. I mean, I don't need to die for them; surely it's more effective to live on and vote and write and share your beliefs than to just die.
    Risking my life, like by going to a protest, maybe, depending on the likelihood of getting hurt.

16. meltyblood

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    i dont think someones beliefs are worth less than another if theyre not willing to die for them, thats kinda a weird measurement of "worth"

though my existence already kind of puts me in danger to due my circumstances and where i live. not life-threatening, but still... its something thats always in the back of my head.