1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What’s your unpopular opinion?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Andrew99, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When something in pop psychology is going around, people question whether they fall into that or not. I have some issues with vanity about grooming, appearance, and that stuff. I asked a therapist if I had narcissistic tendencies. He explained there's a lot more to it than that. He basically said no. The word came because someone in ancient mythology kept looking at his reflection in a pond, fell in, and drowned.

You realize this later and after you're done with them. I see this in some people I know who became school teachers and were not smart and are not smart. You can sometimes find videos of newer school teachers in tough districts who were recent hires and get into brawls with their teenage students. Then they're not teachers anymore. Surprise.

2. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Jaffa cakes are biscuits. Not cakes. You can't convince me otherwise.

I think you're referring to Narcissus. Greek mythology.

I've had the same opinion throughout the vast majority of my time at school. Most of my educators were terrible, but every once in a while someone good would come along. I think that one of the strangest parts of adjusting to adulthood, for me, has been getting used to the fact that many of the traits I was berated for by my educators, I am now praised for. There are good educators out there, but I think that a significant portion get into the job for the wrong reasons and / or lose motivation for what they originally set out to do.

3. musicteach

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Education is full of wackos. Can confirm am teacher.

My unpopular opinion? Just because you hear music on the radio or it’s been published does NOT make it good. Not does it make it education worthy.

4. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It’s technically a cake though, isn’t it? Something to do with VAT on biscuits covered in chocolate. You’d have to pay VAT if they were a biscuit.

#144 LostInDaydreams, Sep 18, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  5. DecentOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I liked Adric on Dr. Who back in the 80’s

6. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Some of the good ones have stayed with me, in how I think and view things. There have been some bad ones and they can and have scarred some people. Most of them were not that memorable. The only thing I might remember about them is how they smelled when they crouched down by your desk to help you after smoking a cigarette and drinking cheap stale coffee.

7. musicteach

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly? One of my biggest things I want to accomplish as a teacher is I want my students to remember me. I want to be a positive influence in their lives when they think about they remember some good times from music. It brings me great joy when a student sends me a card or an email. I love it when students reach out to me and will say stuff like I was looking at a class picture and there you were acting crazy in the background (it’s become tradition the band photobombs senior class pictures).

This is from a student that was a junior my first year teaching:
    ”Hey Mr. M! I was flipping through my year book from senior year and I came across our senior class picture. I guess I didn’t look before, but I noticed that while we were getting our picture taken, the band was in full march behind us. We heard you, of course, but I guess I didn’t realize you guys would actually be in the picture. Anyways do you remember this? [pasted a picture of me wearing a bright blue cape, shorts, and a crazy silver/blue wig] Maybe it was Spirit week or something, but you looked so goofy! I remember you conducting the band that night at a home football game, still wearing a blue cape, shorts, and a bright blue and silver wig. There was a moment of silence on the field for a student that had been killed before the band played the national anthem and all I can remember was you standing on the podium. Arms down baton-less, per the norm. The blue cape just flapping in the breeze. It was a serious moment, and you were serious and had a serious air about you. But it was impossible to take you serious on that podium that faithful October night.

This particular football game, the opposing team’s band had come to the game. The seriousness of the moment was palpable in the cool October breeze. Our band standing at attention on the field, their band already seated behind us in their stands. And you are, standing on the podium and blue cap flying just as proud as you please. What a sight you were to behold. Then you brought your hands up, and the band was ready to play. You looked ridiculous conducting the National anthem with your cape in the breeze. But it didn’t matter. You were into the spirit of it, you were always bold And didn’t care who knew it.

I’m a band director, now, back home in Georgia. And I think about the times we had in band often. Now having been in your shoes, I realize what a monumental challenge you had when you assumed our band director role. Because I now find myself facing the same dilemma. This is my first year teaching, and it’s crazy the amount of loyalty this band feels towards their previous director. There’s times I feel like a failure because they won’t give me the time of the day. And I oft wonder how you dealt with it. Eventually we came to love you and realized that you were crazy, tough, and mean as rusty nails but you believed in us. You set a standard and you held us to it. You forced us to grow to it.

Maybe one day I can live up to your shadow.”

#147 musicteach, Sep 18, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  8. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Most of them seemed to be processing the students. Let me push through another class. Like that. Some were incompetent. Others were good because they were connected to what they were teaching and related to students as individuals instead of their measure of what the student should be like to fit in well with them.

The ones that I liked usually liked me. There were a couple of teachers and professors where I liked the subject and respected them for helping me learn about the subject, and learn it well. A few of them were in college, were not approachable, and there was one who was very talented but also a curmudgeon. It looked like he had a drinking problem. I've sent cards in the past to teachers when I've gone places and I believe most of them appreciated the gesture. I don't think this one did. He probably was coming at it from the frame of mind that sending cards is not masculine. I've had friends who seemed to have this idea, too. My parents sent cards. Even a man who worked for the utilities who came to our house to check on something broken when I was young sent our family a card. He was going to a national park for a vacation with his family the next day and was excited to tell us about it after he finished up the job. He sent us a card from the national park. How often does that happen? It said something really good about that person and it goes through my mind every now and then.

#148 Tightrope, Sep 20, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  9. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Pumpkin spice is overrated.

10. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yep. And it doesn’t even taste good.

11. Hemant

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Why does popularity is so much weighted over actual righteousness? Popularity generally overrides righteousness or intellect.

12. LetsGoNow

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I believe most people are evil.

13. Hypernova

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is that unpopular? I think most people would agree.

14. anonmember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am probably one of the few Trump supporters on here. I am voting for him this year.

15. Hypernova

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, at least you're honest that it's not popular.

16. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think the idea behind it is not popular but it is mostly true. The people who enjoy this privilege will be in denial and tell you that you don't know what you're talking about. The majority will agree with you.

I know a lot of people who look at it this way. I don't know if I do to that extreme but I'll go "glass half empty" on the human race.

My unpopular opinion is that some people look better as they get older. Some.

17. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree. Some people look better with white/grey hair as well.

Jamie lee Curtis does in my opinion.
    upload_2020-9-22_14-52-53.jpeg

18. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In theory, yes. That's why it's a controversial take. But in practice, I disagree. We treat them like biscuits and they are typically in the biscuit section (depending on where you shop, but in the vast majority of shops I've been in them stack them under biscuits and usually under a shorthand code for biscuits on receipts). Looks like a biscuit, is eaten like a biscuit, and is sold among biscuits. Might as well be one. In my eyes, the Jaffa cake will always be a loophole and nothing more. Some shops sell their cakes in the same section as their biscuits, but not in the ones I usually go in. I mean, in theory GIF is supposed to be said "Jif" but in practice I'm always going to pronounce it with a hard G because it's GRAPHICS not JRAPHICS. Personally, I tend to believe that what matters most when defining things is popular usage rather than technicalities.

#158 Canterpiece, Sep 22, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  19. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The NYC subway is horrible and an absolute embarrassment to such a large city. Surely they should take a bit more pride in their public transport than that? Contrast that to London or any of the European ones (even the one circle line we have in Glasgow makes for a far nicer journey!)

20. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I see your point, but I’m not convinced. I won’t be dunking any Jaffa Cakes in my tea.

:grin: