1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Same-sex dance couples on UK TV this year...

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Joe2001, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Just saw this and thought it would be interesting to share.
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/12048952/strictly-line-up-female-male-same-sex-pairings/

This show is the UK version of Dancing with the Stars. The theme is ballroom and latin dancing, a celebrity pairs up with a professional dancer of the opposite gender to learn the ballroom and latin dances. It's always been mixed sex couples until now but this year, they are considering mixing things up and having not one but two same-sex couples. One female duo and one male duo.

Two people dancing together doesn't really have much connection to sexuality but many view it as a form of LGBT visibility and it is always a gay or bi celeb, usually they request a same-sex partner.

What do you think? A positive step for LGBT visibility on TV or virtue signalling?

I don't see this happening on the American version any time soon since it's mostly watched by Republicans, they've cast the likes of Tucker Carlson, Tom DeLay, Bristol Palin, Rick Perry and Sean Spicer in the past.

2. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
  3. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Great news! We always watch Strictly as my daughter loves it.

Thanks for sharing. :slight_smile:

4. Vesta

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I read about that earlier today. I'm glad that it's happening. Not necessarily in an LGBT+ sort of way, but because same-sex activities in general shouldn't be pushed aside for archaic traditions.

I am amused that there were 100 or so complaints to the BBC about two men dancing together being 'offencive' though.

5. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was glad that there was only 189 complaints about Graziano & Johannes' dance last year as it could have been a heck of a lot worse. Imagine if they had same-sex dancing when the programme debuted in 2004? I can only imagine the response then.

6. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No problem! :slight_smile:

It's a fun show and I'm liking the look of this year's cast. Seems to be a lot of people with potential. Wish they'd get rid of the current hosts & judges (except for Craig) though.

7. Loves books

They had two same sex couples dance on DWTS Ireland already earlier this year. I think it was the switch partners week and there was a big deal made about it. They called it Irish TV history. Like most Irish history it was fairly lacklustre. Everyone was talking about the two men and conveniently forgot that the two women were dancing after the men. It was only for the one episode though.The article I read said strictly wanted to stick to a more traditional male-female pairings but I guess they changed their minds now. I might actually watch it for a change.

8. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I saw that. The two men were definitely the focus but I think that the celebrity asked for a male partner in the switch week and for logistical reasons, that meant that they had to do a female-female couple and didn't really know what to do with them so just went the "girl power" route.

They've had them on other versions - Denmark (where they won), Australia (a drag queen did it and finished runner up), Germany, Sweden, Israel, Italy and three times in Austria. Most other European countries had done it so it was about time that the original UK version did.

#8 Joe2001, Sep 4, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
  9. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not virtue signalling and it shouldn't even be controversial. Same sex couples have been taking part in ballroom and latin dancing for many years and not always for the reasons some petty minded individuals like to assume. I'm afraid some people are terrified of anything that looks remotely progressive.