1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First trailer for Love, Victor

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Chierro, May 26, 2020.

1. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Update:
    I finished tonight...and I absolutely need a season two right this second because I love this show so much. I need more like...now.

It's so much more than just Victor's coming out story. That obviously takes the main stage, but the other cast's stories and character development is also showcased from his friends to his family and GOD I need more of this show.

2. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I cannot second this comment enough. I need Season Two asap! They cant just leave us hanging like that. Also hoping we get more original cast cameos and it wasnt just a one-off thing (I think it would actually be cool to have Victor's parents cross paths with Simon's parents).

Also, Felix has quickly become my favorite character. He's so adorkable.

#22 BothWaysSecret, Jun 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  3. Arsenalpe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Family only
    How is it? If it is good then I start watching plz share your feelings

4. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Watched a few bits of it, not yet seen the full thing thanks to Hulu not being available over here.

Is it just me who felt as if Victor was a bit of an idiot? He wasn't being blackmailed like Simon was (which partially excused his bad behaviour). Sure, people are in denial about their sexuality and try to date the opposite sex but who kisses someone twice while in a relationship? And the first kiss with Benji was non-consensual as well. I felt badly for Mia who did seem genuinely nice and deserved a proper relationship. He did too many things wrong IMO, although I believe he was supposed to be 16 so just immature.

Thoughts:
    - George Sear (Benji) is very good looking and it's nice to see a Brit make it on one of these TV shows. :slight_smile:
    - Loved the return of Ms. Albright and that she was promoted. Go girl!
    - Isn't Felix an awesome friend? Everyone needs a Felix.
    - Derek kinda had douche written all over him, he and Benji screamed incompatible on every level.
    - Glad that Simon is still with Bram and appears to have ditched his shitty friends from High School.
    - Why was Benji assistant manager while still at school? And why was there no place in Atlanta to fix the machine? That was poor writing.
    - Kinda nervous to see what Victor's parents reaction is like, especially since his grandparents are homophobic and his parents are religious.

I may have some more so could add in another post later on.

Definitely hope for a 2nd series and more of Benji and Victor's relationship!

#24 Joe2001, Jul 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  5. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I mean, yeah, Victor's 16. 16-year-olds don't always make the right calls and for most of the season (up through the end of episode 7), Victor tries to convince himself he's straight, or at least bi? He doesn't want to be attracted to guys until he has to admit the fact that he definitely isn't attracted to girls and IS attracted to guys. So, I wouldn't really call him an idiot. He really spent most of the season figuring things out.

But, honestly, I can't really blame him for doing the "wrong things." He kind of fell into his relationship with Mia by accident. He thought Mia was nice and rode the ferris wheel with her and then BAM CreekSecrets. It all just kind of happened for him and he couldn't get out without hurting Mia...who he really liked. It took him six episodes to realize the difference between liking someone and being legitimately attracted to them. And honestly, he was a damn good boyfriend for most of the season.

As for the kiss being non-consensual, yeah...but that kind of shit happens all the time, too. So while it was non-consensual, it still felt realistic. Victor was acting in the heat of the moment, people do that. Shit happens. And Benji kisses back before pushing away...it's subtle but if you watch closely.

And as for kissing someone of the same sex (multiple times) while dating someone of the opposite sex...I, uh, literally built that into the plot of my manuscript for my main character. But he's also in a relationship that won't go anywhere and only attracted to guys...sooo...

You don't have to worry about them breaking up anytime soon, either! The Simonverse couples stay together for good. He is still friends with his high school friends though, and they stay close. The recently released Love, Creekwood kind of bridges the book and movie universes (but is still set in the book universe) and confirms they all stay in touch and hang out on breaks.
    This was sort of explained? They couldn't get any applicants out of the rich kids from Creekwood, unless Benji was lying, Victor was the only applicant for the open position. And it's actually not that weird? One of my students, who I believe was 16, became Assistant Manager of our local Taco Bell. It's kind of weird, yeah, but it happens.

As for the machine? Plot armor. They needed a road trip and it didn't really need explanation. If I had to guess, though, they could've explained that it was a very specific machines that you need specific tools/parts for, which is why there wasn't any place in Atlanta.
    This is what I'm eager (and nervous) to see too, really. Since next season (once it hopefully gets renewed), could either pick up RIGHT THERE or time jump with flashbacks. The thing with his parents, though, is that they at least come across as more accepting than his grandparents. We didn't get a strong enough gauge to see what their reaction will be like, though. They love him, we know that, but at the very least his dad has said some homophobic things...so it's up in the air.

6. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Really? That definitely sucks if Simon is still in contact with them. I could not stand his 3 HS friends (give me Felix any day over them, even when he was a bit annoying!) - they way they treated him after Martin-gate made them look like drama queens. Not unforgivable given their age but not defending him when he got homophobically abused was vile. Him keeping touch with them is like me sticking around with my former so-called "friend" from high school (hint, I didn't) who was an absolute horror to me. Ah well, at least he and Bram are still together, they made for a cool couple and I wish we could have seen a little more of them.

Victor probably was the only person who applied from Creekwood itself but I am surprised that they couldn't find someone out of HS to be assistant manager. I can't imagine how Benji would have the time to juggle that with school and other things.

The machine road trip just seemed like a way to make up a plot, nothing to lose sleep over but it has to be one of the least realistic things I've ever seen on any program/movie.

They will be better than his grandparents but that ain't a high bar to set. I do worry a lot, especially since his parents are going through a separation. The only positive of that situation is that it will give the writers plenty of things to work with for Season 2. I hope for Victor that things work out, the idea of coming out going badly terrifies me and I'd hate to see it tear him apart on screen, I don't know if I could physically watch that. His dad saying homophobic things may or may not mean anything, many people from that generation say homophobic things as "jokes", after all, racism was viewed as funny by people here in the UK as recently as the late 70's.

#26 Joe2001, Jul 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  7. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    To be fair, the movie handled that situation so much worse than the book. In the book, they get mad at Simon for pulling stupid shit (which isn't the same as what he does in the movie), but ultimately they forgive him and we see that. The movie is SOLID, but the book is much, much better. Personally, I'm hoping to see Abby (and maybe Leah) next season, ever since I saw BTS pics of Alexandra Shipp (Abby's actress) visiting set and taking pictures with Mia.

There is also the possibility that he was just joking around when he said that, which is something I've considered. Like Victor came in and he was just thinking, "Yes, I'm gonna interview him myself!!" Or...multiple assistant managers? Like shift managers? Like I said, one of my students was an assistant manager at Taco Bell at 16...which is super weird, but it happens, I guess.

My personal guess is that his dad will start to act different with him. We see him acting kind of buddy-buddy with Victor now, but I honestly feel like the ideal scenario is his dad acts weird and goes through some personal growth. I can see his mom being the most accepting out of the two, but his dad is the one I want to see the struggle with more.

Because honestly, I don't want his coming out to go smoothly. I think Pilar will be fine with it, but his parents I expect to need some time with it. Given the family background, it doesn't feel realistic for it to go smoothly. And it would really defeat Victor's whole internal struggle if his parents are just like "Cool, we love you." Eventually I want to see that, yeah, but we need some struggle first.

I think we could see something like the siblings splitting their time between their apartment and wherever their mom moves to (since his dad works for the building), but whenever Victor is at their apartment with their dad, I could see him spending his time with Felix instead and there being a lot of uncomfortable tension between him and his dad.

8. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Any other Benji fans here? Dude is the best looking guy of the show IMO and the guy who plays him has a really nice accent IRL.

9. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Benji's alright in the looks department. I've seen far better in my opinion(although, accents ARE hot) But I definitely like the character.

To be honest I think Victor is cuter. And there's something adorkable about Felix that I like as well.

10. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Victor just looks too young IMO, give his actor 5 years and he could be good. Felix is definitely adorkable.

11. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Anyone else find it odd that there appears to be no openly LGBT actors/actresses in Love, Victor at all? It's not something I would lose sleep over but given the story, I'm surprised that there are none. Yes, Love, Simon was played by Nick Robinson who is straight but the movie did feature Keiynan Lonsdale (Bram), Joey Pollari (Lyle) and Miles Heizer (Cal) as potential love interests and all of them are openly LGBT. With the majority of roles being straight, it wouldn't surprise me if some gay actors struggled to find work a bit more so surely this sort of gig would be good for them?

The show is good and all but I can't help but wonder if their audience is more straight teenage females than gay males? Just a thought.

#31 Joe2001, Jul 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  12. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Plus, Nick's brother is gay and came out during production of Love, Simon and I think he used that as inspiration/guidance

Do we know Michael Cimino's (Victor) sexual orientation? I have not found anything about it online. I have looked it up in the past for similar reasons, to see if it was an LGBT actor playing the part (even though that really doesn't make a difference, as the best actor should get it regardless of sexual orientation, in my opinion), but also because he just gave me a not-straight vibe and I wanted to see if my suspicions were true or not.

Side note: I also did not know that Miles Heizer is gay/bi

13. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Miles is dating an actor called Connor Jessup. I think he's just a private and quiet type of guy (watching him in interviews is painful) but he's definitely LGBT in some way. Always found him cute.

As for Michael - I honestly don't know one way or another - I didn't really get a not-straight vibe from him but didn't get a straight vibe either, and my gaydar is usually decent - hence why I used the word openly, but if I'm being honest, if he was gay/bi, he would have probably came out when he made this. Same for George Sear (Benji), Anthony Turpel (Felix) and all of the others, this would have been a prime opportunity to come out but none of them have which makes me think that they are straight.

#33 Joe2001, Jul 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  14. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's really not that simple, though. I mean, Keiynan didn't come out until after Love, Simon came out. I really don't think we need to have actors disclose their sexuality or label themselves for a role. Yes, Cimino and Sear played gay roles but coming out isn't easy. It's easy to say, "Oh, yeah, this is just a role I play," but it's harder to say, "Oh, yeah, this is ME."

If they are into guys and end up coming out, great! If not, I really don't see it as the end of the world. They're both talented actors and great at their roles and that's all that should really matter.

Could they have cast openly LGBT actors? Sure, but that limits their pool of eligible actors because some may not be sure of their sexuality or may not come from a place where they can come out. I mean, when I think of when I was a teenager to now, there's been a lot of people I knew then that I assumed were straight that have since come out as gay or bi. Everyone comes out at their own paces and limiting casting to only openly LGBT actors would've just been...wrong.

Cimino is in his 20's and Victor is 16, so really him looking young is actually good. He shouldn't look to be in his 20's when he's playing a teenager.

15. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Show has officially been renewed for Season 2!!

16. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Great stuff - just hoping that there is more focus on the gay aspect (like the coming out and that sort of thing) and his relationship with Benji this time.

17. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yaaaass! I'm so happy! Do we know a premiere date?

18. Lek

Lek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  19. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Nope, but if I had to take a guess, I would say next June. Filming for Season 1 was between August and December of 2019, I believe, so if they start filming in the next month or so, next June seems quite likely.

That...doesn't confirm he's straight? It was simply said that people warned him against his first major role being a gay character because xyz. He doesn't actually say, "I'm straight." Look at Joshua Rush. One of his first big roles was as Cyrus Goodman in Andi Mack and Cyrus turns out to be gay. Rush has done interviews saying that the role helped him figured out his sexuality and eventually come out as bisexual.

20. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That might mean that the cast will have to live together for the duration of filming. I'm not 100% sure on the COVID situation in California but a socially distanced version would be futile.