1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where are the classical/jazz music nerds?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Chip, Jul 3, 2020.

1. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It occurs to me that among LGBT populations, there's often an unusually high interest in the jazz and classical genres of music. But I don't think we've had a whole lot of conversation about that here, at least that I can remember.

I've long had an interest in some pretty out-there experimental jazz, as well as more mainstream stuff. Right now, I am super into Jacob Collier's music, both because of his enormously diverse musical style and the absolute joy that comes across in nearly all of his work. But I also love more traditional jazz (Joey Alexander is pretty amazing) and some more experimental (Jon Hassell, Eberhard Weber).

Anyone have similar interests/thoughts?

2. musicteach

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really dislike jazz. I can tolerate it to a point, but not so much. Unfortunately as trumpet players, jazz is something that’s heavily studied in western music education. Every trumpet player by the time they graduate high school has probably played hours of jazz. I do enjoy classical though. “O Fortuna” is one of my favorites!

3. alwaysforever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Jazz is okay. I really like trip-hop with a jazz influence. I wouldn't consider myself a music nerd, however. I do enjoy jazz or classical music -- the music I grew up listening to -- while I am drawing. The music for me is more of a tool to drown out distractions than anything.

4. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I appreciate jazz, and jazz fusion, but I feel like a novice when it comes to the genre. I only know some of the bigger names like Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock, John Coltrane, etc.

5. quadratic

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Classical here - all my life. Even as a child I preferred classical to all other genres, and still do. Jazz leaves me cold, although occasionally I can enjoy a bit of big band swing. But my greatest love is instrumental music from the late renaissance through the classical era (say about 1600 - 1820), and picking up again in the 20th century. However, that is nearly 350 years worth of music!

6. Omla

Me

7. Doopz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hardly consider myself a "nerd" on the subject, but I do find myself enjoying the works of Pharoah Sanders, Charles Mingus, and various other artists I don't have the brain power to remember.

8. Joelle b

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I love jazz music. It took me a while to fall in love, but I listen to a lot of it now. Also, it is the most fun thing to play on the piano (Ive been playing for about 8 years).

9. dbri

dbri Guest

I really enjoy classical. I'm in a vehicle often for work, so I try to switch over to a station that plays news talk radio in the am, classical from noon to 2 pm and jazz afterwards. I can do without jazz for the most part. Jazz players are incredibly talented, but it's not appealing to my ear.
    I have attempted to learn how to play a few classical pieces on guitar. It's fun to learn, but I could never piece together some of the intricate parts of the arrangement well.

10. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not a jazz nerd but I do enjoy jazz and once in a while will listen to it as background noise. It’s relaxing. I have heard of some people say though that jazz music gives them anxiety.

11. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Speaking of jazz, has anyone been to New Orleans? Did you like it? Any recommendations? I would like to go there once the pandemic is over.

12. dbri

dbri Guest

I've not been during Mardi Gras, but have been to Bourbon St. I didn't get to spend a lot of time, just kind of passed through, but I'd go back for sure. Go when you get a chance!

13. laurenliz

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I love classical music, I've loved it since I was very little, I play the violin and think that string music is the best music.