1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello guys!

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by Xenio, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Xenio

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Glad to be here! I’m a uni student from Asia. I’m currently living abroad alone in my dorm room during this social isolation period. My hometown and the country I’ve been studying in are both relatively conservative Asian countries where LGBT communities are very marginalised and anti-discrimination protection for us is virtually non-existent. Hence, I haven’t come out to anybody and always keep some distance from others as I can’t help thinking that they would find out about my homosexuality and judge me. For this reason, I don’t have very close friends and often feel very lonely especially during this pandemic.

I come here because I’ve found myself desperate to find a community where I can make some friends and embrace my sexual orientation. Thank you guys so much for providing this safe online platform.

Here are some things about myself:
    1. I love digital painting (anime style, learning landscape art now). I’m not sure whether I’m allowed to share some of my works here?
    2. I major in math (Asian spotted!). Feel free to approach me if you have calculus problems lol.
    3. English is not my first language. I’m not very fluent in English actually, especially in speaking. Hope you guys won’t mind.
    I’m looking forward to interacting with you guys!

2. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC!

I’m sorry that you’re unable to be open about your sexuality, but I am sure you will find some people to chat to here.

I don’t think anyone will notice that English isn’t your first language.

:slight_smile:

#2 LostInDaydreams, Jul 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  3. Xenio

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks so much for your kind words :blush:

4. Xenio

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I saw some art threats here so I think it should be okay to share my works? Here are some of my paintings! Hope you guys will enjoy them :blush:
    C37EC296-D9D3-4BEF-AA0C-B09D4B460899_1_102_o.jpeg D0E30A21-DA64-44F2-9419-4969CB7E76C8_1_201_a.jpeg IMG_0035.jpg

5. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As a 30 something somewhat closeted (fellow) Asian, Hello! I've been where you are, completely closeted, only out to people online, like here on EC. But I promise life can and will get better. I found really, really good, open-minded people who became my friends later (when I turned 27) and it was amazing coming out to them. So don't give up hope, you'll definitely meet people who will value you. :slight_smile:.

Hiding your true identity in a country where homosexuality is deemed criminally offensive, can be very, very tough. Adding social non-acceptance and intolerance to that, makes it even worse, I totally get that. It can be very hard. So if you want to talk about it, or just rant about anytime, feel free to send me a visitor message on my profile. :slight_smile:

6. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello, I am Asian American! I love your art, and I'm sorry this pandemic has caused more isolation. However, making art is a great way to express your feelings. I agree with Ram that finding those accepting friends can really help your survive. Artists in particular are often quite accepting of different people.

I understand things are difficult, but your degree will give you a good chance at financial and physical independence to live the life you want. It may seem like things will never change, but remember that only a few decades ago, many "liberal" Western countries also criminalized LGBT people. It was only last month that the US Supreme Court outlawed job discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity. Change is slowly coming to Asia, too, and even in conservative countries, there are pockets of liberalism.

7. Xenio

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I really appreciate your support Ram! :smile: And thanks so much for sharing your experience. I have already felt extremely lucky to find this community and to know that there are people just like me. I will definitely never give up hope and I look forward to meeting some people I can truly open up to.

8. Xenio

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks so much for your encouraging words, Resu!:relaxed: I actually got back to paining very recently because I've found this hobby can make me calm and relax when I feel lonely and stressed during this period. I think joining communities like EC will definitely help me to more embrace my homosexuality which I have been hiding from others for so long.

9. mellissa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    They are all great. The last one is amazing though. It is breathtaking.
    I've already passed Calculus with a good grade so I won't be needing the help. However, if you ever want to talk about your sexual orientation or other stuff the contact me. :slight_smile:

10. Xenio

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks Mellissa. :blush:

11. Bri2020

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Welcome! I've only been on here about a week and have found a lot of support so you are in the right place. Isolation is so hard and people can spiral into a mental funk so easily when isolated so I'm glad you found this place. You may not "speak english" well but you write better then most Americans lol. Oh- I love your art work. I'm not into Anime but I can appreciate the art form.

12. Xenio

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks. :blush: