1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you do to sleep earlier at night?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Vega222, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's my wish to sleep around 10 and wake up early in the morning always. I enjoy to see the sunrise too. But I still fail to sleep that early. I usually sleep around 11-12-1 (Which still is much earlier than many people in this country!).
    Also, I live with my family and there are some difficulties to sleep early.

So, If you sleep early at night, How do you do it?

I feel much energetic if I sleep early.

2. musicteach

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Stay up late then get up earlier forcing yourself to a low sleep situation. You’ll go to bed early.

3. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, I should try that. Actually I've already tried to. Sometimes I am too lazy/tired and refuse to wake up early. :slight_smile:) But I'll try again.

4. musicteach

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Make yourself.

5. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I expect to achieve certain goals or do certain things in each day. So, If I wasn't satisfied with that, I will try to do them before going to sleep.
    And, Since I don't wake up so early, I have to wake up late to achieve them.

That's one reason I fail to sleep early.

#5 Vega222, Jun 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  6. Vesta

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've had problems like that too. I'm more of a night owl so go to bed late and end up waking late. Even if I end up going to bed 'early' I wouldn't fall asleep until 2, sometimes 3 in the morning. Forcing myself to get up after looking at my clock and just seeing the time never worked.

To fix the problem, I had to make sure I set my alarm clock for 1-2 hours earlier than a time I'd normally get up at, and put the clock the other side of the room. This meant that I was getting up earlier, but forcing myself to get out of bed. The first week was very hard because I was extremely tired, which meant that I would look to having coffee to help me overcome the tiredness which actually made it worse for me at night. The second week was a little better, especially when avoiding caffeine. The 3rd week I set my alarm another hour earlier. Now I wake up early every day. Some days, like tonight, I go to bed late, but I always wake up at the same time.

Try it for yourself and see how you get on. :slight_smile:

7. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You did a great job!
    I've tried that but not for a few weeks! The problem was I was exhausted during the day and couldn't do anything useful. But if I can get used to it after a while, That would be great. I will gladly try that!

#7 Vega222, Jun 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  8. BlueMonday

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I either read or write. It tires out my brain enough to make me fall asleep earlier.

9. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I reduced about 1-2 hours of my sleep time. I wake up around 7 every morning. I have more time to do my stuff and that's great. But I feel impatient/angry and a bit sick...

#9 Vega222, Jun 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
  10. Vesta

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Try sticking with just waking up an hour earlier than usual for now. Make sure you're also getting the appropriate amount of nutrition as well. Remember, you've been trying to wake up earlier for less than a week. Your body needs time to adjust to change. Make small changes and be patient with yourself. :slight_smile:

11. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, this is something that I also struggle with- but sometimes I manage to wake up earlier for about a week. I tend to find that I start making exceptions and then eventually end up completely going against my plan. Anyway, here are some things that have helped me.

- Check your lighting situation.

Personally, I find that switching from my main light source to a duller lamp towards the end of the night helps. It makes the transition from day to night less jarring for me, since I'm fairly emotionally sensitive to light levels.

- Avoid using your bed as a seat as much as possible.

I know that it's tempting, but if you spend too much time on your bed it no longer becomes somewhere associated with sleep.

- Consider if you're getting enough exercise.

You don't have to go all out, but getting some exercise in can lower excess energy. Especially if you're like me and you end up pacing in a circle repeatedly around your home if you don't.

- Perhaps you might want to start reading before bed.

Completely optional of course. I know it also has the potential to backfire, I have gotten too invested in a story before and ended up reading two (or four) more chapters than I'd originally intended.

-If you can lucid dream, I'd recommend it.

So, I know that this doesn't come easily for some. It's always been an easy task for me, I've been able to lucid dream since I was about eight years old maybe earlier. When I'm trying to get to sleep, I sometimes imagine a particular setting plus scenario and fade into it. This doesn't work for everyone, but I've been doing this for a long time.

12. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I took a brief 10-25 min nap for about a month, after I started going to bed around 11 pm and waking up around 6 am. I started at 25 min nap between 3 and 5 pm, the time when I felt tired, groggy and cranky, and slowly reduced it by 5 min every week. Now I hardly take afternoon naps, but if I need to, I just snooze on the sofa/couch for 10 min to refresh myself. I felt it works for me and I'm usually sleepy around 11 pm. Waking up early in the morning has also gotten easier.

13. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for the lengthy response.
    About reading, It would be novels for me. And most of them are about adventures. You know, They even make it worse I guess. Make you feel thrilling and maybe even cause nightmares if you read them before sleeping. I don't know.

That's great and thanks for sharing.
    But you probably need to sleep about 7.5 hours each night, Most people do. If it's lesser than that, You might need to sleep sooner.

14. Loves books

I always end up in a nocturnal routine. I manage to switch it, but I have bad stomach problems and one bad night can mess it all up. I spend more time nocturnal than not. It’s not too bad in summer but I have been known to not see the sun in a week in winter. Currently I’m falling asleep at 6 and waking up at whatever alarm wakes me. They start at 9 and go off every 20 mins until 4. I think today it was 1.20. I read in a book on sleep to switch sleep schedules, go to bed three hours later every day until it’s switched. It works. The only problem is annoying family members who won’t let you sleep.

15. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I see.
    It feels different from person to person. I mean, It ruins my day if I sleep till noon. But my friend is happy with sleeping at morning till afternoon.
    Also, I have a very light sleep and can't sleep when there is noises. So, I understand that. And sorry for that. I think sleep is one the most enjoyable things and lacking enough sleep is very hard to endure.

I can't sleep at the hours you mentioned. If I sleep late it doesn't help me if I sleep till noon. I'll still feel tired and sick.
    Also, I like the way people lived in the past. They would sleep early at night and wake up at dawn (I don't know the exact hours). So, That's another reason for me.

16. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I successfully made a habit of sleeping early. Now it's 9 p.m. (10 with daylight saving time) here and I am very sleepy. :sweat_smile: I have been sleeping around 10 p.m. and wake up around 7 a.m these days. It is very good.

But it's about 9 hours of night sleep. I also sleep 1 hour at afternoon most days. A bit too much. But still I am very happy...
    I am unemployed these days and that makes me more sleepy. When I get a job I can reduce my sleep hours more easily.

So, I fulfilled one of my wishes. :v:

#16 Vega222, Aug 11, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2020