1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you have a good memory?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Andrew99, May 9, 2020.

1. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

I can’t remember as much as the people in the video above. As of 2018, there is only 61 cases. I can remember a lot. I can remember certain days of the week since I was about 14. I can also recall what I was doing on certain dates quite often. Do you have a good memory?

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It ranges from awful to amazing, but I'd say on average I have a good memory.

I tend to remember past things (years ago) much better than something that just happened hours or days ago. I can remember where I was when I heard a song I love for the first time, things that made me anxious in elementary school and (embarassingly) occasionally when I replay a pokemon game I can remember certain pokemon random NPC have LOL.

On the flip, my friends often remind me that they just said something 30 minutes ago aha

3. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Extremely good, but for some reason it's particularly keyed into matching names/faces with what the person said/did in a specific context. Especially in a written form like posts on this forum, just seeing someone's name can make me think of random threads they posted years ago or exactly what their profile picture was the day I joined the forum etc.

I've been framing my studying around that for a long time. There have been quite a few times where I didn't know the answer on a test but could vividly remember some offhanded semi-unrelated comment some random person in the class made about that topic the previous month, and piecing together those random comments from random people leads me to the answer. Instead of just studying notes and the textbook like most people, I play back my memories of a class like a video in my head and try to remember as much of what everyone said as possible even if it seems totally irrelevant.

4. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, I don't. Actually it's bad enough that I have a ton of little coping strategies and tricks to make up for it. It is what it is.

5. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    HA. No.

Okay, it actually varies. There are some things I just remember, like some friends birthdays or the fact that my favorite literary scene takes place on pages 196-197 of the hardcover edition of Simon Vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda. But then there are major things I forget (like the specific date of my mom's birthday) and then just random things I'll forget.

Part of it can be attributed to my epilepsy, I haven't had a seizure in years now, but my doctors told me when I was diagnosed that my memory could be iffy sometimes and my medication doesn't help much. But it depends.

6. musicteach

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sort of? I’m terrible with names, but good with faces. I can remember dates, but have trouble associating them with what they actually go with. But then when it comes to music, memorizing music/drill is easy. For band practice, while I always have my music/drill with me, usually by a week or two in I know what everything should look and sound like.

7. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I’ve noticed that I can remember like what day of the week this date was even if nothing eventful really happened. I know I can’t really give a physical example but I had my bf question me on what day of the week was some random date after the day I turned 14 and I could remember a lot of them pretty accurately and the ones that I was off on, I was only a day off on.

8. Joelle b

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I can remember info really well, like, if my mom is talking to someone I can remember every thing, but I forget like, what I had for breakfast, or if I even ate anything. It’s wired, yeah?

9. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would say so. I can remember the most arbitrary things from my life. I'm good with names and faces. I'm quite good with random facts.

Where my memory doesn't come in handy is actually when it comes to academics. If you asked me any of the math questions that I had to do for my exam 3 years ago, I wouldn't have a clue how to do them even though they were drilled into me for months (and I did get an A in Math).

Nowhere near as good as the people in that video, they are very rare. One of them was on DWTS a few years back and her partner asked her what happened on the day he was born and she began to list off various different things. No way that I could ever do that.

#9 Joe2001, May 11, 2020
    Last edited: May 11, 2020
  10. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Same

11. Zii

Zii

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    i don't :sweat_smile: but an ex-girlfriend told me I do have a good memory.. or at least I remember the bad ones :confounded:

12. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Hard to say. I'm awful with names, but okay when it comes to remembering things like instructions. Shopping lists I need help with; same for things I want to talk about with my therapist- I have to write them down. But I think I'm about average there. I think I'm above average with languages, but that's more about practice than memory.

13. La Corbeau

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have an extremely patchy memory for the RANDOMEST stuff. I am well-known in my family for busting out with a wildly specific topical joke that I picked up sometime over the last decade. On the other hand, I still do not know everyone's names in my homeroom. Guys. It's May. I still don't know. I never will.

14. Nightlight

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wacky. I never properly remember important things that I took time memorizing. Instead I remember totally random things that happened years ago at the most random time. It's not the most reliable tool that I have with me, despite being considerably young...

15. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What was the question?

16. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, my memory is pretty terrible. I usually have to make lists for things, and even then I'll lose the lists and forget what I am doing. It can be rather annoying at times.

17. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    :laughing::joy:

18. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you. :slight_smile: Haha.

I was surprised it hadn’t been done already.

19. Vesta

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not sure if I have a good memory. For significant life events, maybe. For daily life things, probably not. My earliest memory was when I 3 years old. There are a lot of blank patches in my childhood, but I remember quite a bit of my teenage years and early twenties.

20. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends on whether I find the thing to memorise interesting and it depends on whether it makes logical sense.