1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I feel like going on HRT,

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Christyh13, May 21, 2020.

1. Christyh13

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I started HRT and I keep stopping and I can't make up my mind I know I want to but I'm afraid how I'm gonna look and how the results will be and I don't know for really wanna do it, if I am really ready for the Consequences that comes from it like losing the job or friendships, I know that I only have one life to live, I hope someone has some imput if other people have a tough decision before doing HRT too,

2. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When you've been on HRT, what keeps making you stop?
    I believe what a lot of trans people don't talk about is the fear going into it, whatever stage you're at, and if you're not out at work it may be a surprise to coworkers if they start noticing subtle changes. Do you know, or have a general idea of how they might react if you told them? Does your state have any laws protecting trans and LGBT people?

Have you talked with your GP or endo about the possible changes when taking estrogen? A timeline of when to start expecting certain things to happen? You could suggest to your endo/GP of going on a lower dose. It'll take a lot longer to start seeing results, but it may not be as big of a shock to see your body changing.

3. Christyh13

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am currently working so that is a good thing, its just that it's a big life decision and some days I think if i really want to do it, i would like to be a real girl, and I just have to accept that I do it for myself and not care of being rejected by a lot of people, I act more feminine any way and I have people joke about it as is i might as well be a real woman

4. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It’s definitely a huge decision to make and not one to take lightly. Do you have any support systems in your life, a good friend, spouse/partner, therapist, you could talk with in person?

You do have to do things for yourself if those things will make you happy, and sometimes you have to be a little selfish. Though, I’d make sure you’re not putting yourself in any sort of danger either.

5. Nic2552

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Go for it, you only live one mine as well live your true self, live by your means, yes you will lose some but you will also gain some new relationships. Remember we are your second family on here.

6. Christyh13

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for the kind words

7. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    What you're feeling is perfectly understandable. It's a big decision, and a big change.

I've been on HRT since December, so almost six months now. I can definitely understand being afraid of how things will go when I come out at work. I am also afraid that the physical changes will be noticed before I'm ready to come out, but I think even now it's something I can hide until I'm ready.

So chances are, you'll be able to go on HRT and still keep it a secret until you're ready to tell anyone.

And remember, you're still a real girl regardless of whether or not you're on HRT.

8. Christyh13

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    After 6 months you don't see any noticeable changes ?

9. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    There is some definite breast growth, to the point that I kind of need a bra for more physical activities. But it takes a tight shirt for it to be really noticeable. But if necessary I can still wear a loose shirt to hide them when I need to pose as a guy.

If there are other changes (like body fat distribution) it may be too subtle for me to have noticed.

10. Phoenix92

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    HRT is a huge step, and yes there can be fear associated with it. I started mine about a month after coming to accept myself, but I sadly didn't have any fear associated with it, I was excited to start it, I was excited to end the hold that T had on me. I've been on it 812 days at this point, some changes were subtle, some changes were more obvious(at least to others).
    Subtle changes were the redistribution of fats(I was naturally slender before, so not much fat to redistribute), and something that's been slow to come is breast growth(I'm at a big A cup as of my last measurement).
    But one of the most rapid changes that others saw was in my face, in my smile. My overall demeanor, and some of this was even in that month before I started HRT. "You're happier now" a very wonderful gentleman(whom I so want to do a photoshoot with) reminds me every time we run into each other.

Yes, HRT can be scary, especially at first. But it does get easier.
    If people cut you out because of the HRT, it is their loss not yours.
    As you said, you've only one life to live. When you look back at your life years from now, wouldn't you want to be able to say that you took that leap?