1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Was The Most Encouraging Reaction You Got When You Came Out

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Archer22, May 16, 2020.

1. Archer22

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Let's Talk!

2. Joelle b

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I accidentally told my cousin, because she was asking me if I had a crush on any one and I was like, well, I swore off boys... and girls.
    It was funny, my cuz looked thrilled and she smiled and she was like, ‘that’s ok! That’s great for you! And you can like who ever you want to!’
    So that’s the best reply I have gotten so far. Some people have been at less accepting, others slightly ok.

3. Archer22

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey... I saw your message but I don't know, I couldn't reply. Arter I tapped the show conversation button. Do you know why that is?

4. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I had joined a social group back in 2017 and hung out with them a lot. After doing so for months, I came out to a group of them when we were riding in a train together. I told them my story of struggle and how I was in the closet for over a decade and then came out. It was the most amazing feeling when all 11 of them listened to me in pin-drop silence, while I was choking up and telling them my experience for 15 minutes. I think some of the other train passengers might've listened in too, but I could care less ha ha. I got a lot of hugs, tears and pats on my back that day. But I went to sleep shortly thereafter with a big smile on my face and some weight off my heart.

5. Archer22

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It's really encouraging

Ram90 likes this.
  6. Pedro123

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My best friend reminded me of all my main qualities, said that he'd help me as much as he could through it all, and despite him finding it funny to make gay jokes (even I found it funny and joked with him too), he even encouraged me to explore myself and wanted to take me to an LGBT party, which made me extremely happy and really close to him.

7. Jon Sol

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I came out to my ex. (After year separation.) I Broke down telling her. She didn't hesitate. Came right over, hugged me, told me it was alright, that she loved me and didn't have any regrets of our time together.
    i was blessed.

8. Vesta

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I came out to my mother at 16, she asked me a few awkward questions, and then said that she 'had a feeling'. She continued, saying that she always knew that if I were to be gay, she'd still love me equally the same.

This meant a lot to me, because we lived next door to a family whose daughter was gay and often had her girlfriend over. My mother would see them kissing and her reactions were less than stellar. She had a lot of negative comments about gay people in general. It made me fear being gay so was in a period of denial for years because I was scared she'd throw me out.

Given the time it took me to come out to her, especially after such a battle within myself to finally accept my sexual orientation, hearing her say those things, despite all the homophobic comments she'd spew out beforehand, it was really encouraging. It gave me hope that not all those who demonstrate homophobia, really are.

I think my being gay has helped her understand homosexuality, and sexuality in general. Though she does make the odd comment here and there, I'm used to it, and I'm grateful to the amount of support and understanding she has been willing to provide. Coming out to her was very hard, and knowing that the situation could have gone an entirely different way makes me feel all the more grateful to her reaction.

lunarqueer likes this.
  9. VanBo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well for me this is still a process. I am bi, but in an opposite sex marriage. My daughter came out to us last year and that started me on my own journey of discovery at the age of 49... I told a good friend of mine, and he had no idea (no one does, I had not been with a guy since I was a teenager). I felt a bit awkward after telling him, but he just said, “you are like a brother. Thanks for sharing.” And he gave me a big hug to let me know it was okay. At this point I have only told a small handful of people.

10. BiGemini87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think I had one encouraging reaction that stands out above the others. I'd have to say it was pretty much anyone who told me they were proud of me for living my truth and showing that they understood this didn't change who I am as a person: that all it did was allow me to be more myself.

11. CatWho

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I am 46 years old and just came out to a few friends. One of my best friends, since I was about 5, told me that she wished I'd told her when I first thought I was gay because if I had, she would have told me to be myself and not worry about what others think so that I could be happy! She also told me that she knew or at least suspected I was. It felt really good to know that my best friends knew and supported me!

12. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Two different people on two different days told me that they were honored that I shared my feelings with them.

13. gurlinred

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    This is a hard one but all my close friends are LGBTQ+ and somehow the rest of my school found out and they don't approve so the most positive reaction was from my dog and my 6th-grade therapist. My dog just barked at me but other than that had no reaction, and my 6th-grade therapist said something like "well I am here if you ever wanna talk about your problems". None of my close friends are worth mentioning in this because their reaction was cool thanks for telling us we still love you. (even though I just mentioned them haha)

#13 gurlinred, May 27, 2020
    Last edited: May 27, 2020
  14. mellissa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My friend said "Oh that makes a lot more sense". He was the first person I ever really said the word 'lesbian' to. With my other friend, I told her I was feeling more of an attraction to women than to men, which is pretty vague and helpful.

15. Rhierakin

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I told my best friend that I was at least bi, closer to the lesbian end of the spectrum. She answered "I know :slight_smile: Thanks for telling me though, I'm so proud of you." When I asked how long she'd known, she said for about three years.
    I didn't figure it out until last year.
    It just felt so good to know that she really saw me, and that she knows me well enough to get me before even I did. It was incredibly validating.

CatWho likes this.
  16. Phoenix92

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The greatest reaction to my coming out as Trans quite possibly has to be "Well it's about damn time!"
    This was from a friend in the Cosplay Community, whom I first met at a local con when I'd "Girl Moded it(each subsequent run in with her was at a con, and I had "Girl Moded" it, so it was absolutely no surprise when I actually did come out.
    Another friend, also from the cosplay community, was thrilled for me. This being that the two Halloweens before I came out, I'd again "Girl Moded" it to the party we were both at. (I went in Girl Mode for the three Halloweens prior, but I spent the one not at a party with my ex, we went to an arcade)
    The one that surprised me the most was my Ex. As I'd not had any contact with her since she left me, and I have absolutely no idea how she could've found out. She told me she had heard about my transition and was "Proud of me"