1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Informed Consent

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by NoName87, Apr 28, 2020.

1. NoName87

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Has anyone in here used planned parenthood and their informed consent process for hrt?

If so, how long was the process? Did you feel happy with how it went?

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I didn't go through planned parenthood, they did not do informed consent when I first started on hormones. I did do a mixed track of informed consent and going through a therapist. I did it this way because it was when informed consent just started in my area. My therapist sent me to an informed consent clinic when I was ready to start because the wait at the other clinic was over a year and the wait at the informed consent clinic was around 6 months (again, this was when it first started). I went in and they explained the risks to me, and they took some blood work to make sure that there was not any medical issues that could stop me from starting. My doctor then asked about my support systems because he wanted to make sure that I was supported and had people to lean on as changes started to happen. He also asked if I had any history with mental health issues, which at the time I had only been diagnosed with what was then called gender identity disorder (it is now listed as gender dysphoria). I explained to him that I had been seeing a therapist about my gender issues. I then signed some paperwork that said that he had explained the risks to me. I then was taken to another room where the nurse taught me to inject testosterone intramuscular (IM). I'm not sure what hormones that you are looking to start on, but the doctor or nurses will go over how to take them safely. Once the results of your blood work come back, as long as everything is good and there are not any other issues, they will start you on hormones. Once again, sorry for not being specific, I'm not sure if you are looking to start estrogen (or other feminizing hormones) or testosterone.

Hawk and NoName87 like this.
  3. NoName87

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Thanks for the detailed answer! I am looking into the process for feminization hormones. I think I am out of the dreaming phase and may be ready to actually put in the work to be me.

BradThePug likes this.
  4. Phoenix92

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn’t go through a therapist for my hormones. I did however go the IC route. I went to my local Trans Resource Center on the day they had a nurse practitioner there.
    She was able to get me scheduled to see an Endocrinologist within a month.
    My Endo when I first saw him: I think I know why you’re here, but I want to here it from you.

so I told him, and I also explained how I was aware of side effects and risks. That day I started my HRT.

I felt thrilled about it.

NoName87 likes this.
  5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No problem! It can be scary to start going through the process at first, but over time it becomes easier. I know that a lot of people have had an easier time with informed consent now that it is really fully set up.

NoName87 likes this.