1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are there any therians on this site?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Stitchy, Apr 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stitchy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I know this isn't really an otherkin/ therian site but I don't know many otherkin people and I would like to meet some. I've been identifying as therian for around 3 years now and I only know people who are otherkin, not therian like me. Most of my friends are deitykin, demonkin, dragonkin. etc. but I'm the only one who's an earthly animal. I'm a coyote.

Also, I'm probably going to rant here a bit but it kind of bugs me when I see otherkin claiming to BE their kintype. Otherkin is thinking that your soul is in part or whole non-human whether that be due to reincarnation or a misplaced soul. I don't know but it bugs me a lot.

Anyways, if there are any therians here I would love to meet you!

2. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not one, and didn't know what this was until now.

Trying not to be judgmental, but googling what this stuff is...makes it sound like genuine insanity. Can you please explain why and how people think they are one of those things?

Especially the animals that don't exist...like dragons...I mean even assuming the soul thing is real, how can you possibly share a soul with a creature that has never existed in the first place?

3. Stitchy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Great question. Google really isn't the best place to get info about otherkin. Basically, it's when you believe that your spirit or soul is in part or whole that of an animal. Most real otherkin understand they aren't animals and they won't be until they die. But some tumblr and fake otherkin are really annoying and say that calling them a human makes them "dysphoric" and stuff like that that isn't true. And for the dragons and stuff like that, it depends on what you believe and stuff.

4. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey there! Welcome to EC!

I love non-human animals, and it seems you do too! :slight_smile: As a biologist, I'm always excited to learn more about them (as you can probably guess by my username, bats are one of my favorites, although I love cats and even animals that live in the sea!). I try to respect them as much as I can, and I hope one day humans and non-human animals will be able to coexist peacefully, without the problems that happen because of pollution and hunt.

With that said, and answering what you have said, it's important to note that there is no scientific evidence about what people call otherkin or therian, in the sense that there is no evidence that we have been from another species in a past life or that we have souls and that these aren't human.

I don't mean to disrespect anyone by saying this. However, it is important to separate what it means liking other animals (like studying about them, having a company animal, like house cats or dogs or even drawing art and creating characters with non-human characteristics) and what it means to identify as a non-human. I think it's great that most people enjoy nature and admire it, which includes animals, of course, but identifying as one of them is usually the result of a difficulty of discerning reality from fantasy, which may be related to other social struggles.

5. Stitchy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I can see where you're coming from but it's not like therians and otherkin think they ARE animals. That's a mental disorder. It's just a spiritual experience.

6. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's where it gets fuzzy to me. How can someone say they have the soul of an animal but not think they are an animal? That sounds like the same thing. Feeling a connection with certain animals doesn't mean you are one reincarnated. There are so many other reasons that could happen, including genetic evolution, where a person would feel a natural connection with animals from the part of the world they are descended from due to their ancestors seeing those animals a lot throughout history. Which is why people like pet dogs and cats, they've been human hunting companions for so long that they're practically part of our genetic memory now for people descended from Europe.

#6 Destin, Apr 28, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  7. Stitchy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Im not really sure how to answer that. The human brain works in weird ways.

8. Joelle b

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I’m not therian, but I’m faekin. I saw your post and I thought I might as well say hi, because I don’t know much about other kin but it is interesting to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.