1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am considering top surgery some day, but wonder if that would be weird.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Gahri01, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Gahri01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi! I am an 18 year old female. I dress androgynous and have non-binary vibes lol. I honestly don't care what pronouns people use, as long as they know my name and I know they are referring to me. Anyways! Even though I am technically cis female (whatever you want to call it from context) I am considering top surgery. I am not absolutely sure and even if I was, I wouldn't be able to get it done anytime soon. BUT, I am still considering it. I am comfortable with being female, I just see my masculine tendencies as part of my personality and don't see any reason to call myself trans. However, I don't see a point in menstruation or my chest because I don't plan on having children. Although that is still up to debate. I like the look of the male chest. I know my body looks "good" in a feminine way, but when I put my binder on, I like the look of a flat chest. I also don't like wearing bras. I wear light sports bras all the time cause I couldn't be bothered with all the fancy shit. The point is, I wonder if it's weird for an androgynous female to get top surgery? Any advice?

2. Phoenix92

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My ‘go-to’ advice is to bring this up with a therapist.
    However as a friend:
    You have stated you’re Non-Binary, as well as feminine leaning(if not in those words), so I’m guessing that T is not in the question.
    The non-binary could be enough to get you on the path to top surgery, you’d just need to talk with a therapist and have them deem surgery a good option for you. Which shouldn’t be too much of an issue for you, you’re 18(my own therapist has told me that as soon as I am ready we’ll get working on the paperwork for my procedure).
    That’s my advice, bring this up with a therapist. You are doing what you can right now by wearing a binder, keep that up, it’ll show conviction to a more neutral frame. Bring up the dysphoria associated with menstruation, as it can help bring about a hysterectomy, if you’re so wishing one.

3. Gahri01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you for your advice! I am just confused how talking to a therapist helps getting top surgery? Does it cost less? Or do they just help in pushing you through to getting one?

4. Phoenix92

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you’re not going a hormone route, you’ll need to be able to show that you can pass a psych evaluation to get top surgery.
    You’d need it with hormones, but in order to get any insurance to cover you’ll need it.
    It’s complicated and convoluted but long story short, they want to make sure that you’re not going to one day regret the decisions.

5. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    As and AMAB person, I can't speak from personal experience, but I think that a therapist would help you sort through your feelings and help you decide for yourself whether top surgery is right for you. I myself often wish I had a feminine body, so I sort of know what you're going through.