1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are you thinking?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mirko, Feb 28, 2017.

1. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    New job got delayed.

Time for a video game marathon I guess.

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your hard work is starting to pay off. It's great to read that you are happy about the results. :slight_smile:

3. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My classes are moving online next week, but I don't see much point in attending them in the current week. That is if they're even on, it keeps changing all the time.

4. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Update: They cancelled them.

5. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Might be an unpopular opinion, but I think that people's mental health is being/will be far worse affected by coronavirus than their physical health. Most will survive it if they get it but the constant worry, negativity and uncertainty will affect many, particularly if we end up on lockdown. People in the UK already losing their minds at schools staying open (although I think that it is probably a good idea provided that the schools are constantly being sanitised and overcrowding is avoided).

Terrible leadership isn't helping in certain countries - looking at you, Trump & Johnson. UK handling it fairly well IMO except for the fact that our Part-time Prime Minister is making very few speeches about it.

#8085 Joe2001, Mar 16, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  6. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm really struggling to figure out what to do. I really don't want to be in my apartment with my one roommate (the other abandoned ship as soon as our school closed) for the next month or two, but I really REALLY don't want to go home and potentially bring something with me and get my dad sick. He's got horrid asthma and always coughs like he's dying, even though he insists he's not high risk (personally, I call BS).

If anybody has any ideas of how I tackle this, I'm looking for any kind of advice. I live only an hour away, so hopefully if there were a full on quarantine, maybe I'd still be within the distance to reach them? I'm not sure though, because everything I've looked up about the laws regarding it are messy and unclear. It's not like I'd be commuting back and forth for the next two months, once I pick a place I'm staying there, I just don't know which place to pick. I miss my family terribly, but I'd never forgive myself if I got my dad sick, even with the precautions I'm taking.

7. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly I don't even understand why young people care at all about this. It does absolutely nothing to anyone who isn't old or has lung problems. Yet the ones freaking out are the young healthy people instead of the ones who could actually die from it.

8. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Agreed. I definitely trust your expertise given your field of study. Sadly the media just love to fear-monger although I do wish there was more certainty from the government as to what will happen next.

Do you have any suggestions as to what should be done? Do we need any sort of quarantine? The UK was considering quarantining over 70's and those who are vulnerable which I think could be a potentially good idea if it isn't going to cause too many problems for the younger and healthier people.

#8088 Joe2001, Mar 16, 2020
  9. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Now my gym has been closed (even though people keep plenty of distance there) - looking forward to gaining back the weight I lost.

This crisis keeps getting worse and worse...

#8089 Joe2001, Mar 16, 2020
  10. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's kinda like a hype-train that's hard to get off. I know realistically I probably won't get really sick from it and/or die, but it's more about being mindful about the more fragile people.

Ontario is recommending people 70 and older not to leave their houses. My dad (that I live with) is old and SO close to 70.

While I'm not going to sit in my basement for months straight, I don't see how being socially and cleanly mindful significantly hurts anyone.

11. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The problem with this particular virus is that the world has no way to mitigate it, and it'll take over a year to make a vaccine for it. So the one and only thing that can get rid of this in under a year is large-scale government shutdowns and quarantines like the one in Italy. We have absolutely nothing to help people with the virus, so the only way to stop it is to stop all social interaction entirely until all of the currently infected people are no longer sick, and the particles are no longer on inanimate objects (the virus lives about 3 days on cloth, and a few weeks on metal).

Unfortunately, total nationwide shutdowns like that result in trillions of dollars worth of economic damage so most countries are trying their best not to do it even though it's exactly what needs to be done.

12. DougTheBicycle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes I'm a good writer, but will I ever do anything with it? Will anyone read me? Will anyone care?

13. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Social distance and keeping up with washing your hands with soap and warm water could help to mitigate things. If you are out and about, it is okay to ask somebody to give you a bit more space, in particular if they are very close to you. Increase your distance to the person to about 2 metres or more if you feel more comfortable that way. In other words, when you are out and about, make sure you have space around you - avoid crowded areas, busy places, things like that. If you need to go to the supermarket or need something from the pharmacy, try to go during times when it is not too busy - if at all possible.

Make sure you clean your flat, room, etc perhaps more often that you usually would. When you touched surfaces, in particular in public areas, make sure to wash your hands afterwards.

In some respects, we don't want to hear more form the government(s) than we already do. If done right, it should be the public health officials or the chief medical officers of regions or countries that have most of the air time - not politicians.

As Destin indicated, and unfortunately, nobody knows what is going to happen next, or be able to provide any predictions. Lives will look a little different for a while - please keep in mind though it is not forever. The World Health Organisation has put out some suggestions on maintaining good mental health during this outbreak, which the BBC has posted on its website.

@Destin just a note on your comment on young people. There is now evidence that young people can be carriers of the virus - while they might not show any symptoms, or have very mild symptoms, they are still carriers and can infect others, including vulnerable populations. A public health official in the United States cringed and was appalled that young people didn't listen to the advice on social distance, and instead went to have a good time in a night club. A young person might think that they are healthy, nothing can happen to them but they can actually contribute to the spreading of the virus. And yes, while the majority of people recover, there have been cases where younger people have died. Being concerned about it, is actually good in this case, because you want people to listen and follow the advice of public health officials/medical officers every step of the way.

14. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My dad was saying that we may be having a lockdown for months. I really hope he's exaggerating. I could deal with a couple of weeks, 3 at most, but I actually don't know if I could survive several months on lockdown - I've struggled with my mental health for a long time and that would definitely be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

In addition, it feels like my life is totally collapsing - university closed, gym closed, Starbucks closed, recreational activities cancelled, matter of time before public transport is out and then a lockdown. Probably having to also cancel my summer vacation.

Part of me just wants to get the virus now and have it over with.

Sorry for whinging and sounding selfish but these things keep me going - if they aren't available and I have to stay home, I don't think I could cope.

15. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey! It's totally fine to write out your thoughts and fears. Never apologize for that.

One thing that has helped me with things so far, is not to think too far ahead. If you can, take things day by day. Try not to worry about the summer at this point. It might create more anxiety and fears than necessary.

While there are things you are not able to do at the moment, try to see if there are some things you could do as a substitute. (*hug*)

16. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can care about something without having to worry about personally dying from it. One of the highest risks of COVID-19 isn't the death rate, but the fact that many people who carry the virus are asymptomatic and could be passing it on to everyone around them without even knowing. Sure, I'm young and would probably survive--but what about my immunocompromised mother? What about my 80-year-old grandpa? What about my wife's 80-year-old grandparents? What about my coworker whose son just had heart surgery a few months ago? What about my pregnant coworkers? What about my roommate's parents, both of which are older and immunocompromised? What about my riding instructor with a two-month-old son?

Stop thinking about how the virus could affect you. Start thinking about how you could carry a virus that affects others.

17. Kyrielles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Guess these next few months will be interesting.. No work for almost 2 months for now at least and probably not the best time for me to job hunt. Lovely.

18. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm going crazy just being at home. I need this whole thing to be over already so I can go back to work and make money. I can't do this for anymore that a week or two.

Plus my job is not a work-from-home position, so I got nothing coming in.

19. Kyrielles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh man, I feel ya on this. I mean I'm a total introvert, but literally having to stay home and knowing is annoying.

And I am totally in the same situation. My job isn't a job I can just work from home and I have no work with no pay up until May for the time being. I've honestly considered trying to find a job which is difficult because everything is shut down around me basically, and factories that are sort of nearby (1/2 hours away) are closing after today, so I'm basically screwed after this month.

20. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Have you tried to make them care?

This is definitely not the right time in my life to put some Joy Division on...
    Maybe it's the time to dig deep on my chaotic email archive.
    Out of sync with my sports routine, but I just can't be bothered right now.