1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Married and questioning! Help!

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by KrisMurphy, Mar 7, 2020.

1. KrisMurphy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am so happy to find a page that might be able to help me.

Long story short I met my husband when I was in my early 20s. I came out as Bisexual years later...we have been married like 5 years now and we have a child. But now I am feeling like I am not bisexual after all...that I am actually a lesbian. (At best I might be homosexual and biromantic)

I dont know what to do. My child is only a year old. I feel like I wasted my husbands time. And now he is tied to me forever with a child. I love my child more than anything and they where planned. I dont want to come out to only find out I was wrong. I have no idea what to do or how I sort out my feelings.

Please tell me I'm not alone!

2. Bellflower

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You're definitely not alone. I had no idea how many people are living the same way, there are A LOT of us.

Reading the posts here should help you feel a little less isolated, and validate your feelings.

I know it is easier said than done, but we have to try to forgive ourselves for everything we didn't know.

ScottG and LostJedi like this.
  3. KJmusical

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You are most definitely not alone! I'm really glad you found this place. Last summer I found this place and stories similar to my own and it really helped me normalize both my feelings and my process.

My situation has some similarities and differences. I'm in my mid 30s, just hit ten years of marriage and have two young children. Like you've I've questioned my sexual orientation quite a bit this past year. After identifying as straight for my whole life (while knowing I'd experienced attraction to women) I finally owned up to the fact that I am bi. BUT after doing that, I definitely questioned whether in fact I'm actually gay, if my feelings for my husband were mostly friendship and from heteronormalization/societal expectations etc. It's been a long process of sorting through feelings, talking to a therapist, talking to close friends, and looking to the wisdom represented here. So I'm going to give you some things that have been helpful for me, but I want to emphasize this is all a process and I totally get how much you're freaking out right now and it's soooo hard and scary. I want to assure you that you're okay. You will be okay. You may need to go through some really hard things and your marriage may go through some hard things, but if you are taking care of yourself you will be okay. I hope you can give yourself the time and space to sort through these things with compassion for yourself, and that ultimately you find yourself a better person, better lover, better parent with more self-knowledge because of it.

Okay...first thing to consider is your marriage has been completely ROCKED with the addition of a child. Yes, it's the most normal thing ever, but kids totally change the dynamic of your marriage. Are you guys getting to go on dates and finding ways to stay connected? After being nearly seven years into this kid thing my partner and I finally had to to heed the advice to date your spouse. We finally get what that means and how necessary it is. It is really, really normal to feel disconnected from your partner right now. Less time, less energy, a huge change in roles, hormones if you're breastfeeding. That's hard on a marriage without any orientation issues. I've talked to a ton of straight friends who have experienced the same type of waning in their relationships. I also found that as I stepped into mommy world I was around a ton of women all the time! How strange that I suddenly felt my attraction to women increasing during that time! I was around all these hot mamas in the same stage as life as me, of course I found myself more drawn to them. It's not bad, it just is.

The other thing I've been able to draw on when I get scared about my marriage is, "I don't need to be attracted to a bunch of men. I just need to be attracted to ONE MAN." It honestly doesn't matter if I don't find another man attractive for the rest of my life. (I'd say my attractions right now are about 75% women, 25% men.) Can I live with and love my husband? If the answer to that question is yes, then we're good. If the question isn't yes, that's where there's a problem.

That's been my experience thus far. In this forum you're also going to find people who realized they were gay and had to slowly and kindly extricate themselves from those relationships. That may be the case for you, or it may not. I know it's scary. Try to take things one day at a time, even one hour at a time. Give yourself room to sort. I've found journaling and therapy helpful. Deep breaths, getting outside, knowing you don't have to figure this out right this second.

We are here for you to support you no matter where your process takes you!

ScottG and Landgirl like this.
  4. KrisMurphy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you both for the super supportive response! That's incredibly helpful for me just to know I am not alone.

Kjmusical part of my problem is that I have had this thought for years. Years ago (like 7) when I first came out as bisexual I wanted to date women and wished I could but I was like, "oh well I'm dating a man so I'm bisexual" then probably 3 years ago I actually posted in another lgbt forum that I thought I was gay and I even has thoughts even infidelity because I wanted to be with another women...but I am also scared to lose everything I have worked so hard for.

I'm also having the issue where I am not physically attracted to my husband and I have no desire to have sex with him...it has been a constant problem with us since we started dating. I just have no desire to have sex (with men). I mean...typing thay out now it makes it a little more obvious that maybe I wasnt into guys seeing as my desire to have sex with them is literally 0.

But I also have very limited experience with women. And I think it scares me.

This sounds horrible but I just want to be able to date a girl so I can know for sure that's what I want.

I dont know. I feel like a horrible person and I feel so unsure about everything in my life.

ScottG likes this.
  5. KJmusical

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wish I could give you a hug! You’re not a horrible person. The fact that you’re here and you’re hurting shows it. The fact that you’re conflicted but choosing to be kind to your partner shows it. I can definitely relate to wanting to be with a woman so I could know how it is. The heteronormative myth is a powerful one. If we’re on this part of the forum it means we bought into it along the way and we have to mourn our losses from it. When we’ve missed out on our true orientation it really is a grieving process.

Nic2552, Landgirl, Adz6 and 1 other person like this.
  6. SevnButton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    @Kristy , you are SO not alone! Thanks for joining us here and reminding the rest of us that we're not alone too. Even with each other, this is not an easy path, but it's way better with people who understand.

Nic2552 and KJmusical like this.
  7. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC. :slight_smile:

As others have said, you are definitely not alone. I felt the same way and was pretty much in the same situation (except from identifying as bisexual).

It’s a big change to contemplate, leaving your husband/partner and even more so when you have young children. There are so many unknowns involved and a lot of potential for feeling guilty. This all creates fear and it’s understandable that you are doubting yourself.

Try not to be hard on yourself. You never intended for this to happen. Take things slowly and break everything down into small steps. That might help things seem less overwhelming.

It might also help to separate your sexuality from your relationship and consider them separately. I’m not pushing you towards leaving, but you don’t sound happy and fulfilled in your relationship. Sexuality aside, is your relationship everything you want? My point is, don’t let guilt about your sexuality keep you stuck in an unhappy relationship.

I don’t think you’ve wasted your husbands life, but I understand your thinking. I felt the same way about my ex. With time, I made my peace with it and accepted that I hadn’t intended to mislead anyone. If this is a concern, then giving both your husband and yourself the opportunity to find people that you’re more compatible with is the better way forward. You’ve not ruined his whole life.

Of course, it’s entirely your decision and it’s a lot to process, so be kind to yourself and take your time.

Landgirl likes this.
  8. ceceann

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I can empathize with not wanting to come out and be wrong—I worry about that, too, as I'm married with kids. I'm only out to my therapist. It seems to be a confusing time for those of us in the same boat as you. And no, you are not alone!

ScottG likes this.
  9. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC. :slight_smile:

I think this concern is fairly common. In this situation in particular, there’s a lot at stake so it’s understandable.

Can you think of specific reasons to doubt your feelings? It helped me to consider all my doubts individually and work through them.

#9 LostInDaydreams, Mar 8, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
  10. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey be kind to yourself, you are not alone and you didnt do this intentionally.

It is a difficult thing to sort through. Perhaps something to think about is regardless of thinking of future relationships could you see yourself in your current situation for the rest of your life?

11. KrisMurphy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you so much for the replies everyone.

My relationship isn't everything I would hope in a relationship. But I do care for him and I dont want to hurt him. It's been like 12 years since we started dating and I feel like I wasted 12 years of his life.

But I also know if his happiness didnt play a factor I would have a much easier decision.

My fears of being wrong? Honestly? What if no one else can love me? I think I'm afraid of being alone. I dont think I could see myself in the same situation forever. But I feel like a ticking timb bomb who is just going to hurt everyone near me

ScottG likes this.
  12. KrisMurphy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Let me just say that whether or not you are straight as an arrow or land somewhere on the LGBTQ spectrum.

Marry someone who is a good person.

I talked with my husband last night about everything. He didnt even bat an eyelash. He assured me that it's not my fault and that whatever happens or changes him and I will both be parents for our son and he doesnt regret at all the years he has spent with me.

13. Caraldo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Good to hear that you talked to him.

14. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey that is a really positive update. I am sure there are many people who could love you. I understand why it is all so difficult but you never intentionally hurt anyone. I am sure when time has passed and you look back you will also see the good in the time you had together.

15. Fuzzy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My advice would be to be honest with your husband and unless he decides to end things, just take your time.

16. Quidditch

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Haha, you sound EXACTLY like me. Down to the details. I'm wondering what to do too, that why I'm here. Just know that you aren't alone! I'm glad to know I'm not..

17. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wellcome to EC. It might help to write down some of things that are going through your head, and if you want to, share them on EC. I found the insights of other members really helpful.

There’s no rush to reach a decision and it’s a big thing to process. Take your time.

Nice username too. :slight_smile:

18. Quidditch

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I actually made a post and then requested for it to be deleted because I was so embarrassed about my situation and no one had said anything.

I've been journaling and thinking about it all day every day which stresses me out to no end. I think I know what I need to do but I can't bring myself to do it, and I'm currently working through a lot of shame and self hatred right now...

Thanks! I LOVE Harry Potter. Haha.

19. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey, welcome. I think a lot of people sign up and then wonder what made them do it but often it turns out to be a really helpful decision. Take some time, read some stories or if you want some help with something specific write and thread and we will help where we can.

20. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ah, that’s a shame. Activity on the forum goes up and down. Stick it out though, because it is a really friendly and supportive place. Post again and I’ll reply. Haha.

I can remember feeling the same. Could not think about anything else and it made me quite anxious.

You’re welcome to post on my wall too, but you’ll need to post 10 messages on the main forum first.

I also love Harry Potter. Which house are you? :slight_smile:

Nic2552 likes this.