1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is it still such a big deal when a celeb comes out?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Joe2001, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is getting on my nerve a lot.

A household name in the UK - Phillip Schofield - came out today. He's one of the main presenters on ITV.

I understand why he and other celebs come out publicly, however, it really frustrates me when I see the news, social media or papers trying to make stories out of it. It's not homophobic but it is certainly doing nothing to normalise it either.

Seriously, why is it deemed so important by the media and even by the public? Aren't there more important things to focus on? It's 2020 FFS.

When will this stop being such a big deal and be normalised?

2. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    First of all, it's still assumed that you are straight until you say otherwise. Secondly, the media has an obsession with celebrities and their relationships. People want to know who is dating who. I also suspect that for some celebs, coming out means more attention, which may be something they had been lacking for a while. While it doesn't mean that they are not gay, the timing of their coming out could be for publicity.

3. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a big deal because, as you just said, he's a household name. If he were a less famous celebrity, then it probably wouldn't be in the news, just the odd chat show.

4. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Because people put too much stock in what famous people do or say.

5. LostSeto

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I feel the same way. I couldn't help cringing when everyone applauded him on set.

Like yeah good for him for being himself but it just makes it seem like gay people aren't normal

Things like this stop me coming out because I don't want this special attention.

Also his poor wife tho. That's just my thoughts on it

6. Kyrielles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I personally am thrilled to hear/see a celebrity come out.. Imo it on some level helps normalize people like us to straight people, and it also gives more representation to our community. I would definitely applaud a celeb for coming out, alot of us are terrified of coming out to just our family or a few friends, could you imagine the courage it would take to come out to basically the world. Not to mention there's also a risk they take by coming out, it could possibly and actually has ruined careers or made it more difficult for them to get work... All around I applaud anyone for coming out, especially a celebrity!

7. Poofter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think in cases like Phillip Schofield, there’s a shock value to it. Just like my coming out after two marriages and being older. It was unexpected. When an actor/actress enters the scene out, like Peter Paige or RuPaul, the media doesn’t circle around that. While yes they will mention the persons orientation and usually list events and philanthropy that they have done in support of the community. When they become famous out its more just a mention in passing.

I think the media is making it big because it was a surprise to his fan base and therefore doing the story increases ratings.

I applaud him for being courageous enough to come out publicly, he could of just got divorced and went about his private life off the radar. But, he chose to make a line in the sand and step across. I say well done!

8. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some celebs don't have a private life in the same sense that we have private lives, because they discuss a lot of personal things on their shows. Especially with daytime TV like This Morning and Loose Women, the presenters frequently talk about their families and relationships, and how they relate their family life to current events etc.

Phillip Schofield has always spoken openly about his wife and kids, and everybody who watches him has this image of him being a perfect husband and father. So if he were to come out privately without letting his audience know, then it would come about that he's getting divorced from his wife, and then that would be in the news, with everyone getting suspicious and asking "why are they breaking up if they've got this perfect marriage? Why isn't he explaining why he's getting divorced after so many years of telling the world how wonderful his family life is?" and we know celebrity divorces always make big news.

Coming out on This Morning was really him making people aware that he's going through this change in his life and getting it out in the open, before the press and paparazzi could start hounding him and tearing him apart and blowing things out of proportion. Some famous people have had details about their sexuality and sex lives exposed in ways that aren't exactly dignified.

9. Pole star

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do not watch his shows, never have. Some months back I saw him in a tv commercial with a puppy. For some reason I strongly felt he was gay. Don’t know why. I just assumed he was single.

10. Poofter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do understand your point. And good for him in being out in front of it

11. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I also agree with your point about how some celebs don't need to come out, people can just easilly make assumptions about them, from the way they express themselves and behave in front of their audiences. Look at Rylan Clark, he first appeared on x-factor prancing around like a fairy princess, wearing Kylie Minogue's snood. There was absolutely no need for him to come out as a gay man after achieving celebrity status.

Whereas Phillip Schofield has been living as a straight man in the public eye for even longer than Rylan has been alive. And it's happened with a lot of people his generation, getting married and having kids and not coming out until they're older. And there still are younger gay men in straight marriages hiding in plain sight, so to speak. So I do think it's important for some gay men's coming out stories to be shared, because there are so many different kinds of stories.

12. Rade

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The news article and it being all over FB, was enough. It didn't warrent a spot on the this morning programme. I saw it on FB and if I'm honest it was way over the top. I've been in his shoes, married and kids but I came out at 42. If I was him I certainly wouldn't want it all over TV.

13. BiGemini87

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel like it's such a double-edged sword. Like on one hand, people will see this and finally start thinking "it's more acceptable" for other people to come out (why a celeb has to do it first for that to be the case is beyond me) but on the other, it just sensationalizes the whole thing--and if/when other people do come out, it's questioned whether they really are *insert orientation/gender identity*.

But to fair (as others have stated) people put a lot of stock in what celebs are doing, orientation be damned. So it could just as easily be about keeping the celeb relevant as any other thing they could drag into the spotlight.

14. Lalayajen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't know how that person is but I am always thrilled when Celebs come out.
    I live in a very conservative country. Just until a few years ago my parents would change channels on TV if there were a slight mention of homosexuality but now since many of their came outfavorite celebrities it has become normalized for them, not that I can come out but they at least don't call them names!