1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What’s excited you lately?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by musicteach, Jan 24, 2020.

1. musicteach

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To me that’s the absolute worst part of being a band director. For most of my students, I have them 4 school years. I interact with them more than the average teacher because of afternoon rehearsals, games, and other events.

2. musicteach

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Follow up:

In order to give you context, the way the band sits in the band room is that they have their backs to the double doors from the hallway, but I can see anyone at the door. This is done intentionally because they’re easily distracted. But anyways we were doing warm ups and had just basically wrapped it up when I saw them standing at the door. I was business as usual and we went right into music we’re working on.

Now, you should know that when the band is playing, you don’t hear that door open. There’s alot of them and that door is quiet. So we carried on went into what we were doing and they came in the back. Their dad comes in, grabs drum sticks you know shushing percussion and everything. At this point, percussion knows what’s up and is playing along.

One of my biggest pet peeves is either you start playing before everyone does, or you continue to play after the cutoff has already been given. And everyone knows it. Percussion knows it because they’re usually the ones I fuss at. So we’re playing and I give the cut off and their dad is now playing snare and he just keeps going.

At this point, everyone turns around to look at percussion and give the look of shame, basically. It took a second to fully register what was going on, but when it did those two jumped out of their chairs. I was momentarily afraid of a flying tuba and saxophone. Luckily their neighbors grabbed instruments and help put them down basically — in ensemble life, nobody wants to get smacked with an instrument.

All in all, I’d say it was a great surprise.

3. PatrickStr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I made some decisions regarding the next stage of my career and started planning out what I need to make happen to make it possible. It has been a while since I felt this energized and motivated about work -- which is probably a good sign I am making the right decision.

4. musicteach

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It’s probably a good sign indeed! I’m glad! Good luck to you!

5. musicteach

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I swear marching band excites me. I was true to my word, and have the marching band all of January off. Well, it’s February now, and all bets are OFF. We’ve got stuff to do! The music for the show for the spring came in yesterday so while I do have to tweak it a little, I think it’s going to be such a fun show. The staff and myself went and had dinner last night and got started drawing up ideas. This is going to be such a fun show. The music is challenging, and the drill is complicated.

There’s so many logistics that go into performing an amazing marching band show. So this competition is timed, the band will have 15 mins to perform and then get off the field. The clock starts after the drum majors render their salute and are given permission to take the field. It stops when the last member of the band is off the field and onto the track (to pass in review). We’re predicting a 9 minute run time for the show, which leaves us 6 mins to get off the field. Oh and did I mention we’re taking 513 members of the marching band? That includes our high school members and our 8th graders.

Now’s the time for our 8th graders auxiliary members to step up to the plate. That’s why we’re getting started now. The band as an 0800 report time for today. And it all starts with the basics. That’s exciting to me. In a month, these guys will be able to perform this show in all of its complicated glory. And then we have a few more weeks to clean it up.

If the drum line in this show doesn’t pump you up, dunno what will.

6. musicteach

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Man I just wanna add to this. We had two great rehearsals this weekend and we made alot of progress.

With our student athletes, our athletic department takes a different approach. It’s not about being the best, the strongest, the fastest, or the most precise. But rather the goal for today is to always be better than ourselves from yesterday, and to set the bar higher for ourselves for tomorrow.

7. Fishtail

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I tried a variety of vegan meat slice and i found my favourite so far. Just 1 more to go to see what tastes the best.:yum:

In "Detroit become human" I got to see the Kamski ending without letting all 3 die and was very surprised;
    because others wrote you have to let the 3 character die you control to get to this hidden(?) ending.:smile_cat:

I listen to the CD that was in my "persona 4 dancin all night premium box" i almost forgot i had
    and it was very nice to listen to when i eat breakfast.:dvd:

8. musicteach

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Very nice!

9. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The cooking that I have done as of late has proven to be more exciting that I thought it would be. For some reason, it really got me into trying out new dishes and looking at more recipes. The other thing that has gotten me excited (and at the risk of sounding nerdy), discussing a book with one of my co-workers, which we have agreed to read together. We have started having book chats on a regular basis, which I really enjoy. :slight_smile:

10. musicteach

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One cooking is great. It’s a technical skill that allows for creative expression (through food). And who said nerds aren’t cute? I’m a band geek and proud of it.

11. Nightlight

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I went to a trip to Japan.....

In my dreams last night. It was fun.

12. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Was meaning to grow my hair out long and to keep it virigin but an hour ago I put some dye in and now I'm excited to see how it turns out

13. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've rediscovered Magic: The Gathering last year and I'm still having a blast playing it almost every week (Pauper and Commander are amazing!). Unfortunately, although I met LGBT+ people in a city near me that play the game (the LGBT+ groups in my city are more frequently found in parties, which I don't enjoy), I've still to meet non-heterosexuals at my local game store. Still, the people there are nice and I've found a social activity I like in this game. I'm excited to keep playing and meet more people!

14. musicteach

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That’s great! My better half plays that out at least he did. He hasn’t really played in a while. He tried to get me into it but I never really got into it.

So a while back, around thanksgiving of 2018, my fiancé met this kid and his brother and he like have them some food, took them to a church to get warm. Since then, all three of us (me, fiancé, and my son) have gotten kind of attached to them. We had to go to court yesterday because we had put in paperwork to adopt them. The court ruled in our favor, and we officially adopted two fantastic boys last night. We brought them home today and it went so well.

#34 musicteach, Feb 8, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  15. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's cool! There's also MTG Arena nowadays, if you want to start. Paper is much, much more fun, but it may be scary for new players.

That's really nice of you! I hope everything goes well!

16. musicteach

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Heh I’m gonna be honest I’ve fiddled with it and could never really get interested. Kinda like playing saxophone... Never could get that to cooperate either. Surprisingly just about the only woodwind instrument I’m good at is bassoon, which is one of the hardest instruments to master because of the double reed.

All three of the kidos slept in the living room last night. We had like a movie night last night and they passed out. So we just left them and that’s how they slept.

17. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on the adoption! It's very nice that you guys decided to adopt. :slight_smile:

18. musicteach

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you!

19. musicteach

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tomorrow is going to be all sorts of fun. We gotta get them registered for school. Thankfully, everything is already done paperwork wise. It’s it’sa matter if the registrar doing their things.

20. Fishtail

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I really like orchestra versions of songs, do this (your?) band happen to take request and is it a profacional or a hobby band?
    Sadly the fist 6 videos have static sound. :disappointed: