1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Phillip Schofield comes out as gay

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Devil Dave, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

British TV presenter Phillip Schofield has announced on social media and on This Morning that has come to terms with his sexuality. He has been married to his wife for over 30 years and they have two daughters together.

I think the team on This Morning handled Phillip's interview very well. They focused on talking about his family and how they reacted to his coming out. There were no nosy questions about his sexual attraction to other men, just him admititng that he is gay, and that his family and friends still love him. He's not even thinking about future relationships yet, he's only just begun his new chapter as a gay man at the age of 57.

I think some users on this site might find watching his interview quite helpful to relate to and inspiring, particularly some of those who use the late in life forum to discuss the challenges of coming out at a late age.

There will no doubt be a lot of hate comments posted on social media, as is often the case when a celebrity comes out. I'm going to avoid looking for any negative reactions and getting into any online debates. Whether you're a fan of Phillip Schofield's work or not, he is a big TV personality who has shared his coming out experience, and I am interested to see what will come next for him, and how his story affects others.

2. Rade

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm really pleased for him. It was all over the BBC news. If I'm honest I don't think a slot on the this morning programme was needed. The news reports were enough, but yeah I'm pleased and I'm sure he will find a man who makes him happy. It's all over Facebook too....

3. Oliverrrrr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not a fan of his work, but only because I'm a miserable sod who doesnt even have a tv.

But, as is so often the case, how neither he or anyone else didnt know he was gay is beyond me. I would have said it was totally obvious and tbh I'm totally surprised he wasnt out years ago - i'd assumed that he was!

That said, he's now free to cover and attend Pride, give trans issues more serious mainstream attention etc, and hope he's happier now.

4. Loves books

I’m happy from him. To be honest I never thought about his sexuality one way or another I don’t watch This Morning so I have only seen the odd episode of other shows he presents. My mother was surprised he was gay because she knew he was married. She was talking about how great it was and then I pointed out how a week or so ago there was a story on the radio about a man who came out after 16 years of marriage and how hurt his wife was that he said he always knew he was gay. She thought that guy was horrible for marrying a woman and lying all those years. Apparently the difference is Phillips family is supportive. It’s great he came out finally.

5. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I missed the whole thing because I had gone out early to work outdoors so I didn't watch any TV or see anything online. Then when I got home in the early afternoon and saw it being reported on the news, I was like "....oh...." and then I went to watch it on youtube.

It was nice to watch the whole segment because Holly, Ruth and Eamon treated him in a very dignified manner, and that's what people want when they come out, I think we forget sometimes. I think even when people are being supportive, they can do it in an insensitive manner, and subject you to an onslaught of stereotypes. Oh, you're gay, that's great! Lets take you out to all the gay bars and hook you up with some hot guys. Oh, you've come out. Does that mean you're gonna start wearing sequin vests and dancing to Diana Ross?

It can feel like people who are close to you suddenly start treating you like you're becoming another person. And here we've seen that Phillip is surrounded by the people he knows and loves and they aren't treating him any differently. So I hope a lot of straight friends and relatives of gay people can learn from this story as well.

I have met some men who never cheated on their wives, either they came out before having any homosexual experiences, or their sexuality was discovered without them having any any secret affairs with men behind their wives backs, and they've ended up divorcing and remaining good friends. And that's obviously what Phillip is dealing with now, if he had gone off with any men, it would no doubt have been spotted and put all over the newspapers and magazines as a big scandal. So it is good to know that Phillip and his family are dealing with his coming out in a positive and responsible manner, and there's been no shaming or ugly arguments.

Not that I judge gay or bi men who do have affairs with men behind their wives backs, if it happens, it happens. It's not really my place to judge other people's passions and how their relationships fall apart. It's just encouraging and refreshing to see that Phillip's family and career are not being tainted by his coming out, his life is not falling apart, it's more like he's going through a development.

6. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    One sees all the young people on social media that dare to be themselves and you think, if only that could be me. Well, it was me about a year ago at this time. Hardest thing I ever done, but life is so much better now! Saw the YouTube a couple of days ago, really proud of him!

Dean