1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News A Possble Candidate?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by angeluscrzy, Nov 20, 2019.

1. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not sure how many of you know him but seriously this guy is the first openly gay male to run for president
    Hie is a military vet, mayor of South Bend Indiana and he is just so exquisite when he talks. This guy really could use our support.
    PLUS he has a husband that has supported him though out his campaign.
    Pls like him on your social media and spread his name. He can bring class back to politics.

2. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Somehow I didn't say his name. It's Pete Buttigieg. Like, really, look him up. He is 37 and could be the youngest man to be elected president.

3. Regaen

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He could be good, true. I've read some of his stances on the issues. Certainly it would be good for the community to have an openly gay president, but there's a few things that would make him a no for me. His stances on abortion, and charter schools. And he doesn't make a lot of sense in some areas... He wants to increase the defense budget while brining the troops home? If there are no more troops over there to be funded what the heck do they need to increase the budget for?

But yeah, for me it's mostly the schools and abortion. Charter schools help serve areas traditional schools can't. I went to one. Without charter schools my high school life would have been horrid. An intelligent androgynous asexual in public high school? Not cool. And making abortions a free for all is just going to encourage bad behavior. I am pro choice don't get me wrong, but there's a difference between pro choice and pro recklessness. People need to learn to use birth control.

Plus, just because hes gay doesn't mean anything will happen for us on that front. Anything he tries will still have to get passed by Senate and Congress...

4. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    He's a closet Republican who takes many far-right stances on a lot of the issues. He may be openly homosexual and an alleged Democrat, but he's really nothing more than a Log Cabin Republican. And isn't there a law that says you can't be President until you're 40? If he's 37 he's legally unable to be sworn in. Even JFK was already in his 40s when he was sworn in. I don't like Pete at all. For me it's either Andrew Yang or Bernie Sanders who I'd like to see become President. The rest of them are corporate establishment Democrats who like things just the way they are.

5. warholwendy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The age to be eligible for the presidency is 35.

6. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Mayor Pete has a better shot of getting the Democratic Park nod than Joe Biden or Liz Warren. I don't want to get into a giant ass political debate amongst the community here but Mayor Pete is a moderate(he's not that super left like Bernie Sanders I mean) plus he's a veteran plus he's LGBT and to a less degree he's a white male(not saying that's a big deal)

7. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Just one more piece of misinformation I received from my father, then. I was always old you had to be 40. I guess he got what he paid for when he went to a Christian college.

8. Chizu

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't want to vote for a gay candidate just because he's gay. You could just as easily make the case that Warren should be president because she'd be the first female president, or Bernie because he'd be the first Jewish president, or Yang because he'd be the first Asian American president, etc. Obama became the first African American president because he offered a vision and policies that distinguished him from a field of other candidates. As far as I'm concerned, Pete hasn't offered me any vision or policy stance that distinguishes him positively from the other candidates in the Democratic primaries. Bernie and Lizzie might be straight, but they have proven themselves to be excellent allies, and have offered plans for America that would be better than the status quo. If a moderate democrat like Pete is your cup of tea, then go ahead and vote for him, he'd probably be better than Biden, but I've already crossed him off my list.

9. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Honestly I would prefer Elizabeth Warren get the nod, but I do think she may be a bit too left for many people. I can't say I'd truly see Pete Buttigieg winning, but for someone who wants to get at least back more towards the middle, maybe Mayor Pete wouldn't scare some quite as easily.

10. Tritri

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Pete Buttigieg? Not the worst of the democrats, but he's too bland and pro-establishment for me. I really don't like his hawkish foreign policy.
    I won't vote for him in the primaries. If he somehow got the nomination, I won't vote for him in the general either, unless I find myself living in a swing state by then.

#10 Tritri, Nov 24, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  11. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like him, but not sure who I'll vote for in the primary yet. Whoever the nominee is I'll absolutely vote for them in the general. Even if you don't like all of the nominee's policy goals, they'll have to work with congress to get bills passed which takes time and compromise. I don't see how any of them can be worse than trump.

12. GayTurtle

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I like Mayor Pete a lot. I actually just agree with him on almost all the major policies, e.g. public option > forcing medicare on everyone, and a nice bonus is that IMO he speaks very eloquently. Even if that makes me a "closeted republican" in the eyes of some :joy:. A public option would literally make our healthcare system the most left-leaning it has ever been.

13. CatWho

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    While I do like Pete, he's not my first choice. ...But boy would I love to see Chasten as first gentleman!